1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2017/2018 Boston Celtics

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by The Great Snook, Oct 25, 2017.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I must admit I am liking this team. With the injury to Gordon Hayward they are not a championship team, but I am really enjoying the combination of All-Star veterans and youth with amazing athletic abilities and potential.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Doesn't take much to be a contender in the East, but that Hayward injury was gruesome. I went to the opening game of the Lakers season and the team is probably a year or two away from contending for a playoff spot. There's some talent there, but not a lot of cohesion.

Given that I saw Lonzo Ball play multiple times at UCLA games, I have an idea of his strengths and weaknesses and what he can bring, and I think he will be a fine pro after some seasoning. I'd like to see him as this generation's Jason Kidd, but we'll see. His father is a huge distraction and is not doing him or anyone else (except for Lavar Ball) any favors.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Being a Sixers fan, miserable as that may be over the last decade, we finally got something to get excited about this year with Simmons in the lineup and the addition of Fultz. But now Fultz is getting shoulder injections.... has me a bit worried....

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Trust the Process . . .

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I normally don't focus on Basketball until after the Superbowl, but damn do I like watching this team. :)

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Now with Kyrie Irving out is just amazing that this team is still alive. Up 2-0 on Milwaukee, but I'm still not sure they can make it to round two.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep. Colts are just plain team ball and with confidence. The NBA is changing man, the scepter is being passed. My Sixers are back baby!

8. dmc

Media:
    It's interesting, but this might actually be the year that Toronto gets out of the East. Not sure how well they would play either Houston or Golden State, but their path looks a little better (I'm not sold on the Sixers this year, but next year, watch out!)

Boston's too hurt to reliably win three best of seven series, even with as good a coach as Stevens is and how well their players are doing as a group. Sometimes they are really fun to watch though.

I'm looking forward to a Golden State/New Orleans series - that could be really fun.

Not looking forward to a Houston/whoever wins the Utah-OKC crap fest though - that one is going to be tough basketball to watch. I still mostly find Houston unwatchable, even in person. I was at the Lakers last home game against Houston and was about 10 feet off the floor near the Houston bench. I will concede to whomever is asking how effective James Harden is - I just can't bring myself to enjoy watching his game.

Also, Chris Paul did not smile once that I could see - that is a man who just does not appear to be enjoying what he is doing - at least Harden seems to have a good time.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a game last night. So much for Philly sweeping Boston. I'm still not convinced that we have the firepower to win the series, but damn does this team have heart.

10. dmc

Media:
    Rinse, repeat . . .

11. dmc

Media:
    So, to return to this: How does Brad Stevens get zero votes from his peers for coach of the year? How is that possibly a thing?

I was extremely disappointed by Toronto's play, but was also quite impressed by Cleveland's switch-flipping - they look much more like the team that made three straight NBA finals than the desultory bunch that sleep-walked through the regular season.

I am anticipating both conference finals and hope the payoff will be worth the build-up. I would normally say that the Cavs should be prohibitive favorites against the Celtics (and I do think they will win to make a fourth straight NBA finals), but I love Boston's defensive schemes and think Boston has the personnel to manage the Love/Korver nonsense that Zack Lowe was kvelling about here:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...r-kevin-love-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-playoffs

I think the Warriors should beat the Rockets, but part of that may be based on my bias against Harden and Chris Paul because I just don't like them. I am interested to see how they do against a talented defensive team like the warriors that has multiple defenders that can really switch and keep them honest. Should be interesting.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    On reddit the celtics board went crazy over Stevens not getting a single vote from a peer. Some moron actually voted for Doc Rivers. It makes me think, if they can't recognize that he may be the best coach in the league that may be a good thing for the Celtics.

That beatdown the Celtics put on Cleveland in game one was eyeopening. Tonight is game two. I'm hoping for a repeat. However, if the Celts do manage to win tonight I guarantee the refs for game 3 will be the ones from game 4 in Philadelphia.

13. dmc

Media:
    So, rather than starting a new thread for the finals, I figured I'd post here.

Anyone expect LeBron to shoot LESS than 15 free throws in game 3?

14. dmc

Media:
    Well, I certainly got that wrong. Cleveland actually looked really good. Unfortunately for them, KD looked like he was from another planet.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Late to the party, but I was also shocked that the "fix" wasn't in to make sure that Cleveland won game 3. Talk about a game that broke a teams spirit. The sweep was guaranteed after that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.