1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ads - About & Problem Reports

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, May 14, 2008.

1. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Scumbag "ads" like that are the primary reason people use ad blockers. :nolike:

2. Wayward Son Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah. Pretty much. Idgaf about banner ads but ones that either A) Take up the full screen (a real problem when browsing Codex or SP on phone) or B ) Redirect you to some bull crap offer are awful

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Snook, it should happen on any device with iOS so it shouldn't matter which you use. Honestly from your description I don't know what to think any more as it seems that this isn't coming from where I expected it to. I'm going to start eliminating some ads to see whether that helps.

That's exactly what I told the guy reporting this. Pisses me off because the lowlifes who slipped this ad in are the only ones making money from it up to the point where users install an ad blocker to get around it. The biggest problem is that they're all targeted by device and/or geographic location, which makes it a major PITA to track down for me as I can't reproduce them myself. :/

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Sorry for the confusion. The reason why I kept testing on two devices as it was only happening once or twice before I think I cookie was stopping the redirect. That is why I would try with an iPhone and an iPad.

OK, here is what happened today. When I used the adtest site around 3:30EST and I clicked on the news feed the boards loaded and then I was redirected away.

At 5PM EST I went to the main site, let it sit for a minute and everything was fine. Once I clicked on the boards they loaded as well as the pop to register and a pop up ad and then I was redirected

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Np, I've taken one of the ads spots out. You can ignore the ad_test page, just check the regular site pages as usual if the redirect still happens to you, then I'm going to be taking them out one by one until we go through all of them.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Got it 10:12pm EST. Still redirecting once I get to the boards.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh yeah, should probably have asked you to clear your browser cache for this. Please do that and try again.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I cleared the cache (took me a minute to figure out how) and no redirect. :)

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Good to hear, please test it again over the next couple of days so that we can be sure.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Bad news, it just happened again. I cleared my cache, went to sp, clicked on board link, made it to the boards, and then was redirected to the same place as before.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    Good grief, I thought we finally got it... well, only got two ad providers left to check at this point. I'll post again after I take one out.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    I've taken out another ad provider, please clear your cache and let me know...

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just tested and no redirects. I'll keep testing over the next couple of days.

Taluntain likes this.
  14. Taluntain

Media:
  15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just tested and no problem.

Taluntain likes this.
  16. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    You know, I whitelisted that stuff in my ad-blocker, because I figured "ah, what the Hell", but when the ads get so big that they're literally covering the menues (forum etc.) I start to reconsider.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Can you make a screenshot of what you're reporting? Obviously the ads shouldn't be blocking anything... if they are, it's unintentional and something I would want to fix ASAP. FYI, I haven't made any changes regarding the ads in years.

Fake edit: ah, I can see the problem myself, it's simply due to the oversized images in the Iratus news piece breaking the site layout. It's fixed now, sorry about that!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.