1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jotun - Review @ Bleeding Cool

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Jul 16, 2017.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Bleeding Cool has reviewed the action adventure Jotun:

Jotun Review: A Broody, Atmospheric Treasure Of A Game

With Thunder Lotus Games' Jotun being free to own this weekend, we decided to go ahead and give it a review, even though it's been out since September of 2015. The free part makes it kind of newsworthy, right? OK, fine, so we're just trying to clear a backlog of games and this weekend was as good a time as any.

Right off the bat, Jotun strikes you as an incredibly gorgeous game. The levels are all hand-drawn, and include an absurd amount of gorgeous detail in the background designs. The animations are deceptively simple-looking, but work in a smooth sort of coordination. Sure, things are a little less crisp now, but this is a game from 2015, so that's pretty understandable.

[...]

Overall, I found Jotun to be an absolute pleasure. While some will find the game's lack of dialogue, cutscenes, and hand-holding to be boring and directionless, I really appreciate that Thunder Lotus Games have given us Jotun as is. We can go in and get what we personally want out of the game. If that's atmosphere and art, story and theme, or just general boss killing, Jotun has a lot to offer - as long as you're willing to give it the time. Jotun is a broody, atmospheric treasure of a game. I didn't want to turn away from the screen, and I'm glad I didn't.

Score: 8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Jotun can actually be had for free today from GOG, so go grab it!

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh man, pretty nice - i remember seeing the gameplay for this game on the Geek n Sundry Twitch channel, and it looked pretty awesome, though i missed out on the giveaway back then, and had quite a backlog of games to go through at any rate.

I'm just finishing off AC : Syndicate though, so this seems like a nice game to tide me over for the next AAA game :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.