1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ALFA -Beta! Gamma?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Aug 12, 2002.

1. killamber Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BARDS RULE
    I'll be there...

[ August 31, 2002, 20:57: Message edited by: killamber ]

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Phlan went up, on schedule, at 10am. You do not need to install the 86Mb hakpak as we have not used any custom tiles.

At the moment we are not connected to Arabel or Scardale due to Vault tech. difficulties.

Hint: choose a Faerun deity, don't leave that blank.

[ September 01, 2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Erran ]

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I entered Phlan today...Sweet! I had a good time! Until I was killed by a pack of ghouls in Valhingen graveyard...Nasty, nasty!

Good Advice: Never venture out alone...Fairly quick death awaits!

Bugs? I did notice that in the Laughing Goblin and Neller's (sp?) the innkeeper's said they had items to sell, but when I asked to see them...Nothing happened. Just wanted to let you know...

Otherwise...Very well done so far!

4. Erran Gems: 19/31

Thanks Sir Bel, that is a known one: those scripts are on the 'to be written pile' as they will involve the whole resting deal. As long as you got your ale , you're ok?

Btw, the inn in Kuto's Well Ward is Nat Wyler's Bell inn, aka 'the Pit' to locals.

OK, You've had some fun and whacked some goblins, we're going to turn the respawns off. No real need to hide behind pseudonyms as these chars will not be carried forward, for the Beta why not use your SP name?
    Now we'd like you all to head out of town either by the Northgate or the Thargate in Old Phlan and explore some of the 150 wilderness areas that ADMs Baldak and Evaine lovingly crafted.

Challenges:
    Can you find the source of the Stojanow river in the Dragonspine Mountains?
    Can you find the hidden elven village in the Quivering forest?
    Can you find the borders to Thar, the Ride and Arabel?
    Can you find the village of Stormy Bay?

Report any broken transitions. If you hover your mouse over your pic you will see the ref no. for the area you are in.

P.S. Who got the note in the Elite Goblin's chest?

[ September 02, 2002, 12:17: Message edited by: Erran ]

5. Voersaa2 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I worked together with a Hafling rogue and cleaned out the goblin house. Her name is Kipli, last i saw her, she still had the note.

Btw. can we find the "subjects" mentioned in the note, in the beta version of Phlan?

6. Erran Gems: 19/31

"There is a new rumour circulating in the 'Laughing Goblin' and 'Nat Wyler's Bell': a couple of adventurers called Voeresa and Kipli found a note in a chest belonging to an elite goblin hiding in a riverfront house in Old Phlan. It tells of more goblins camping in the Quivering forest, north of Phlan ..."

7. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Just arrived home from a month long business trip. Checked up the PC a bit, and tried to get in the Phlan server.

I guess I was just too tired, but I don't know how to get in. (YES, I AM A MORON). :)

Will try sleeping first, then hopefully, someone would have left instructions for me on how to get in Phlan when I wake up. If there is...

... I'm not going to work. :grin:

:hippy:

8. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Taking Phlan down for a day or so to idiot proof it. It seems that some people's idea of roleplaying is to run round town and kill all the merchants. It's not even as if they get any gold or items from it.
    Might even let BTA out of that tomb ...

9. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

So far, so good. Got into a group in Phlan yesterday, we went to the graveyard, after finding the note in East Phlan, found our way into a previously locked crypt, and died horribly fighting a Skeleton Priest and an impossible Cursed Ranger (I think it was a ranger). Our bodies were strewn from one end of the crypt to the other. I'll admit though, it was kinda fun. When Phlan is back on line, I'm going out into the wilds, trying to meet some of Erran's challenges. So far, I'm very impressed, and it's good to see other's around. Every time I've logged into Phlan, there have been at least 2 others online, sometimes as many as 8 people. And I have to admit, I've been one of those adventurers running around in his underwear, scaring all the noblewomen. Heck, haven't we all wanted to go streaking down the city streets at one time or another? :)

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a couple of false starts when I logged in. My game froze up twice when I tried to put on my newly acquired Studded Leather armor. Third time was the charm though.

I then had a bit of fun sneaking around the Valhingen graveyard and I killed a few Vampire Bats and a couple of Zombies. I was surprised at how few XP I got. Zombies were 7 and the Bats were 5 IIRC. I sure won't be leveling up any time soon if I keep killing that caliber of monster :)

I then went out and snuck around a couple of the wilderness areas adjacent to the graveyard map and ran into absolutely nothing out there, not even an animal or two.

So I headed back to the graveyard and found one of the locked trapped crypts was open! I snuck inside and poked around a bit, but there were traps blocking all the unexplored parts, and since I was alone and had no trap disarming skills, I decided to leave... Well, the exit didn't exit, so I am still there... :)

[ September 03, 2002, 19:20: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

11. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There's also the one crypt, I can't remember the name, but it's in the extreme right bottom side of Valhingen, that the exit isn't in the logical spot, it's in the doorway between the two chambers, and not the stairs going up. Not sure if that's a bug, or a 'feature'. But at least you could get out of that one, eh BTA? :)

12. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Idiot-proof... no wonder I couldn't get in. :p

:hippy:

13. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Our first working portal is open, behind the graveyard, going to Thunder Peaks. I portaled through and back fine. BTA got rejected, I advised him to change his deoderant! Try it and let me know how you get on.

P.S You do need the ALFA1.2 Hakpak (80MB download) in your hak folder for Thunderpeaks, he uses special tilesets.

14. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Got bounced back the first time I tried it, then dropped my Phlan Visa and tried it again and it worked fine.

Just checked it again and it's working fine now.

[ September 08, 2002, 21:05: Message edited by: Capt. Tripps ]

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Couldn't get to Thunderpeaks, but I didn't go back and drop my Phlan Visa after Capt. Tripps let me know that worked.

Instead I heard that Undead needed to be eradicated in the Valhingen Graveyard and in Sokal Keep and they were paying 1gp per skeleton knuckle. Seeing as how Undead are my racial enemy, how could I resist?

Went to the graveyard; never found any Skeletons. Just the same Vampire Bats and Zombies. So I took the ferry to Sokal Keep.

No Skeletons outside, but more Zombies and Vampire Bats, and I had to play cat-and-mouse with a couple of Giant Spiders. Good thing I can run a little faster than them, and duck around a corner to go stealthy again :)

Went into the inner Keep and found nothing; walked up a ramp to the parapet and saw a Skeleton with a crossbow. Sh*t I thought; a crossbow. Well, it's just a Skeleton right? A hit or two and it should be dead instead of undead right? So I sneak up to it and as I attack, I note the word "huge" prepended to the Skeleton's name. Got a couple of good hits on it before I died :mad: Shouldn't HUGE Skeletons look bigger than normal Skeletons? I guess not.

[ September 08, 2002, 19:49: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

16. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] LOL He was huge before he went on the diet! Take it up with Bio, they never did a huge model.
    Like I told ya, soloing is a risky business. Next time take some AORTA chums with you, like a cleric or two!

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Had a BLAST today with Bel and Erran and a couple others I didn't recognize. First we took on some Goblins room to room in a couple of houses then sailed to Sokal Keep and cleared the whole thing out. Got strength drained by a Shadow though and it seems to be permanent. I couldn't afford the temple after I finally upgraded my crappy 1d6 shortbow for a nice 1d8 longbow fit for my Ranger :) so I'll have to live with 13 strength for a while it seems. :( 120 gp for a measly Lesser Restoration? Bah!

I noticed you have some NORMAL skeletons in the Valhingen Graveyard now Erran, so I could finally collect some booty (a measly 1gp per knuckle though) doing what my Ranger loves to do: namely hunting Undead. :)

Chanced the sewers on my own again and avoided all the Stink Beetles this time and killed a couple of nice fat Fire Beetles for the 2gp per belly and bit of extra XP.

I'm now about a third of the way to level 2 :)

Oh, one more thing. I seem to have a problem only in multiplayer where the game either crashes or hangs when I go to move/equip stuff on my inventory screen, and it doesn't always happen, but happens often enough to be really annoying. Anyone hear of this problem?

[ September 15, 2002, 02:49: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was about to join you two when the next chapter of the IWD2 solution came in, so I was preoccupied. :shake:

Next time. ;)

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Terrible luck struck on Sunday! I joined a huge number of people with Erran, and we went back to the Goblin area in east Phlan. Somehow I triggered a Goblin ambush, and even though I was in stealth mode, I got shot to bits. I tried to run away and let the others take them out, but I couldn't get far enough quickly enough.

As I lay dying, my game crashes, and apparently the same happened to at least some of the others. So I restart my game and log back on. As soon as I'm there I cry for help, but everyone's standing around in confusion, and I pass on into the morgue.

The party was nice enough to raise me and we went back to collect my gear. There was nothing on the corpse. Someone who I think was Lokken said he looted me, but found only my Phlan visa (MmmHmmm ;) ), so the others were extremely kind and gave me gold and equipment for me to re-equip myself, but I lost the 4 healing potions I had and they're extremely important for a 1st level character.

After re-equipping, I joined Erran and another elf with a funny name in the graveyard where we entered a crypt. Killed a few skeletons, but then the elf accidentally tripped a trap strong enough to kill him. As I was now out of healing potions, I couldn't help. The elf said he had some, but we couldn't loot or barter with him (he wasn't quite dead; just at death's door).

At this point Erran had to go, so it was just me and the elf. I checked my inventory, and I had exactly 50gp left, so I said I'd run back to the Adventurer's Guild and buy that 50gp healing potion that looks like a trap; it's the least I could do since he spotted me 100gp when I had died.

By the time I got back, I guess Erran had raised him, so we continued into the crypt and ran across a bunch of Ghouls; far too many to handle ourselves, so we fought a running battle back to the exit. I let one get too close and got a disease incubating in me, but made it to the exit where we were able to dispatch the one that followed us in the wider spaces of the graveyard.

We foolishly decide to go back in. He said he'd parry and occupy them and I could shoot them. I entered stealth mode and went through after the elf, but I entered first (I guess I'm closer to the server or have a faster connection or something), and I'm killed in one shot before I even see what's on the screen (despite being in stealth). I stabilize at -1 HP though, so not too bad.

The elf comes in, and can't handle the two Ghouls alone but manages to get one to Badly Wounded before getting stunned and summarily dispatched. He seemed to stabilize at -7 HP, but shortly thereafter the server went down, so I don't know what will become of us... :)

Damn, and I had over 300 XP too. Hopefully I'll be OK when I log in next time since the server went down...

20. Erran Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Not so much a bug as a feature. It seems that if someone loots your corpse while you are bleeding, it waits to see if you live or die before awarding the loot. Thus Garac might be sitting in a bar in Phlan when it pops into his inventory. This is under review.

BTW, the reason the firefight with the goblins was so deadly, some of your companions were high level and the encounter was scaled. Hang out with the big guys and it may get rough!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.