1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A Little Foppish Idiot?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The difference being that you get the opportunity to terminate. But that is all getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves.

Let's just see what happens from here and we can provide more insightful and well meaning advice as your journey goes on.

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Aldeth, you have thought this through very carefully. Best wishes for a good tes result!

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, the test gets re-performed today. For some reason though, even though this is all done through measurements, we won't get the official results until Monday. It is strange that it works this way, considering that from what they say it's all ratios, so any technician should be able to interpret the results without any problem.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, we got the results, and they were very good. Initially, based on my wife's age of 31, there was a 1 in 150 chance of her having a child with some form of trisomy. After having the test, the odds improved a great deal. For Down's Syndrome, the odds listed are 1 in 9999. The doctor said that is the highest value the instrument will display. They have never had a false negative with Down's Syndrome, but since no instrument is perfect, they list the odds as 1 in 9999. With Trisomy 13 and 18, the odds are now 1 in 3500. That is also the highest score one can obtain for those conditions, and that's because of the instument used to conduct the test. The odds of a false negative are 1 in 3500 for Trisomy 13 and 18 - which is why it's not possible to score higher than that. As such, we have no plans of getting an amniocentesis to confirm the results. If the odds were still 1 in 150, I likely would have, as those are higher than the odds of having the miscarriage following the amniocentesis (1 in 200). But seeing as how the possibility of any of the trisomy conditions occuring are much longer than 1 in 200, I view the amniocentesis as being the bigger risk now.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Very happy to hear your news.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good stuff, Aldeth. What's next then?

I guess the 20 week scan is the next milestone. It's amazing what you can see at that scan.

Then it's all the practical stuff like working out all the gear you need to beg, borrow or steal for your house to get ready for the kid, plus all the plans for how, where, when of the delivery itself.

Keep us posted.

7. revmaf

Excellent good news, Aldeth! Now it's back to the normal wondering, hoping, and dreaming about this new one. You're in our thoughts all the way!

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    It's always good to know that all is well. We opted for amnio the first time around, but the test results during my second pregnancy didn't warrant the invasive procedure.

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    OooOoo! This is just so exciting!

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Lol, have you never known anyone to be expecting before Turso? Or are you trying to be sarcastic...?

Good to know things are progressing well Ald's. You're one of the soundest guys on here, seem well genuine to me. I hope everything turns out great pal, I mean that :thumb: . Continued good luck!

11. Harbourboy

I wonder how long this thread will get if we follow progress all the way through to Aldeth Junior's 21st birthday. This could be like some online version of The Truman Show where we all secretly follow every aspect of his or her life, right from the time of conception (or before - if Aldeth hadn't been so oddly private about that part of the process)

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yeah, my sister's expecting...that makes this all the more exciting! I get to be the crazy uncle!

'Trying to be sarcastic...' I get that a lot, since people don't believe that anyone of my age would be so childishly chipper about anything :shake:

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    No thread would be longer than 20 pages - but I imagine the "A Little Foppish Idiot #85" thread detailing Junior's progress through highschool. Or spinoffs like "A Little Foppish Idiot v. 3.1" detailing Aldeth's march towards grandfatherhood. ;)

Seriously @ Aldeth: Congrats on the good results! We expect more (happy!) news over the next 6-7 months at least.

14. revmaf

Any updates, Aldeth? I always hope no news is good news, of course.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Sorry - I just saw this post now - a week after the fact. Other than the ever-changing food cravings from the Mrs. there isn't anything new to report.

16. revmaf

Ah, yes, food cravings - but that's good news, that there's no news! Still sending good thoughts your way.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It's a boy! :banana: :banana:

Well, at least they *think* it's a boy. We went for the 2nd trimester ultrasound this weekend, and at 19 weeks, that is just about the time when you can start determining the sex. So the technician told us that she wouldn't be able to tell with certainty what the sex was, and that we'd be able to get a much more definitive answer when they do the next ultrasound, but she was pretty confident we have a baby boy. So I'm taking the attitude that we're about 90% certain it's a boy.

I am very happy - I was the proud father anyway, but this is even better. My wife definitely wants to have more than one child, and eventually I would like to have at least one girl and one boy. That having been said, I'm very pleased that the first one is most likely a boy.

18. revmaf

Congratulations, Aldeth! The little F.I. is starting to be recognizable, isn't he?

I'm glad for you both. Look forward to hearing the confirming news from the next ultrasound.

19. Harbourboy

Good stuff, Aldeth.

20. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.