1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A new kind of PBP RPG

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Muumli, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Muumli Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey guys, I've been mulling over this idea, and I want to try running an adventure with my experimental mega-simplified rules system. The main idea is that mechanics come second to content, that the mechanics exist to roughly regiment the distribution of creative input. This is because, in my system, the GM tells everybody what's happening, to which the characters respond, and based on the depth and authenticity the players bring to the circumstances, I would reward them with periodic storytelling authority.

I'll post more about the scant mechanics, but take an example, where the players fight some goblins, and one player makes a really insightful comment about goblins' fear of fire. I would award that player authorship over the players' victory in the battle (i.e. describe how you kill these goblins), and similar ideas. The setting will be medieval mythic, but with limited explicit magic in terms of your character design. Out of hand, I'll say I'd like the characters to be human, with the possibility of secret half-blood lineage of orc or elf. I'm planning on making advancement very RP oriented, so if this sounds good to anyone, please let me know.

2. Planetouched Gems: 1/31

That sounds very insightfull let alone interesting! I'm assuming that you are going with a D&D setting? If so count me in :)

3. Muumli Gems: 1/31

The world in question

The world will be D&D thematic, no question, but I've been brainstorming about magic in conjunction with the content-emphasis of roleplay. The campaign would begin with a fair-to-small sized scope, concerning a good-sized forest area full of ruins, with entities from the world at large passing through. Just so everybody knows, so you aren't creating epic characters with fantastical backgrounds. I mean, get creative, but moreso get detailed about a few things, and expect to get fantastical. Im drawing from a lot of esoteric tradition stuff, ie Norse, Celtic, witch traditions, Eastern mythos, alchemy, etc.

4. Muumli Gems: 1/31

Chapter One: Baronships

Chapter One: Baronships

It's been four generations since the kingdom fell, since the barons rose against the weakened monarch, seizing control of the trade routes and eliminating the influence of the capital. Over four generations, some of those first mutineers were deposed themselves, others managed to set up tentative lines of power, handing control of key trade points down from father to son, mailed fist to mailed fist. Many have no hope beyond working the land to yield just enough to bear to burden of the tax collectors, the barons' leeches, and still feed their families. Others make a killing trading in the formerly black markets, where now all but the most blatant exchange of all manner of illicit goods can find a haven, at the right price.

In this time, the dark shadows have met a concomitant rise in hero stories, tales of brave and courageous men and women, "of the Old Kingdom," who stand against the nefarious tide of greed and corruption the hearts of men find so difficult to swim against.

You, brave traveler, find yourself passing through one of these baronships. Who are you? who were you before you caught the wanderlust? do you travel on foot? alone? have you contracted a caravan, as a guard, or a passenger?

The day began with a red light, crisp and clear, but as the road you travel winds toward a deep forest, stretching into the distance along the ridge that runs beside it, you feel the weather turning. Rain clouds approach.

[Hey guys, this is my introduction to the adventure. It's really more of a localized roleplay environment that you can really play around in. The whole idea is creative storytelling, very much from you as much as me. I've got some basic mechanics that I'll be posting shortly (tomorrow), but the idea is that I'll be advancing you based on quality additions to the story/environment. This doesn't mean you guys get to dramatically shift the action whenever you want, but I will be working intimately with the details in your posts. NOTE: The core of my idea is that when you 'win' over opponents in the mechanical sense, you get the right to RP more significant plot details, like the deaths of enemies, for example.

Like I said, I'll award experience for good RP, and I'll let someone know if I'd like them to pull back on their focus.

CHARACTERS: Ideally, pick humans, but if you hanker for something more, send me a PM and we can work out if you might be a half-breed, with orc or elf blood, for example. The idea is that this area is pretty human-centric, at least as far as you know. By all means, have a traditional class-type in mind, but describe your character in more tangible, traditional terms. I.E. a Ranger would be more like a woodsman. I'll be introducing an interesting development system, but more about that later. The number one is story development, and I've got some tasty bits in store.]

5. rangefinder Gems: 1/31

human farmboy just left home with a bag of dads savings a walking stick and a few travel neccesities

6. Seven Gems: 1/31

Name: Sash

Sash is a young man who was born and raised in a quaint farming village. For the majority of his life he was a cowboy. He was known as the finest horseman in his village. This skill proved a blessing when he saved a boy from being trampled by cattle.

Though possessing a strong love for his village, a fierce drive to adventure would eventually take Sash away. Now he travels on his horse (and dear friend) Echo, in search of a different life.

7. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Chikohomanee

Indigenious tibesman known for his short stature and silent feet. His father was a circus tumbler and Chikohomanee was his protege. When his father died, he left his village to simply see the world. He has no motive or task, he merely wanders the woods and has become quite wild. His tribal tattoos cover half his face and go down on his left shoulder and chest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.