1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Good Story

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Sarevokā€¢, Aug 25, 2004.

1. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Forget that - imagine how difficult siring Abazigal could be! Somehow I don't think the Slayer has candles and mood music in mind.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Abazigal was the dragon, correct? I think it would be easier to do that as Dragons can assume human form (and probably be hotties ;) ) while fire giants and the like cannot :p

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

But that would only be towards the end of the game. Remember the little band of Bhaalspawn outside the fire giant cave? My guess is you start at level one wooing the chinchilla, and then move on to the goblin once you've gained more experience (and perhaps some +1 massage oil...)

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

/me derails own train of thought

5. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Okay, it's official. This must be made into a mod! :D Someone go to PPG, or G3 and get them working on this right now!

6. Thehobbit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] What if the game is about a war between various gods? (the character from BG2 included)

Basically, if you wanted, you could import a major villain then :o

quote: Playing as Bhaal!? And what would your objective be, to mate with as many different humanoid species as possible? (ahhh, time for the fire giant quest...)

it could be a spinoff of Leisure Suit Larry :D

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] How about a very non-linear story involving, say: "Gorion's father" perhaps...He could be the typical all-powerful evil sorcerer, battling Elminster. You could fight in league with Elminster against Gorion's sinister father... I dunno, thats just the first thing that came to mind! And then maybe, to turn the tables against you; perhaps towards the end of the game(chapter 7 or 8...or whateer...)you could meet up with old Demogorgan in his rampaging times before helm was "forced to deal with him". Just think of it: an ultra-battle pitting you and elminster against the unstopable fiend(A Demorgorgan even tougher than the imprisoned version which you fight in Throne of Bhaal!) Now wouldn't that be sumthin just dandy dang badass :cool: !

[ October 09, 2004, 22:29: Message edited by: Kovalis Darkfire ]

8. the insane whupper Gems: 1/31

@Enagonios

actually Bhaal, Myrkul, and Bane were humans who killed one god and absorbed its powers and then went on to hunt down Jergal the former god of murder etc. hence the suggestion of expansion pack 'Throne of Jergal' this story is explained in greater detail in a book found in the south part of beregost, near feldpost's, where you get some mage some other book about 'faithful coin *blah* *blah*' in BG1

9. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Yup, I agree. The Infinity Engine worked fine so far...

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think the best idea is a prequel, but I think it should go back further than just to the early Bhaalspawn. I think you should play characters durring the Time of Troubles, meet and possibly get CHARNAME's mother, try to save her and fail (you'd have to fail), maybe journey with a young Gorion and/or Elminster. I don't know what the main plot should be, but it should deffinately be a lvl 1-20 game. Maybe you could even be the group that kills Bhaal, I don't know if that has already ben described in Baldur's Gate or anything.

OK, I've got it. You start out in a school, maybe dependant on pc class, maybe not, but you're just a regular student in the Times of Trouble. Bhaal, or more likely his hencmen, attacks the school (maybe you went to school with CHARNAME's mother!) and the masters defend. Seing the inevitability of defeat, however, they evacuate the students. You, and many other refugees from similar attacks, end up in a nearby town. This provides a horde of quests from find a seperated loved one (or 'discover' his/her body) to retrieve a powerful artifact from the hands of Bhaal's minions (or some other deity in the viscinity, maybe a good one). Eventually, however, (maybe lvl 5 of 20) this town is also attacked and you have to move on. The final goal of the game depends on your choices throughout. Are you driven by vengance (kill Bhaal), justice (stop Bhaal and other evil deities in the area), peace (get all the deities out of the Prime plane by whatever means), or something else (be creative). Whatever you choose, you must find powerful friends and allies, recover/forge powerful arms, armor, spells, etc., raise and army, and build a stronghold against your enemies. Later quests may include putting down revolts, raising support, aiding allies, or raiding enemies. Will you ally yourself with other deities or do you seek to kill them all? Also, the stronghold should start out the same (at least for each class), but quickly be custamizable by the player through a series of choices based on the pc's class(es). In the end, however, the evil necromancer's tower should look and act nothing like the high mage's shining citadel, nor should the armies.

Comments are welcome, and if any of you are secretly scouting for the developing company to get ideas of what players want, HIRE ME!!! I have all the experience in fantasy reams of every kind you could ever want, an imagination to match, and enough math, science, and logic skills to make my own P&P system, which I'm actually doing(albeit slowly).

[ July 26, 2005, 01:57: Message edited by: CLSVABCH ]

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

New idea:

You play as a another Bhaalspawn (default: Sarevok), building your empire to the point where you can become the next Lord of Murder (or whatever other kind of god you wish). It wouldn't have to be a strategy game (as the word empire seems to suggest) because you could do things like the stronghold quests in BG2. You could travel the Sword Coast, recruiting allies and destroying your enemies. The game could even end with an appearance by one of the Five, who has come to kill you and take over your empire. The game fades out as your character and your enemy charge at each other, and who is the victor is not known. (Maybe you replace them as one of the Five!)

It would have three seperate paths through the game, with different goals for each. You could build a generous empire of protectors (or whatever), or a neutral empire of merchants (or whatever), or an evil empire of killers (or whatever). Just about the only complaint I have about the BG series so far is the lack of alternative paths for you to take.

And who says it has to have anything to do with CHARNAME? His story is pretty much wrapped up; I say we let him rest. The Final Fantasy series has survived so long because they didn't try to keep leeching off of the last game. They make a NEW story each time, so every game is judged on its own virtues, and thus has to have them to survive. Sure it should have something to do with the Bhaalspawn saga, but it doesn't need to cling to CHARNAME to be good, or even to be part of the BG series.

12. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Hmm...I've always assumed BG3 would about you playing as an adventurer beside Gorion when he was still weak, pitiful and level one. You journey through the game seeing stuff like a young boy with a hamster get hit on the head with a rock and so on. Maybe encounter some of the NPCs in BG1 or 2 and have them join (20 year old Keldorn!). The story would end with you busting the Bhaal thing, rescuing Charname, and settling him in Candlekeep.

Or something.

13. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Thats how I would like to see it go, but then, when has anything you wanted in a game come true...?

14. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Personally, I'd agree that trying to stick too much to the already-done Bhaalspawn storyline is generally a bad idea. Touch on it, have it even influence BG3's story, but don't tie them too closely or blatantly.

I'd love to see a quick cameo from, say, a single-minded Mercykiller on the trial of a fugitive of *justice*. Would be much cooler than some crappy Minsc-relative.

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How about this for a story...

1) You are the child of the Charname from BG1 & 2 and this is your life.

2) You are one of the many children that were encounter during BG1 or BG2.

Either one of these could definitely be used to make BG3.

16. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Righty-o then! I'm a new... person, so let's just get that out of the way. I would also like to point out that aside from one (!) post, no-one has acknowledged that maybe, some did not want to be gods. I stand among them. Also, earlier on, someone mentioned Cernd's child. That is impossible. Cernd's only child was a son, and they killed each other in magic combat.
    Anyway, not meaning to be a wet blanket, but, yeah.

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Don't worry, I also don't want to play a god, or an ex-god, or the child of a god, although that servant of a god idea is a possibility. I still think it would be fun to play durring the Times of Trouble, am I alone?

18. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

No, no. What I meant is if someone picked the non-god ending, then that person would continue to BG3 and say WTF?

19. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Aydin:
    You mean like if in BGI someone killed all the NPCs except for the five evil ones in their party, then continued to BGII and had to start with Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc? :lol: As if Bioware gives a flying f***. :rolleyes:

That's why I say it has to be a different story. Unrelated is the way to go. The series is called Baldur's Gate, not Bhaalspawn. Same general area, different times, and different characters dammit!!! :mad:

20. WildRaven Gems: 1/31

Yet another newbie on the scene. The series follows the story of a specific character on Faerunand his/her companions, if you changed the characters then effectively the Baldurs Gate series has stopped, its not Baldurs Gate anymore.
    Has anyone thought of the possibility of a sort of Time of Troubles rip off? What about the concept of Cyric going mad as a result of being the god of destruction, death and all that and some how being responsible in some way, shape or form for the Gods decending to Faerun again so he can take full control.
    Assuming the protagonist in BG1/2 became a god at the end of Throne of Bhaal he would also be thrown back into the world where he would meet around 1 or 2 of the old party members (other old faces could re-appear but they cant join your party). This would allow the space for new NPC's to join you whilst keeping a solid link to the previous Baldurs Gate games.
    The protagonist would then have to go travelling accross Faerun retrieving the portfolios of the remaining gods in order to become powerful enough to destroy Cyric. This is just a general idea and i'm sure Bioware could twist it and make a great story out of it if it was used. Obviously this is would only truly apply if your character was evil.
    I'm not sure how a good character would fit into the Cyric driving the gods to Faerun backdrop and still follow that story as you wouldn't have become a god in Throne of Bhaal if your protagonist was a good guy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.