1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition PST: EE

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition' started by Taluntain, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm just going to put this thread here until it's 100% official, but it's almost certain right now that Beamdog is making an "enhanced" version of the (cult) classic Planescape: Torment.

There's a countdown timer: http://planescape.com/

And this part of the page source "secret="0x50 0x53 0x54 0x45 0x45" translates to "PSTEE".

One of the game testers (?) is apparently posting screenshots on 4chan:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As long as they don't try to inject godawful new content into our beloved Torment, I'll definitely be playing this. After a few years of patches...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The screenshots are not working for me, but I wonder what an EE of PS:T is supposed to bring. To my mind, PS:T doesn't need a game mechanic overhaul, its main attraction is the story.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's probably what they'll do - add a zoom feature, give the game modern resolution support, consolidate all bug fixes, and incorporate the original highres artwork if they have access to it.
    I know you coulds do most or all of this by modding the original game, but having an enhanced edition of PS:T would be really nice all the same, and might attract some new players to it as well.
    Pretty smart of them to ride the coattails of Torment : Tides of Numenera like that if you ask me.

Here's the mirrored images Tal posted :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just hope they'll do a good job with videos. Ps:T probably has more video files than any other IE game.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Dear lord, I hope that they don't touch the videos. It would have been infinitely better if they'd just left the original BG1 ones than the amateurish mess that they replaced them with.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    They can't really afford not to. Those videos are tiny and dated as hell. Unless, of course, they have the original pre-renders and they can resize them.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't get this "can't afford not to". Just resizing the original ones would still look infinitely better than what their pocket allowance budget allows them to do as far as "replacements" go. Good animation upscaled or however resized is still miles ahead of any kind of junior modder level replacements. At the least it should be an option. I'd rather see compression artifacts up close than the kind of embarrassing "video" that they inserted into BG1.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's next to impossible to resize a video to such a degree within any acceptable margins. Not without the original source files that could be used to rerender them.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm sure the source files aren't available any more so that's not an option. I'm not sure what you mean by "acceptable margins", but the original videos look just fine resized. Definitely better than what Beamdog is capable of replacing them with.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    "Just fine" is up for debate. The new videos are horrible, but the old ones are equally unacceptable for the current market as far as I'm concerned.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Looking at the above video, I honestly can't see anything that would make them unacceptable given that we're not talking about a new game here but YMMV.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It's not a new game for us, but it's an overhauled game sold at a considerable markup. Shipping it with 640x480 videos stretched to 1920x1080 is not acceptable for any potential customers, old or new, even some of us would be okay with that.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    Sold at a markup doesn't mean that it has to come with new video while everything else graphics-wise remains the same. That doesn't even make sense, really. Nobody is buying the EEs for an improved video experience.

If a company knows that their shoestring budget doesn't even allow them to do proper video but just somewhat moving slides that don't even pass for actual video, then they should have the common sense to leave the original video, rather than replace it with sub-par "video".

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Except other things haven't remained the same. Everything else was adapted for higher resolutions where necessary rather than just stretched out. The graphical assets only stayed the same if they could be acceptably presented on a large screen without loss of quality or information. Video is simply not one of those things. Play the original BG1 in full screen and tell me EE isn't an improvement visually. Yeah, you can mod it for a similar effect, but mods are irrelevant within the context of marketing a remastered game. If everyone was satisfied with the modded originals, the EEs wouldn't be selling.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Graphics-wise, the GUI was adapted, sure, but what else of relevance?

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You say "GUI", like it's not something you look at 100% of the time as you play the game. It's composed of a massive amount of graphical assets and code. :shake: They also extended the in-game graphics formats and brushed up the assets to allow for a full range of colors, better animations, proper transparency, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't have the original source files, so most of the base textures are the same as they were, but those didn't really need to be changed much for a larger resolution anyway since they don't get stretched unless you zoom.

Poor content design choices aside, Overhaul Games did a fairly good job at updating the engine and the relevant assets for modern machines. Keeping the old videos was simply not an option, from any perspective. They needed to use a new video format (WebM, VP8+Vorbis audio) and it needed to be appropriately sized for newer devices like the rest of the assets. Of course, we all wish they'd done a better job at remaking those, but that's a different issue altogether.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Heh, no, I realize well enough how important the GUI is. My point was, from a regular player's POV, everything else about the graphics has remained the same as in the original game or changed so little that it's negligible. And that's fine, because it still works well enough. As far as I'm concerned, the same goes for the video.

Using a new video format doesn't preclude them converting the original video to that. And yea, obviously we'll never agree on whether they should have left the original video. :shake:

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Re-encoding the video would have only further degraded the quality. Without the source material, that's just not a viable trade-off.

19. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If I'd bought the EEs, it would not be for the videos, and I don't consider the new videos a selling point. Possibly the reverse, but either way it's not a big deal. Better to spend that time and effort elsewhere.

Though I don't think that style of animation that they used in BG EE fits with PS:T ver well.

20. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Of course, you wouldn't, they're horrible. :lol:

I'm a little surprised no modder has tried their hand at their own version of the videos. It shouldn't take that much effort (relatively speaking).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.