1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Amanda Knox

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Any law professionals here have an opinion on the latest developments with Amanda Knox? I'm assuming the US has extradition with Italy, but would we be so quick to hand her over into a double-jeopardy system? From what I've heard, she doesn't have to appear for the re-trial, though she can if she wants. (I think if I was her, Italy would be dead last on my list of potential international travel destinations.)

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    They have said there is no means by which the Italian Court could compell her to return, but that she could be tried in abstentia. The US does have an extradition agreement with Italy. It had not even occurred to me that owing to the double jeopardy rules here, it may not be followed. I also don't know if it's completely relevant either - it is my understanding that the US would extradite people based on the laws of the nation where the crime was committed. Evidently double jeopardy does apply in Italy's legal system.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

My understanding is weak, but it is that the USA will not send her back to face double jeapardy. They can convict her in absentia, but unless she is stupid enough to return there -- or to travel to a country willing to extradite her to Italy -- she should be safe and sound in the USA. A pity, really, because from what I remember of the story she is a repulsive individual (despite her attempts to look innocent on the stand during trial) and she deserves the harshest of punishments.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would like to hear from the lawyers here. Does this really constitute Double Jeopardy as defined under US law? It is my understanding that Italy follows Roman law.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know how much purchase double jeopardy has with continental jurisdictions. But what I can say is that so long as one of the parties with a right of appeal makes use of it within the time permitted for appeal, the case itself is treated as not yet resolved with finality. That means that double jeopardy has not yet been triggered.

Nakia likes this.
  6. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, even if the double jeopardy is not activated, her lawyers in the USA will argue that she will face cruel and unusual punishment in Italy, and that their system is biased against her, and . . . . a million other things that a clever lawyer can come up with. Bottom line, I see the Dalai Lama becoming the next Pope after Pope Francis converts to Zoroastrianism before I see the USA extraditing Amanda back to Italy.

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Again a question to the lawyers from any nation. If the USA refuses to recoginize the laws of Italy and our agreement of extradition how would that affect our standing with them and other countries? Can the USA expect other countries to uphold our laws and requests for extradition?

Vorona likes this.
  8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Purely a political question. And it's not like it hasn't been done to the US before right? Two words: Roman Polanski.

Nakia likes this.
  9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Hmmm.... But I'm near certain that it doesn't work that way in the US. And by that I mean while it is possible to appeal a guilty verdict, I have never heard of a not guilty verdict being appealed. Two words: Casey Anthony.

I was under the impression that France does not have an extradition treaty with the US.

Although the really odd case of extradition involves Julian Assange (remember Wikileaks?), who has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy in London for about a year now. That one I don't get at all. He's wanted on charges in Sweden, and would also likely face extradition to the US. However, I don't know why/how he can gain asylum in an Ecuadorian embassy, because I'm not aware of him having Ecuadorian citizenship. I thought he was Australian.

10. Gaear

Media:
    I was under the same impression as Aldeth, though of course I'm not a lawyer so my legal impressions don't carry much weight. ;)

I notice an edit at the bottom of the linked article:

I have to admit I don't really know what that means.

At any rate, why does every story I read about this tout the double-jeopardy angle?

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It almost sounds like if you are found guilty, and appeal, and then have the conviction reversed, the prosecution can then try you again....

Which still sounds like double jeopardy (at least), as you're now facing a 3rd trial on the same charges!

Best 2 out of 3?

12. Gaear

Media:
    Yeah, weird.

Wiki says:

If that's the case, why don't we see a glut of retrials for every overturned conviction? Or do we and I'm just not aware of it?

13. Wolfrick Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Julian Assange has been given political asylum,he is not a criminal in the tradional sense.The U.S can say all they want that he is a spy-traitor to the western world-evil made flesh or whatever they want,when all he did was to expose every embarrasing secret the U.S wanted to keep secret.

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Candidly, double jeopardy doesn't really come into play here, since it is an American concept that doesn't apply in every country. That said, it really isn't needed. We grant asylum to foreign nationals that escape oppressive regimes or unjust imprisonment and come to live in the United States already. I'm pretty sure we'll extend the same privilege to any American found guilty in what we judge to be a kangaroo court without a second thought.

We can and we will refuse to extradite her. Due the circumstances surrounding her previous conviction, Italy lacks both the credibility and political clout to demand such a thing anyway. They won't even try.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never been able to reconcile if she is guilty or not. However, I'm pretty sure if I was single I would never want to date her.

dmc likes this.
  16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would, but I wouldn't allow bondage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.