1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone interested in speedrunning?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Nnimrod, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Nnimrod Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

(I don't think there's another thread about this... correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anyone interested? If some people are interested we can agree to some rules and start planning our parties :D

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Rules? No cheating and just make the fastest time possible, I'd say, using any and all bugs and exploits available.

There's some exploits related to the Infinity Engine here.

3. Nnimrod Gems: 2/31

cheating implies rules, hence my suggestion that we lay some down.

Stuff like squatting/muling/adding characters at strategic times.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, most of those glitches should be off limits IMO. Otherwise you aren't really playing a CRPG any more, you're just chaining together glitches, and it doesn't even matter what party you build or if you have any tactical skill. A couple things on that page do seem reasonable:

"Fill an item's charges capacity at a vendor. -- Simply sell the charged item and buy it back. The item is then completely charged to the maximum number of charges."

Lots of CRPGs have this. The explanation is that the vendor has the "recharge item" skill. It costs you money, so it's balanced.

"Several character models seem to have an innate speed boost. These speed boosts stack with haste. Access to these models can be achieved with a shapeshifting spell. The following models, when hasted, provide a faster speed than a hasted human: "
    Not a glitch, fast creature is fast.

Adding characters, mule, squat, etc, isn't quite as bad. You gain an xp advantage but you still have to play the game. Now if you start using it to duplicate items, or repeatedly bring in characters, cast their spells, then dump them and re import the same characters with full spell memorization, that's crossing the line.

Would you be trying to speedrun ingame time or real time (I prefer the former)?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    When I play, I pause often to consider my next move, and to avoid buffs wearing out unnecessarily. It's a compulsion, I even pause after picking up objects! I like to think that if the game had a time limit, I'd have completed it before Isair and Madae had consolidated their forces and become unstoppable.
    So, in my last playthrough, I managed to complete the game in a total of 46 days. I also dislike resting, mainly because I take ages rearranging my spell picks, but also because I feel that having many leftover spells is a waste, and indicative of poor strategy. "Autopause: Spell Cast" is both helpful for saving time as it is for being more efficient in combat. I rested maybe 5 or 6 times in a Heart of Fury run. It wasn't a speedrun, because I was exploring the maps, and doing every little sidequest I encountered. I also like to install lots of mods to my game, which take up even more time.

tldr; NO, I'm not interested in a true speedrun, though I already incorporate elements of it in my normal gameplay. When it comes to real time as opposed to in-game time, I'm actually tremendously slow, because of all the time I'm pondering actions while paused.

6. Nnimrod Gems: 2/31

ingame time. and agreed.

I guess we can just post times and what tactics/glitches/questionable cheese we used to attain said time.

Off to the drawing board to plan another party :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.