1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Alpha-channel not working and other stuff

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by kmer2495, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kmer2495 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK... new here, sorry to ask a question that may have been asked, but I was not able to find an answer searching through this forum.

I installed and patched PoR_RoMD on my XP(SP3) system at the house. I know that I played this game for a few hours a couple of years ago, but on my much older and dated system, but I don't remember these issues I am about to ask you about.

My current system is roughly a 2gig processor, with a couple gigs of ram, and an NVidia GTS 250 graphics card.

1. There is a glaring graphics issue, about half way on the screen, that when I scroll up or down, some of the textures for the walls, wells, or other debris, will disappear or vanish, then reappear when I scroll in a different direct. Odd, not game ending, just a little jarring when it happens.

2. Smoke on burning items, like furniture and debris in the dungeon, has the alpha-channel NOT working. Meaning, I get a tremendous slow down around those items, and a semi-transparent square of roughly 256x256 is what is being seen. I can still see the smoke, but the semi-transparent square is there as well.

3. Most of the spells, will cause a slow down as well, but I haven't noticed the alpha-channel problem with those as yet.

I have tried running the game "standard", with no adjustments to the properties of the por2main.exe file. The textures are fine when I do that, meaning that I do not get the semi-transparent block showing at times, but I get the odd disappearing and reappearing items about half way up the screen while scrolling.

If I adjust the properties of the por2main.exe file, changing it to be compatible with win95, win98, or any of the others, I get the semin-transparent blocks again and massive slow downs.

I have tried running the Compatibility Administrator program, forcing Direct Draw Emulation, but that results in the semi-transparent blocks and slow downs.

I have disabled Direct Draw via the DXDiag, and that does the same thing.

Bottom line, I am at a loss. With the things that I have tried, I don't know what else to do. Like I said before, i know that I played it on my old system for a bit, and nothing like this was an issue. The sites that I have found to assist in this area, pointed to the FSAA for the graphics card, so I turned that off... or they pointed to other various patches and such, none of which has worked.

Has anyone else come across similar troubles, or possibly a solution that may help. I enjoy the game, even for all of it's flaws, but the issues are bringing it down to a barely playable level, let alone enjoyable level. Forgive my gripes and whiny attitude, I would just like to play the game as I once did on my old system... sadly, it is a door stop at the moment.

Thank you for any assistance,
    -kmer2495

---------- Added 23 hours, 56 minutes and 9 seconds later... ----------

You are kidding, right? No one else has had this or similar problems? I had always been told by my mom and dad that I was special, I guess they were right. Go figure.

-kmer2495

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. kmer2495 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thank you for the response, but sadly, that didn't get it to work either. Again, I do appreciate you looking into this, maybe i just have to resign myself to being special.

-kmer2495

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No problem, I'm sorry to hear it didn't help. Unfortunately Nvidia has more issues with older games the newer the cards/drivers, so this could just be an issue that's relatively new and not encountered by many people yet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.