1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stalkers hide better than shadowdancers?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm sitting here trying to decide which class I want to make now and I'm noticing that a Stalker gets +20% MS & HiS, but a SHADOWdancer only get's +10% to these skills? Also noticing the Beastmaster gets +15% to those to skills???? This is crazy.

Why is this? Is it simply an oversight when the SHADOWdancer was added to the game with the EE version? Or is there a reason that makes sense?
    Sure the SHADOWdancer is training in the other thief skills as well but it just doesn't make sense to me???

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Keep in mind that both the Stalker and Beastmaster are ranger kits, and the shadowdancer is a thief kit.
    rangers do not get to spend points into their hide in shadows/move silently, but just get a flat bonus each level. They get a bonus of 6-7% per level, and will eventually cap at 99% maximum.
    The shadowdancer gets 20 points to spend o all thieving skills each level - and while you might want to favor open locks/find traps early on, will be able to put more popints into hide in shadows in the long run.
    Aditionally, the appeal of the shadowdancer is the special abilities that only they get access to :
    Being able to hide in the shadows while still in view of the enemy is a huge thing - allowing you to get off much more backstab attempts compared to other thieves or stalkers.
    You can potentially go into a battle with a backstab, hide in shadows when you hit the attack and try to go in for another backstab right away.
    The Shadowstep ability is also great to have, basically giving you a free mini timestop. Though you cannot attack anyone, it is perfect to reposition or as a panic button when you are close to death - you can back away safely while everyone is standing in place, giving you time to heal up.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The don't cap at 99%. I just checked out:
    a 7th level stalker = 99 MS & 94 HiS
    a 12th level stalker = 134% MS & 129 HiS
    a 16th level stalker = 162% MS & 157 HiS

7th level ranger (no kit) = 79 MS & 74 HiS
    12th level ranger (no kit) = 114% MS and 109% HiS.
    16th level ranger (no kit) = 142 MS & 137 HiS

I used a half-orc so there are no racial adjustments there.
    All had Dex of 18 so they each can chop off a slice of 10% to both MS & HiS but they still go over 99%

They all had a dex of 18 so there's no dex adjustments between them all.

I know the kits are for their classes when comparing the shadowdancer to all of these. That's another reason they should get more.

Oh well. Can't eat ALL of the cake. :tobattle:

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They changed that in the EEs, then, because in vanilla BG, the MS and HiS was defiinitely capped at 99%.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.