1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

After Planescape: Torment...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by willsanders84, Dec 1, 2009.

1. willsanders84 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Torment's the word. I just can't find anything that even compares to it now. I suspect that I may never play another computer game. Can anything stand up to this epic rpg?

If someone asked me the same thing, I'd say try Fallout (just the first one) and Baldur's Gate II (not the first one). I might even suggest Little Big Adventure.

Unfortunately, obviously, I've played all three. I've played BG1 and Fallout 2 aswell. And LBA 2.

Can anyone recommend anything that'll fill the vast chasm that Planescape has created? I've heared people recommend The Longest Journey, but am sceptical.

I ask those who *know*. Thankyou.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I recommend playing something completely different for a while, like "Trackmania Nations Forever", no rpg but fun.

When your mind is free again to dive into another story, I recommend Loom, a classic LucasArts adventure.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Arcanum. You have to ignore the lousy combat system, but the roleplay goodness involved is well worth the trouble. If you have NWN2, the Mask of the Betrayer expansion is also by Chris Avellone (writer/designer of PS:T) and pretty good/comparable. I wouldn't get NWN2 just for it, though, because IMO NWN2 is clunky and ridiculous.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I wouldn't recommend The Longest Journey to scratch this itch - it's a nice game in its own way (with some horrific flaws), but it's not Ps:Ty.

... I really don't have much that I can recommend, besides regurgitating the standard RPG recommendations, none of which are much like Ps:T in their approach. If you were asking for recommendations after playing Fallout I'd point directly to Geneforge, but it doesn't attempt anything like what Ps:T does, IMO. Still, very good RPGs.

Ps:T is pretty much unique, sorry.

Maybe give KotOR2 a spin - it's an echo of Ps:T in quite a few ways but ... yeah, doesn't really pull it off - is mediocre in the gameplay department and ultimately unsatisfying, with some terrible design thrown in for kicks (or more likely, lack of time/budget, but y'know...).

To throw one out from the left field, try Photopia. It's ... not like Ps:T at all, but still.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't think any RPGs really come even close in terms of storyline compared to Ps:T. Arcanum was mentioned above and it's a really good game but does not quite cut it. The later part of the game is horrible and the main plot uninspiring with only very few redempting features. Many of the sideplots are nice though and I'd compare the game more with fallout than Ps:T really.

Your best chances of finding a Ps:T expirience is really in the world of adventuring games and preferrably older ones. The Longest Journey was almost bordering to bad in my opinion but I know there are many who differ on me on that one. The gabriel knight series are also a good choice and have an excellent atmosphere to boot (one of the things that made me enjoy Ps:T so much). Loom was also mentioned above and it's also a good choice. In any case the main point being that I'd direct my search towards adventuring games instead of RPG's.

EDIT: The Dig is also a good option.

6. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Sorry my friend. Once you go Planescape, there is no turning back. Everything seems bland and flavourless after. You have to live with it. My condolences. :angel:

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After being couped up for so long playing Planescape: Torment, get outside. Go skiing, go sledding, take in a football game or two. Get to know your family and friends again -- it is the season....

8. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    you could try a snes emulator and hunt down some snes classics, like secret of evermore and chrono trigger

9. NguyenGiaThai Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

How about something different?

A different taste in RPG:..... Chronos Cross. I know some like to recommend Chrono Trigger but it's a bit too old, SNES era. jRPG at its finest.

Or a different style of game altogether: ... like tactical turn based RPG. Silent Storm series, and its sequel, Hammer & Sickle.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.