1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

3.5 holy symbols / arcane focii

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by LKD, Apr 24, 2013.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I just had a weird thought -- in order to cast a spell that requires a small focus (like the small model of a target for "True Strike" or a holy symbol pretty well any cleric spell) must that focus be in hand? I read an article on WOTC by Skip Williams that insinuated such, but it was not clearly delineated, IMHO.

If so, a cleric with a heavy shield on his arm could not wield a melee weapon if he wanted to cast spells or turn undead. He might with a small shield, and definitely could with a buckler.

Is there an item that lets you attach your holy symbol to your shield or weapon? I know there is a cleric package (ancestral speaker) that lets you be your own holy symbol, but at the cost of turning undead.

On a similar note, Somatic Casting (Complete Mage) lets you hold a weapon and use it to trace somatic components, which would be good for a cleric, but it still doesn't solve the focus issue.

I thought I read somewhere (don't remember where) that focii do NOT need to be in hand, just on the person of the caster.

Thoughts, recriminations, ideas?

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't see why a cleric couldn't grasp his holy symbol in a hand that already is grasping a shield or weapon. Do the rules state how tight he must hold it? How strong a grip he has to have on it? No. Try it. It is hard to hold two objects at once. Unless of course you have very small, girly hands.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Here's what Skp says in Rules of the game: Reading spell descriptions:

He says this about turning undead in All About Clerics III:

So as I said, with a buckler, great, but with a small shield, arguable. You must grip a large shield or tower shield, so those are right out.

I'd want to have the holy symbol around my neck on a chain or cord (thong, as it has been called in the past before people perverted the term) so I could present it and then drop it and draw my weapon, but regardless, it would kinda fug things up a bit for going from combat to spellcasting or vice versa.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

With the possible exception of Tower shields, the shield is strapped to the forearm. BUT, you should NOT recieve a shield bonus when using the holy symbol in the hand the shield is in. This gets into the realm of re-equipping. The system is incomplete at best. Sp, common sense should rule the day in the absence of a crystal-clear ruling. Obviously, if you are wielding a Pike or Great Axe, it would be hard to grasp a holy symbol at the same time and use it effectively. If you are holding a large shield and dagger, different story IMO. Ultimately, it should be up to the DM IMO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.