1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on the way...

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition' started by Taluntain, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As with the other older (A)D&D titles, Beamdog is working on an updated version of the original NWN as well. See our news post on the subject and feel free to discuss it here.

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

They hint at new content such as premium modules in the future, so if they pursue that route they will quickly have my money. As it stands, NWN "Enhanced" with no graphical improvements or new content is not enhanced at all. I'm holding out as of now.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Graphically, the only "worthwhile" change appears to be the addition of various filters, but that's going for fruit hanging so low that it doesn't really count. Of course, a properly done EE with all new models and textures would go way beyond Beamdog's budget, I'm sure. So it looks like we'll be getting a NWN: Slightly Enhanced Edition. :shake:

Verdadero_Foe likes this.
  4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The large amount of hours I poored into that game. Played shadows of U several times.

5. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

I am pleasantly surprised to see the Vault still going strong with new content after all these years. Thought i'd check it out with the new EE stuff on the way. Some of the new tilesets especially look very nice. The graphic updates to NWN have already been accomplished by modders.

Now when they put out new premium modules or expansions, they will have my money. They could monetize the modules they make in the toolset over and over and I would have virtually no problem with it.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    They won't produce any new modules or expansions, at least there's been no talk of that whatsoever.

7. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

There was talk of it in there first livestreams a bit but they've said it again in a recent interview that makes it seem like new expansions are very likely.

"Trent - We find the concept of premium modules to be a very exciting one, it allows us to build content with a limited scope and we can sell it at a great price point. We can bring the assets at our disposal, such as voice acting, custom music and even potentially add new game features in small ongoing releases."

I'm pretty hyped.
    https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/1...n-Interview-with-Beamdog-CEO-Trent-Oster.html

Taluntain likes this.
  8. Taluntain

Media:
    Interesting, since the premium modules concept barely lifted off when NWN will still relevant. My guess would be that the graphics would be too off-putting for most new buyers today but we'll see.

9. damedog Gems: 15/31

Resourceful Veteran

I imagine the premium module revenue stream wasn't really enticing for a major company like Bioware but for a much smaller one like Beamdog with a limited budget producing game content mostly through the toolset saving vast amounts of time and money is a lot more of a potential business model.

I am of the somewhat unpopular opinion that Beamdog produces entertaining new content so once this stuff starts getting released i'll probably end up buying the EE's and modules.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    If they end up releasing more than one or two new premium modules, then their gamble will obviously have paid off. To me it would just seem too bizarre to see any kind of real return to a 3D game whose graphics were already outdated when it was released; without doing a complete makeover graphics-wise, that is. There are just too many excellent 3D RPGs which look amazing available now that it has to compete with. But then again, perhaps NWN has a shadow legion of hard-core fans that'll buy it again just because Beamdog touched it. I'm definitely curious how this is going to unfold.

The IE games are a different story because while their graphics are outdated as well, they have a timeless charm largely helped by the beautiful background bitmaps. NWN has no such benefit in the graphics department, unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    To me NWN had that bit of magic despite it faults.

12. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

To me NWN was a soulless, boring game with zero charm.

13. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    NWN had a charm, but it was by and large in the gameplay, and in the variety of character builds you could try. It sounds like a pretty minimal update, and if it's just the premium modules, then they have pretty stiff competition of the large amount of mods that exist for NWN already.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    NWN didn't get good until HotU, so if you haven't played that, the OC definitely fits your description. SoU was marginally better but HotU was really quite good.

15. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Tal is right. HotU is one game I played to death. I would consider an enhanced version of NWN if it was improved. I have constantly wished it had more things to do as well as more character control. More races would be nice too. Half Drow anyone?

16. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I also found Shadows of Undrentide incredibly boring, only got maybe halfway trough. I managed to finish the OC on my second attempt... with great effort and no satisfaction. I guess maybe, I could try HotU. You get 2 henchmen right? That already sounds less boring.

17. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    NWN2 has that extra detail in character creation, more races, more classes. Worse control in the game, though. In my opinion, anyway.

HotU is also the one I played the most, together with several mods. The OC I played twice, the second time only because the Druid/Shifter was so much fun to play. SoU I only played through once.
    You get two henchmen in HotU, yes, and they're pretty well characterised as well. Some of them have pretty great interaction as well, especially in the last part of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.