1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problems with "Icewind Dale Voice Pack Converter by Greystar "

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by MrMermaid, Jul 7, 2012.

1. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Anybody tried to use this? (It's the second-to-last link here http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_soundsets2.php) Apparently it converts soundsets from IWD1&2 into the BG2 format.

I downloaded and unzipped it to find that it contains two batch files for IWD1&2, and a readme that says to "just double click on the program and it will do everything for you." Following these simple instructions has no avail, as double-clicking on either .bat opens a command prompt that begins an infinite cycle of:
    "Access is denied
    0 file(s) copied."

I have BG2 and IWD1&2 installed, as per requirement, so why is not working?? I've also tried copying the batch files into the corresponding IWD1 or 2 folders, the soundset subfolders and the BG2/soundset folders as well before running them - nothing (that I've tried) works! :( Any ideas from anybody?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I imagine it's a permission problem under the newer version of Windows you are using.

The batch files appear to simply copy sound files from the IWD1/IWD2 sound directories to the BG2 sound directory while also changing the names to the appropriate BG2 ones. It finds the install directories for the games by querying the registry.

You could try running the batch files as administrator to see if that helps, but I'm not an expert on the permission issues with the Infinity Engine games and newer versions of Windows.

3. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Thanks BT, that almost worked perfectly. It was still having trouble finding the correct paths so I renamed the paths in each .bat directly to where I know the sound files are, worked a treat! Thanks again! :)

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Glad you got it worked out :)

5. kabaliero Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Could you please specify the script details for the path changing, for those who can't do .bat files? :)

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can open batch files with a text editor like Notepad and change the paths. But honestly, at this point, it's probably been done a million times already. Just find a download of the ready-made sound sets instead of messing around with tools.

Here's one such example: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1106-awesome-soundsets-vol-2/

7. kabaliero Gems: 1/31

Yes, i opened them, but there are those specific registry-sensitive script lines that i don't want to mess up like i did in my last 10 tries :)
    Also, strangely enough, IWD1\2 soundsets for BG2 are not set up for download anywhere around the Net, even by now! :D

UPD: You know what, nevermind! Registry lines have nothing to do with it.
    The only lines that matter are:
    cd %IWDPATH%\Sounds
    move *.wav "%BG2Path%\sounds"

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The mod I posted works for BG2 too, although it might be EE-specific.

If you're hung up on the classics and want to use the converter, delete the two lines that read from the registry and copy paste in your actual paths, like so:

Code:
    SET IWDPath="D:\Games\Icewind Dale"
    SET BG2Path="D:\Games\Baldur's Gate 2"
    The paths are an example. I have no idea where your games are installed, but I do hope you didn't put them in your Program Files, because if that's the case, the first thing you should do is uninstall them and re-install them somewhere else.

9. kabaliero Gems: 1/31

Yes, thanks for your answers.
    There are also some issues with the IWD converter soundset files' Paths!

The author just copy\pasted the default IWD1 sound paths right into the IWD2 converter .bat

So you gonna have to Edit that .bat a bit for the pathnames to fit properly!

Example: In IWD2 "Female_Figher_3" folder, file names start with "HFF" and not with "HeFF" like it says in the default IWD2 converter .bat file!
    And "Female_Fighter_5" folder simply doesn't exist in IWD2 while .bat contains strings with it!

Good luck sorting that out, guys!

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well, seeing as this is a 5 years old thread about a legacy tool, I doubt anyone besides you still cares. ;)

11. kabaliero Gems: 1/31

Well, you never know when the nostalgia hits you! ;)
    Hopefully somebody finds it useful.
    Cheers!

12. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a bit rusty on advanced batch file creation, but shouldn't you be advocating the use of SETLOCAL instead of SET since this variable is only for the duration of the script?
    Otherwise it's setting a global variable in the command prompt until the next reboot that wastes memory.
    Granted, this is not as serious an issue under Windows 95 or later as it would be under MS-DOS when the 640K limit in real mode, but there is no reasons to spread bad habits.

Generally if the variable only needs to be accessed by the current batch file, use SETLOCAL. If you intend to call other scripts/programs that will need to access that variable, then and only then do you use SET.

Sorry if I'm being anal retentive about proper batch file coding, but this was a serious issue with memory in the MS-DOS era, and it is still technically there, just not as obvious since we measure memory in gigabytes instead of kilobytes.

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    If I should be advocating anything, it's the use of alternatives to batch scripts. :p

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    What's wrong with batch files? I've been making them off and on for 25 years.

15. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Like most parts of Windows, they're a horrible abomination. They're also not only Windows-specific, but often only work on a specific version of Windows, like the ones above, due to architectural differences. We're about 20 years beyond having to write batch scripts to do anything.

16. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I still pretty much use only the stuff found in MS-DOS 3.30 and I haven't had such issues. I honestly don't recall any batch-file commands/programming structures that are available that were NOT in MS-DOS 3.30. I should look it up, there might be useful additions in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 that were not in MS-DOS 3.30. I just don't recall any improvements when reading about the changes in MS-DOS 4, 5, or 6, and I honestly haven't read much about making .BAT files in Windows at all. The few times they addressed them in college it was even more simplistic than what I do, just making a text file with a bunch of hard-coded commands, no parameters, no loops or decisions.

Then again, I'm usually doing fairly simple stuff with batch files to automate routine tasks where I have to execute the same bunch of command in a specific order every day/week/month, sometimes using parameters if the file or path changes slightly, sometimes throwing a FOR loop or IF-THEN in there. Nothing too complicated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.