1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Piercing/Slashing or Slashing/Piercing?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by Sorvo, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dual wielding? Which would you take as the main blade? And for all the bludgeoners out there, that isn't an option yet :beer:

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends. The strongest swords are still Twinkle and Defender (Drizzt's swords) and you need to be good-aligned to use these. But since the only way to obtain them is to murder Drizzt...

Otherwise, your options include the Dagger of Venom (bonkers against casters, downside is that it's a dagger) and Varscona, which you get early. Not really a lot of variety here tbh.
    So piercing/slashing, for me.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Celestial Fury is a good early weapon even if it is only +2. Later it makes a good off-hand weapon if you are a warrior and don't need the extra attack of Belm or Scarlet Ninja-to like a bard or thief does (including subtypes like blades and swashbucklers respectively).
    Even later on, a blade or thief wielding both Celestial Fury and Belm can be a force to be reckoned with due to the paralysis effect.

4. Gallowglass Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

@SlickRCBD - this is the BG1ee forum, you're talking about BG2 weapons.

@Sorvo - generally I'll equip slashing in the main hand, and quite likely in the off hand as well ... unless I've got the Dagger of Venom, which is very powerful. More enemies have piercing resistance than slashing resistance, so slashing tends to be more valuable most of the time, and furthermore slashing weapons often have a higher on-hit damage. But that's a more prominent difference in BG2 - for BG1, it usually doesn't matter so much because not many opponents have resistances ... except skeletons, and for those you want neither slashing nor piercing (they have resistance to both) but rather crushing. Very few enemies have crushing resistance, it's the rarest type, so (especially in BG2) it's always useful to have a blunt proficiency of some sort.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny, I found that it's IWD2, not BG2 where I need to make sure everyone carries blunts.
    Although that one golem in Irenicus' Dungeon can only be hurt by a blunt weapon or a magic weapon.
    There aren't as many enemies that need blunts in BG2. It is useful, especially against a few types of golems, but not as necessary.
    Having blunts in BG1 is pretty necessary however for fighting skeletons.

In BG1 original there weren't that many powerful magic items, and I haven't really played EE yet so I don't know how they've changed it to include Katanas.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.