1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ability score drained?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Fergus, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Fergus Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Jan has a x symbol within a circle shown on his character.
    This means ability score drained but I can't remove it by using restoration spells.
    How do I get rid of it ????

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As I remember it, when you get an ability score drained as opposed to level drained, the effects wear off after a short time. So he should be ok. :)

3. Fergus Gems: 7/31

Not sure if the effects have worn off or not but the symbol still remains. I have rested several times and went to the priest for restoation spells and it just won't go away.
    I think its been about 12 or so days in the game and the symbol is still there.
    Could be a bug ?

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You could also check the character 'record' screen. This lists each of the affects that are affecting the character (good and bad). That way you will be able to get the exact description instead of relying on interpreting the icon (of course, this is what you probably have already done). Also, could you check which ability has been affected (I think it will be shown in a different colour on ths stats). That might give another clue. Finally, is he wearing anything that can affect his ability. Some weapons can reduce an ability as a penalty for their use (for example, Baldur's Shield reduces strenght by 1). To be absolutely sure go to the inventory screen and take off everyhting he is wearing or has equipped.

5. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks very much slappy.
    I'll try this : maybe it was an item but I checked each description and didn't see anything (Maybe I missed something)

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just a min pal!

There are "hidden" abilities of certain items that you don't see in their description, i.e. the armor from Limited Wish spell has THAC0 and movement penalty although it is not in it's description.

So, do what Slappy said - unequip him completely!

7. Fergus Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Heh cool it Extremist.
    I'm just asking a question.

Slappy was correct as it was the Crossbow of speed I had Jan carrying that caused his Ability drain. Although the description said he would lose strength from his stats I didn't expect to have the Ability drain symbol.
    Thanks to Slappy.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Ok, ok, glad it worked in first glanze...

9. The Sly One Banned

All is solved!

[In case you hadn't noticed, the last post in this topic was a year ago, so you raised it's moldering corpse up for what? A meaningless exclamation. Very Sly - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 25, 2002).]

10. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Since we are discussing drained ability scores, how do you reverse the effects of a mind flayer draining your intelligence? Does this go away after time? Do you use restoration, or do you become a permanant dummy? It has only happened to me once so far and I reloaded and avoided the intel drain the second time through. However, more of those pesky MoFo's are coming and I want to be ready. Thanks - JB.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Your intelligence comes back after a certain amount of time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.