1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aoskar

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Extremist, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Is he really dead? Who actually won a fight: Aoskar of Pain Lady? Lady didn't maze Aola or Fell and Aoskar is considered dead, why?

I'm still thinking on it...

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Lady of Pain obviously won... She's still in control of Sigil in case you haven't noticed. ;) The demolished temple of Aoskar should be clue enough too...

Aoskar has been mazed as far as I know. As for Fell, he's probably not far from the Mazes either.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31

But Tal, isn't the name Lady of Pain a clue to her desperate situation? She's in pain running Sigil. What if Aoskar won and forced her to do it so she is revenging on his disciples?
    And if I'm wrong, why then Ravel tried to help Lady to break Sigil chains?
    I feel something is missing from the story, maybe pointers to Torment 2?

4. Seric Exz Guest

Then again, wasn't it the Lady who mazed Ravel for trying to break the Sigil chains? (It doesn't sound like the Lady wishes to be freed from her cage?)

5. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, the Lady of Pain is supposed to remain an Enigma and thus a handy DM tool.

I thought that the Lady of Pain actually killed Aoskar, and now there are some within the Sign of One who actually want to revive the dead God.

Fell hasn't been mazed. He belongs to a Signer group called the Will of the One, devoted to this task.

I don't have all the Planescape modules, just a few, but it seems that the Lady vs Aoskar storyline is developed further in Harbinger House and Faction War (I think).

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I always assumed the title referred to the pain she inflicted upon those who annoyed her. Oh well, shows how little I know...

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31

A clue more. We all know that priests get their abilities from the higher source. If Aoskar is dead or mazed then who gave power to Aola for dealing Morridor's box?

8. Seric Exz Guest

In the game, you could force a tree to grow faster using willpower alone, which indicates that belief and willpower can work wonders, yes? If Aola is convinced he has powers, I don't see a reason why he shouldn't have powers.

This discussion tells me that I haven't got a mind clear enough to create a game like this... Bummer.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just one small thing... once you finish the game you'll see that his "dealing" with the Moridor's box demon wasn't all that good. Or in case you missed it, he only teleported the demon to Curst. Heh, that much for his awesome powers of devil banishing. ;)

10. Seric Exz Guest

It's kinda interesting, by the way, that if you open the box in Sigil instead of giving it to Aola, a rather uninteresting, evil little blob of a creature (that is as difficult to kill as a medium-sized fly) comes out instead of that huge Mother of a fiend. That pitiful sod Aola actually made things worse...
    (I assume this depends on your current level, though)

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

First of all monster's appearance in Sigil if you open the box doesn't depend on your level. Fiend is really different if box is dealt by Aola later in Curst Gone. But if you ask Aola to manage the box and you deal the fiend later, you'll collect besides money and XP one of ultimate items in the game: Aegis of Torment! So, Aola maybe made Morridor's fiend a bit more stronger, but also gave you a chance to get that damned ring! You call that bad idea Tal?

Ok, Aoskar's powers may be drawn from beliefs. But that still doesn't answer if he is dead, mazed or something else. And what bothers me in whole thing is his 'nick' - god of portals!

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 15, 2001).]

12. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just think that opening that box and letting out a wimp stops the hardest monster in the game from devastating sigil. Later on you *might* be able to defeat it.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Extremist, no of course not. It's a nice detour and Aegis definitely is a very cool item, but that was not the point I was making. The point is, Aola is not as powerful as he would make you think. He just knew a portal and key to Curst and dropped the box in it. Any berk could do that. ;)

As for Aoskar being the god of portals... You do know why the Lady of Pain actually mazed him? He wanted to open all the portals in Sigil to bring in vast armies from the Blood War and who knows what else. Can't have any of that, obviously.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 15, 2001).]

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Good point Tal, that clears my thoughts. Thanx.

15. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Eh, in defence of Aola, all demon banishing spells like Holy Word, Banishment, etc do is send the offending fiend back to it's home plane. Maybe bar it from entering your area again for a certain time period.

So you see, what Aola did was actually S.O.P.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Actually a good banishing would prevent the fiend to return for 100 (or was it 99) human years. Not to mention send it to its home plane, not just the doorstep of it. ;) ;)

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Guys, Aola is not real topic here. I mentioned him only as one clue source in a question if Aoskar is dead. So, please don't start fighting over Aola's alignment.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, alignment? Hmm, I'd say chaotic evil. What do you think Rakanishu?

ROTFL, Extremist, if we get into a discussion, don't bother to stop us. Move along, we'll continue this without you. ;)

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Aola said he sent it through four different portals, to spread it over four different planes so that it could never come back together, and then remarked that on at least one it would be eaten. Obviously that is not the case. Was he lying, or was he just deluded into thinking Aoskar had more power than he really had?

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Ok Tal, if you want war, count me in.

First, I don't think Aola is evil. Chaotic yes, but evil... I'd say he is neutral. But that doesn't matter because he's coward. He never leaves outside - not even to search for missing Aoskar disciples.

And Tal, what's that hard feelings? Why must your every comment sound like evil thought?
    I think, in fact I know, you are really good person. No, not only good, but so damned good that sometimes it is disgusting. You know that, I know that, everyone knows it, but you don't want us to know how good you are. And you are just trying to make us think you are evil. Dear Tal, you never made me think that. You can spit on us, curse us, kill us or do to us anything you want. Still, you'll remain good. So, why don't you get rid of that mask?
    This maybe is not important, but I researched meaning of colors. And color of your avatar also points your own good alignment.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 16, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.