1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AORTA full

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Erran, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sorry folks but I've recently been informed there's a guild cap and we've hit it so sorry, if you get into ALFA now you're gonna have to look for another guild.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Does this mean players who are 'on hold' for AORTA will not get in, and if not, will this cap be raised after NWN has been released?

3. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

For now your best bet would be to form your own Society, with like minded people. By the way, for future reference, the word "Guild" is being stricken from the charter, since its not been being used correctly anyway.

At anyrate, we don't know yet what the numbers will be, and likely won't know until after game release. The consensus so far is that More is not Better. So if you want to wait and hope for a spot in AORTA, you may be waiting for people to die off to leave you an opening.

My advice? Don't hold your breath. Wait for game release and create your own character and go! Join up with the PCs you meet in the game, and decide what to do from there. Otherwise, Go check out the Charter at ALFA and find out the criteria for starting your own Society.

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Thanks a lot.

Woohoo - Now a Kobold Aider - I'm not sure if thats good or not.

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited April 15, 2001).]

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

So is there a list of whos in and whos not any where?

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] If you're in you would know, right?

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Am I just that damn unlucky. Please someone slap me with a soft shell crustation. Fine, I shall wonder around on my own. That of course is assuming I actually get into alfa. (/me is growing tired of this game already)

8. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

"If you're in you would know, right?"

True . . . I guess I'm a gonna be a loner then. I'd ask if anybody wanted to hire a 3 foot tall halfing, but Bateluer despises mercenaries.

[This message has been edited by Bateluer (edited April 16, 2001).]

9. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] So what was the ALFA guild limit?

10. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

It was never clearly stated, and so there's been much debate. Most Societies have limited themselves to 6 or 7, some even less. For now, I wouldn't worry about it, since there's nothing to do together anyway. Just wait for release, and RP your interview if and when you find AORTA IC, if you still want to be a member.

(Btw, there are no "guilds" in ALFA. The definition does not apply, and so the term has been dropped and the Charter is being changed to reflect the appropriate titles.)

11. Voltric Gems: 19/31

I would disagree, ALFA has used the term 'guild' from the start and they still list 'guild database' and 'register guild' on the website. I think that a guild is a totally reasonable term to use on ALFA. In any role-playing environment a group of PC who choose to band together for a common goal within a unified structure are by definition a guild. I guess you can call them what ever you want (group, society, etc.) but 'guild' is still an appropriate title.

And yes I am interested, but i don't have time to RP by Email. I'll get involved when NWN and ALFA starts. I still interested in helping to orginize the guild and I'm ready to play when the system is up and running.

12. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Actually, Voltric, no... Paragon has stated that all that will be changed, and the word "guild" is being stricken.
    If you want to read the entire topic go to the ALFA board, under General Discussion, and read: Topic: A clarification about 'Guilds'.
    It saddens me to know that you believe I would propagate misinformation. Trust me, Voltric, I always check my sources.

Date: Saturday, April 14, 2001 03:27 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I, personally abhor that term.It was brought about by the UO generation, and placed into further use by Everquest and AC.

Forgotten Realms Guilds, are usually set up by Merchant Families, or groups and are used to generate profit, and to provide benefits to their members.Think of the OLD Unions of 19th Century USA.
    IE: the Lamp liters' Guild in Waterdeep

Society:
    A society is a group of Like-minded people, who have a common goal.That goal, May or may not be attainable easily.
    IE: The Harpers, Zhentarim, Cult of The Dragon
    These are all societies.Societies can be made up many individuals, and ALSO may have several "Adventuring Companies" involved in them.

Adventuring Company:
    An adventuring Company is what we all end up being in when we play a PNP game.A group of PCs, who may or may not know anything about each other, unite for a brief while to gain a certain "attainable" goal,(whether it be gold, treasure, or simply kill the monster.

I see most of ALFA's "guilds" as Societies.
    They all have large-scope goals beyond get treasure.With this, I would like to add an amendment to the Charter, and hereby abolish the term "guild" from ALFA as the umbrella term for a group of individuals.

From this point out, I would like to hear the term Adventuring Company, or Society in more use.There really should be two separate forms on the application.Perhaps a "check here if you are a Adventuring Company" or "here for Society".
    We need clarity.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 16, 2001).]

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

BTW; Darien I wasn't questioning your information as much as I was disagreeing with the need to change the term. I've never played either UO or EQ but I've been in many guilds in RPGs. The term has been used in that form for many years. I think the point that Paragon is over looking is that many groups who are formed to run a business all adventure. Due to the fact that all 'players' in a RPG be it a PnP, LARP, or CRPG want to advenuture. Thus if PCs form a guild (business) call it the healer guild for example, these clerics may also adventure together.

I think the only question is what is the 'goal' of AORTA? Is it advenuturing together or carry out some greater task. I think if I belong to an orginization I am still free to advenuture with any 'party' I want. The guild is there to provide a service - for a price - and further soom aim like learning or skill.

This was simply my opinion. I think things will change as ALFA evolves and many different groups come into existance.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited April 16, 2001).]

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Voltric is absolutely right. If Paragon thinks that the world "guild" as we know it in online fantasy today derived from UO and EQ then he is very much mistaken. (Not to mention that he should inform himself a bit better on these matters.)

I've been a member of 3 or so guilds when the term MMORPG didn't even exist yet. For one, we had a very active guild in Sierra's The Realm with over 700 active members at its peak. It fell apart a few years ago because of some internal problems, but that's not my point. The only reason why the term "guild" could not apply in ALFA too is that they think guilds should be sanctioned and have less than 20 members. True, THAT is no guild. That's hardly a band.

The guilds in online worlds today don't stick to the rules for medieval guilds like the Baker's Guild or Shoemaker's Guild but go way beyond that. For instance, our guild in The Realm was called Guild of Darkness. How would Paragon define that? A guild of darknesses? Come on. Not to mention that even though the name of the guild is sinister, we were NOT an overall evil guild.

See my point?

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 16, 2001).]

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Just because the term has been used for many years doesn't mean that is has been used correctly. Merriam-Webster defines a guild as: a medieval association of merchants or craftsmen. Less rigid definitions are also possible, but in the society of FR, the original one is most appropriate.
    The definition of a guild calls for members who share a trade or a skill, as in your example of a Healer's Guild. The activities of a guild need not preclude adventuring, and a guild of clerics could of course be both a Guild and an Adventuring Party simultaneously. Other examples would a Bardic Alliance, (all bards) or a Wizards Guild (all magic users).

However, the groups that have been forming around ALFA are not Guilds, as defined by the strictest definition. They include members of various classes and skills, and are not bound together by any particular trade. Thus they are better described as "Societies". It's semantics, but still...

Thanks for the debate, Voltric, it's been a blast! :D

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited April 16, 2001).]

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So you're saying that adventuring cannot be considered a skill, craft or trade? I would hazard the opinion that it is... I don't know what the vision for AORTA was, but from reading the AORTA page, it seemed we were a group of adventurers that people in trouble could come to for help. Depending on the nature of the trouble, we could select the best group of adventurers to face the task. Our fee would be the spoils of our adventuring... Each of us I'm sure would provide info to the rest of the guild about how best to face various hazards (be they monsters or whatever) that have been encountered. Sounds like a guild to me.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 16, 2001).]

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    (response to Darien, darn simultaneous posts) ;)

Knock, knock!? Anyone home? I just said we're WAY beyond the time where the term could have been used correctly from the beginning. ALFA can't change that, sorry, when the whole world thinks of guilds (guilds in online worlds, of course), as something completely different.
    Sure, they can try, and I'm sure they will...
    But that won't make much difference. As it is, there is hardly any need to change the term guild to anything else because of what the word means. NO ONE here understands guilds as the guilds you'd find in medieval Europe for example. Again, I'm talking about online guilds, to make myself 100% clear.

Changing the name from guilds to societies or anything else in this case is a farce. Just put a sticker on the guild page saying that they must not excess 20 members. That would solve the whole problem with much less fuss.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 16, 2001).]

18. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Ok, the number of members in a Guild/Society, whatever, is not the issue right now. I dont' think anyone will be regulating the size of these organizations after the release of NWN. As long as those members meet In Character, and join the Society based on the character's motivations, and not on the Player's desire to play with his buddies.

First and foremost, ALFA is a Role Playing community. This means that the CHARACTERS come first. Not the players, not the "guilds". Just as in BG and BG2, people will begin their adventures alone, with one or two companions, and build relationships within the Game. All of this extraneous recruitment should really never have been started in the first place.

BTA, adventuring is not a skill or a craft, and could only be loosely defined as a trade. Skills are defined specifically in DnD, and "adventuring" is not on the list. :p Heh. Regardless, as I said before, it is semantics, and will not change people's concepts of any of the ALFA "guilds."

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just one point I don't really understand... What is PnP D&D all about? A group of buddies getting together for a bit of escapist adventure. I just don't see what's wrong with that. Once in-game things may change; you may want to join with others on their more interesting adventure, you may decide you don't like your buddy's character etc. What's wrong with wanting to start together with a bunch of friends that you want to hang around and have fun with? I thought that was the whole point of this! :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited April 16, 2001).]

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Exactly. And Darien, where do you have any confirmation that they will not be regulating sizes of guilds after release? They sure started doing it quickly before the release.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.