1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A little stuck in the temple ruins...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by lilith21, Aug 3, 2016.

1. lilith21 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hi again. I have the versus books Shadows of Amn the perfect guide book and my character has two sun gems and 2 of the 3 pieces of that holy symbol you need. I cleared the top floor of the dungeon and now I can't get through the door to go to the 2nd floor of the ruined temple. (Where the Shade Lord and the Shadow Dragon reside). I looked in my book and I can't find anything on what to do and I'm stuck at the locked door. Do I have to cast knock or something? Spoil me please and Thanks for replies/reply in advance. And any tips on how to defeat the Shadow Dragon and what type of spells the Shade Lord use and any tactics I should use on him would be most helpful.

2. Vhailor

Vhailor Justice is not blind, for I am her eyes Veteran

Did you get the third piece of the holy symbol of Almutor? Its right across the name floor, the door to the right, a shade will be there and there is a symbol hidden in the corner in the room with the shade that tries to make some kind of deal.
    Lower resistance and breach for the stoneskin are good for dragons.

3. lilith21 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I found the 3rd piece and thanks a lot.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    As far as taking on the shadow dragon goes, it does depend on your party composition - i'd suggest having one or two characters tank, while the rest of the party pelts the dragon from range with bows or spells.
    Have your casters send in summons to rotate the tanking with your party members if you need to heal them up, and make sure to spread everyone out - clumping together is just asking to get wiped by a dragon';s breath attack.

He is the only dragon that is not immediately hostile, so it is possible to set a ton of traps at his feet so you take away a chunk of his health as combat begins, though this is quite cheesy.

5. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually the Red Dragon can be non hostile as well.

Set traps and have all your casters lower resistance on him, and use spell sequencers for magic missile and other such fun things.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Ah yeah, i remember now, you can pick the nonhostile approach through conversation as well so you get some preparation time for that encounter.
    If i recall correctly the black dragon also has an ability that causes level drain, so make sure your tank(s) are protected against that via negative plane protection or the amulet of power.

7. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Spread your people out. Especially your two tanks. Put one on each side. That way he can only attack/breath on 1 instead of both.

8. Sevanhya Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have never let the black dragon breath on me. But in AD&D the Shadow Dragon's breath weapon took multiple levels, not just one.

The Amulet will also help protect vs the breath weapon.

9. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, the exact effects are that he causes blindness and drains 4 levels on his first breath, which goes through magic resistance and no save.
    Every time you get hit with it after that will drain an additional 2 levels, save vs. Breath Weapon to resist the effect.
    The blindness lasts 6 seconds (1 round) and the level drains last 60 seconds (10 rounds / 1 turn).
    The wing buffet ability also goes through your spell resistance, and has no save to negate. If you have resistance to crushing damage, that will reduce the total damage you take from it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.