1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help! I only get 1hp when I level up

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by spoogemonkey, May 14, 2003.

1. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] The last few times I've had a character level up they only got 1 HP .... ??

What am I doing wrong?

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A mage beyond level 9 always gains 1HP per level up.

Otherwise, the HP you gain when leveling up is determined randomly if you play with Core Rules difficulty. So you might have had a string of bad luck.

Oh, and another possibility is if you have a low Constitution score maybe... but I'm not too sure how CON works to affect HP gains.

3. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Constitution affects only first nine levels. After that, you get one point per level, and there are no modifiers.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Zvijer

Actually, you do get modifiers. My Barbarian with 19 Con was getting 3hp/level after 9th. You get 1pt per level, plus your Constitution bonus.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes but thats becouse barbarians are warriors. Here is how it works.

1 HP: Sorcerer, Mage, Special Mage
    2 HP: Cleric, Druid, Bard, Thief
    3 HP: Ranger, Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Monk(I think)

This is after level nine. When you are before you get to roll a dice and add the modifiers.

Dice:

D4: Sorcerer, Mage, Special Mage
    D6: Cleric, Druid
    D8: Bard, Thief, Monk(I think)
    D10: Ranger, Fighter, Paladin
    D12: Barbarian

Modifiers:

0-1 CON -5
    2-3 CON -4
    4-5 CON -3
    6-7 CON -2
    8-9 CON -1
    10-11 CON 0
    12-13 CON +1
    14-15 CON +2
    16-17 CON +3
    18-19 CON +4
    20-21 CON +5

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    @ Rutkowski This is for 3E BG use 2E of AD&D the Con works this way

1-14 =0
    15 = 1
    16 = 2
    17 = 3
    18 =4
    19 =5

and after 19 I...I don't know... :sosad:

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ok I thought it was the same with the modifiers in 2E. Don't play much 2E, 3E is much better.

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Your right

9. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

And remember that non-warrior characters have maximum constitution bonus +2.

So, the table seems like this:
    3-5 -1
    6-14 0
    15 +1
    16 +2
    17 +2 (+3)
    18 +2 (+4)
    19-20 +2 (+5)
    21-23 +2 (+6)
    24-25 +2 (+7)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.