1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An eye for an eye only makes the world blind Recruiting

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not a problem. Just don't forget that I'm a Bootneck (Marine), not a Pongo (Army) when you write it! :D

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    On the suggestion of Tarrasque I've included the Longitude and Latitude of the area you'll be operating in at the end of the post, just copy and past it into google earth and you'll be whisked away to a land far off :) The main reason is to allow you to plan, make suggestions and generally know the area a bit more, I'll give you maps still and if you want to know whats in a particular direction or something just PM me and I'll upload a shot for you.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]

1. If you decide cut west a little early.
    As you make it to this point you realise that the field boundaries will provide excellent cover for a significant part of your journey, your squad will be alot harder to hit in a firefight and enemies will need 7+ (6 followed by a 4+) to hit you whilst your in the fields. No one is shooting at you at the moment though.

2. If you decided to head to the road.
    As you come up on the road you hear voices, patrols weren't expected this far out luckily they haven't noticed you in the low light, you can choose to see if they pass (go to spoiler A) or you can engage them (go to spoiler B)

Only read these if told to do so:
    A.
    The men are carrying AK47's lazily as they amble up the road, they come to the cross roads and exchange conversation for a minute before turning back towards the town and walking off

B.
    The men are taken by surprise you kill them on 2+ due to the extreme short range and the fact they aren't really moving very fast. Luckily it seems the gun shots were too far out to attract any attention and you may continue on your way

I have PM'd this to you all, I have also put it in the OOC (recruitment) thread, make sure you discuss your actions so you don't all end up doing different things :) Sorry if this is making matters complicated hopefully we can get it streamlined in the future! Just realised I hadn't really thought this through with multiple people but we'll get it to work lol :D

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Eh? I'm sure it would have worked fine if we kept it ic. If we need todiscuss which way to go surely there's no harm having an in character discusion.

5. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    yeah fine, however you want to do it :)

6. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

OK guys,

That'll be my last post until after I get back on Saturday.

Try not to get me killed! :D

7. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Alright Tarrasque, hae fun whee ever you'll going and hurry back :p

8. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Ok, time for a much needed update :)

[​IMG]

This represents the current position of your squad (its a rough guess-timate based on what I've read, so correct me if I'm wrong). It also shows some interesting notes about the terrain not immediately obvious from the satellite picture :) The hill doesn't provide a view of the main objective but you can see the middle and northern parts of town easily enough.

[​IMG]

Time 0615 - Sunrise expected at 0730 - 0800

1. If you continue down the road...
    Your squad moves along the road, the boundaries either side cover your advance, as you approach the cross roads you spot the light of torches and hear some people chattering.

You can get the drop on them and try to take them out before they know your there, there's three of them and 2+ kills.

You can alternatively try and move past them through the fields, roll a d6 on a 1 they flash a torch your way and spot you, they all miss their initial shots giving you time to react. Normal combat but close range so 3+ to kill.

Gun fire will attract 5 reinforcements, who will head up the road, it will take them a few minutes to reach you...enough time to scarper.

2. If you head for the tree line at the back of the hill...
    Your squad moves across through the scrub land to the base of the hill, climbing to the top provides an excellent view of the North and Middle of the town unfortunately the trees conceal the objective from view. Moving to the base of the hill will cover your approach and allow you to gain access to the town undetected.

3. If you move to the cross roads just south-east of the hill...
    Nothing happens and you may carry on moving.

4. If you head to the house at the base of the hill...
    This small two story building is abandoned, the door is locked however and will require forcing. Alternatively you can find a window to smash. From the second floor you get a view over a few small buildings and bushes to the main objective, taking time to observe using your scopes (basic 4x acog scopes) will reveal it to be lightly guarded, 2 in the courtyard, 2 on the roof of the main building, though you can safely assume there will be more near by or inside.

5. If you head further south to the fields...
    These fields have excellent hard boundaries of stone, they also provide a view across the flat approach to the town, you can see that heading directly to the south east corner of the complex's walls following the heavier growth will make you exceptionally hard to spot. If you choose to follow this approach you will reach the wall safely.

Ok heres some more possible points of interest.

9. Tarrasque

OK I'm back.

10. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Just checking the timeline here:

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Yes I believe it was supposed to be July...I remember checking and double checking my post several times, obviously missed the obvious thing :D Thanks, I'll go put it right :) btw you have enough information to make the next few posts your self I think so go ahead. Unless you want me to put something in?

12. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Sorry guys real life kinda got busy for a bit there, if you could just let me know what route your taking here, ie which points you'll hit...I know your heading to point 3, but are you going across the field directly, across the field then down the road, or through point 1 then point 3 and sticking to the road all the way?

Thanks :) I'll make a post as soon as you let me know, your doing well guys, nice to see some dialogue and stuff going on, I know its been slow going and good to see some questioning of orders lol :D

13. Rotku

Heading south, across the fields to the road, then along the road to 3, then south from there 'til we're dead east of the primary. I think?

14. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]

The squad moves quickly across the field to the road directly south then move down it to the cross roads, checking left and right they see no one, straight ahead though behind some hedge rows they can see a house two stories high at the base of the hill. Moving south they come to a point that is directly opposite the objective, luckily they've made good time and its still dark enough to make it across the open ground unnoticed. They're backs hit the wall of the closest of the four buildings just east of the objective, they weren't much more than single story shacks but they were solid cover and looking round the corner allowed a limited view over the man high walls of the target complex.

Glancing round the corner you can see the upper floors of the buildings and their rooftops, you spot two guards on the roof top next to what seems to be a satallite dish. A cable runs from it into one of the upstairs rooms, this is obviously your target.

[​IMG]

sorry for the mock up, couldn't find all the pictures I need to photoshop it from scratch so just drew it instead

Armed with this little bit of intel, the squad makes a silent dash for the wall as they come to the wall John (Rotku) accidentally makes some noise, you hear some shouted conversation between a couple of the guards.

if any of you feel like adding a limited knowledge of the Pakistani language (not sure if its that or just a dialect of another language?) to your list of abilities then you'll know that someone just got told to check out the noise. Shaman perhaps?

The guard will only casually check out the area, he has to make it round from the northern gate so you've got a few minutes to react.

I rolled dice for your movement and you got heard, unlucky, I also rolled a dice for who did it so its not all Rotku's fault :p

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Crap on a pogo stick. I doubt my char would know the language - maybe we were given some introductory booklets we got before being sent to Pakistan, but not much more. Maybe some of the other guys know more...

As for the other guy - does it look like we have somewhere to hide? It might be best to wait him out, as right now the other guy is alert too. As far as I can see, the other options are:
    - fall back and come back later,
    - try to disable him as he comes around the corner; making too much noise would alert the other guy and possibly the rest of the baddies
    - circle around and enter through the ohter gate (west?) as he is checking

16. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well maybe you glean enough to get the gist :)

Those sound like some good options, The Western gate is more of a main gate, and the wall is a little taller than a person so six foot and change so probably climbable. The guy will come from the northern corner, so to avoid him you'll want to head to the south wall, so back out to the little houses (just to avoid you running into him lol :)). Also to answer some ones character question, a couple of grenades would probably wreck the equipment just as much as a bit of remote detonated C4 (ie. to the point of useless). You can make a safe bet that the window the cable is going through is the room you want ;)

Also sorry for this being a little rail-roady (CHOO CHOO!) I might have made the first mission a little hard lol :D but its creating some nice hatred between soldier and commander so I guess its all good. Don't forget you can get in contact with command whenever you like, just maybe out of ear shot of the enemy! You can also split up I don't mind keeping track of each of you :)

17. Rotku

Heh, nothing wrong with railroading in PbP. Often quite needed to keep things flowing.

Is there any quick hiding place in the area?

18. Tarrasque

Certainly trying to take down the guard silently would be almost doomed to fail. (Especially if Dave is feeling evil :p!)

We'll have to find someway of hiding.

19. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    @ Rotku: You could probably make it to the south wall quick enough, or back to the buildings you sprinted from. Either way you've got to hope that the guards aren't going to try very hard at finding you ;)

@ Tarrasque: Its not me that's evil it's the dice I tell you!! :mommy:

Btw I hope your having fun, and if you have any suggestions just shoot me a PM! (this is my first time GM'ing a pbp so super paranoid). You never know we might make it past the first page soon :D

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ok gang, I'm for circling around from the south. This is kinda risky, but can work out spectacularly if we are lucky.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.