1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A suggestion for PbP - Twilight of Old Magic

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Loreseeker, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Background information that will help.

Aidan's mother was burned in a wicker cage the night of his birth, or so the tribes think. In reality the Forest Lord, (a fairy king who is Aidan's father - Aidan doesn't know though), switched her with a transformed goat at the last moment. So Deirdre, Aidan's mom, lives full time in Fairyland and doesn't age. Most nights she sends someone to get Aidan to come and visit. Aidan thinks it just a dream world that he has created to deal with the miserable life he lived as a slave to a whole tribe. Sometimes he is normal sized, and sometimes small, depending on who he is talking or playing with.

As for the black clad men, maybe they took a shortcut through fairy and then out of it again, or maybe they are from a different realm. Any good ideas?

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Not sure about the black clad men - but if they passed through fairyland, then they did so carrying iron - which means that they must have encountered and most likely battled the Watchers (which might explain why Aidan and co. weren't stopped...)
    Thus I am more inclined to think that they hadn't passed through Fairyland at all - perhaps it is just the hound taking the shortcut that way? It being a ghost it has little to worry about?
    I'm in favour of the black man not being fae - but being from the ordinary world - open to all options, though.

Scot: Aidan's torque is iron, right? Something to consider, except if the established magicalness of it (since he has to obey what Carhatha say) somehow nullifies effects of it being iron in Fae-realm.
    Also, if you have a good idea of how Watchers look - put them in. :)

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Felin

Eyes: A faint goldish brown
    Hair: Dusty black
    Medium height

Felin remembers little about himself until about 9 years ago, when he awoke almost naked outside a dead forest. His name is simply something he decided to call himself while he awaited his memory to return...when it never did he simply kept it.

Felin is about 25 years old and wears leather armor, a fur cloak with a small outline of a cat's paw stitched into the back and carries a black sword of an unusual metal that certainly isn't steal, which he took from a bandit several years back. All his clothing is colored black to allow him to blend into the night, for reasons of protection more then any stealthy intentions.

Felin has an unusual affinity for cats. This is nothing supernatural or magical (or so he believes). What it simple means is that he likes cats and they like him, so much so that they tend to follow him around when enters a new city.

Felin has a large amount of knowledge of the Old Magic as he studied what he could about it in the attempt to bring back his memory. It came to nothing however and he highers his talent with the sword and knowledge of magick out to whomever will pay him.

Felin was traveling to the next town along the highway in search of work when he came upon the caravan roughly 30 minuets after then the beginning of the story. Arriving too late to witness any battle and knowing he was unlikely to be welcomed among the caravan so soon after a fight he made to circle around to the west and bypass the travelers when he felt a flicker of what was unmistakably Fey magic.

And thus a new character enters the story :)

4. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A hearty welcome to you, Felin/Magister. We are growing! Interesting character.

Let's get some type of idea what we would like to happen before we set off after the black clad men. Depending on what we want it will make things quite different.

Some options:

The black clad men just took a short cut through Fairyland and we quickly follow them out.

We get messed up in a cluster**** in Fairyland.

?

Any takers or other ideas?

5. Loreseeker

Media:
    Well, while we are in Fairyland we might as well do something there - no preferences, though. :p
    Leaving out quickly works just as well for me.
    In short, your pick, guys.

Welcome aboard, Magister! :)

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I say we don't say long in Fairy, otherwise the RPG will start to focus entirly on old magic...plus it will be easier to create a coherent story if we stay in the real world, as Fairy is notoriously hard to describe (not to mention unsafe ;)).

7. Loreseeker

Media:
    Simply FYI - Vila

I've left the Watcher patrol hidden - it can ignore the chars (:p) completely and we can head back to the real world whenever it suits you.

8. Scot

@ Mora, thanks for picking up Aidan's sword. I was hoping someone would, even though Aidan was not thinking about things he should have.

9. Loreseeker

Media:
    @Aidan: No problem. I would have picked up the rest of the weaponry as well, but she couldn't carry as much. :)

10. Scot

Here are some ideas I have:

The black clad men are an unknown tribe of men, not Slav, Norse, or Celt. Their magic is waning too, but a new shaman is trying to restore their power by raiding other tribes and stealing the souls/spirits of their victims, giving them to their god/demon.

Vidar's family's spirits could be caught in some sort of vessel or container, and will be sacrificed/enslaved to the black clad men new cult before too long.

The black clad men use shortcuts through fairyland to get to their victims quickly, as their mountain home is quite far away.

11. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

give's it a nice twist. i like it.

12. KazeKira Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Media:
    Here is the profile "Loreseeker" Has asked for.
    Name- Jyraika Zeiku

Age- 17

Gender- Male

Race- Dark Sorcerer

Occupation- Wandering hero

Place of Origin- Unknown

Appearance-
    [​IMG]

Personality- Usually alone, he keeps to himself a lot, keeping his emotions in check. He usually just defends himself when attacked, but will be the aggressor if you are the one causing havoc. Hardly trusting others, his guard is almost always up, distancing himself from everyone, that is unless he owes them a debt.

Abilities: He is one of the most skilled at may types of attack magick, barrier magick, and forbidden arts. He may not have speed, but his agility is higher than you might think. Able to summon any weapon, creature, or natural disaster (The last taking a while to use) he knows of when needed. Because of this, he should always be considered a threat if you have been marked by him, even when he looks harmless.

Bio- Unlike many from where he had originated, he is one who works within the shadows. Many thought that he would be their destruction. He always did the opposite. He is also known as the self opposing being, fighting for the true side whilst using the magick of the other. However, he has not a friend due to his personality.

13. Scot

KazeKira,

Welcome, you're just what we need. My character Aidan is currently in a fairy drug induced coma and enclosed in a sphere of moonlight, I forget the D&D name for the spell that basically closes you off from the world. I was waiting for one of the other characters to get me out of the sphere, but so far, nobody has figured out what to do.

Here's a situtation report:

We followed a spirit tracking dog through some multi dimensional tunnels, chasing the black clothed bad guys. A large cat type animal is close by and not happy with the intruders. That's the basics, but I'd advise you to give a close read to what has transpired so far, it's not long, just two pages.

14. KazeKira Gems: 1/31

Media:
    May I ask for a link to it? I often get lost within new sites.

15. Loreseeker

Media:
  16. Loreseeker

Media:
    Sorry about double posting.

Just a few clarifications :):

1. Mora was trying a simple protection spell on Aidan (something like say, Shield, or Armor of Faith, only in the manner of Invisibility/Etherealness) - and the idea was that the necklace prevented it from working right

2. Time thaws:
    -for Mora's tribe, Future is frozen, pictured as ice in which all events are captured - life is the fire that thaws time - by thawing, Now is born, and in present, the events are "liquid" their normal form. As they flow to the past, they evaporate and turn into mist - this mist is what the mind remembers.

3. A vague idea: Conversation is between a dried up river that was forced to flow underground - and a rusalka (slavic water spirit/demon thingie) from a lake that has swamped up and is basically dying - and all the rusalkas with it. This might make them open to negotiations of some kind with the party?Perhaps these changes in the waterways were caused by the tribe that the gang is after? Or perhaps something happened to the land there, which triggered the waterway problems, and the bizarre events with the soul sacrificing tribe - like a major landslide, for example. Or perhaps those are completely unrelated? Just a thought.

17. Scot

Hey folks, I'm going to my sister's wedding this weekend, and then we're off to France for three weeks to visit my wife's family, so I'll be out of contact. Feel free to post something for Aidan, just don't kill him off. If need be he can resuccumb to the poison sleep arrows and fall into a coma until I get back in late July.

18. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    KazeKira not to be picky but your character is maybe slightly too powerful. I've done it before and suffered for it but if your mage character has a spell for every occasion then the RP just gets boring.

19. KazeKira Gems: 1/31

Media:
    You need not worry. Even a prodigy such as him does not know all spells, nor is he without or immune consequence.

20. SilencedFaith Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    Hello~~

I would like to join this as well, but because I'm on prac in the moment, I'll post details in the weekend?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.