1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aoskar

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Extremist, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Weeeel since Aoskar would be an evil god (at least I think he is), his priests would have to be too, don't you think? As for the missing Aoskar disciples... They've all been either killed or mazed, you won't find another one living in whole Sigil. At least not anywhere that the Lady of Pain could find them.

And erm, hard feelings? Notice the smiley behind my post? That should be clue enough as to what my intentions with it were. Of course I'm a good person. I never said otherwise, and you can check the What's your alignment topic... Chaotic good with evil tendencies sometimes. That's 100% true.

P.S.
    The color of the avatar has little to do with it. It's just that this sniggering dragon only comes in this color. :p

2. caleb Banned

I think the glabrezu you fight in curst gone is supposed to be the same one that the lady in curst wanted you to release cause I think it drops the heartgrinder(which it gives you when you summon it in curst) plus if you open the box then you only fight a little crap weasel of a demon thats easily killed.I dont think Aola would get powers just cause he believes Aoskar is alive so he must not have been killed and a god of portals couldnt have been trapped in a maze all this time when you yourself can escape the maze the lady puts you in so maybe he just got kicked out of sigil.

3. herf Guest

caleb-
    there are two gabrezus to fight in curst gone, the first one is the fiend form morridors box and it DOESNT drop heartgrinder, it drops the aegis of torment, the best ring in the game.
    the fiend that does drop heartgrinder is agril shanak, you have a choice of two times to fight it, either when you release it or you can definitely find it fighting with (cornugon from the dump undergound).

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just to spam if herf's note's not enough.
    The name of glabrezu you summoned in Curst is Agril-Shanak and glabrezu you meet in Curst Gone is simply called something like Moridor's-box-Fiend.
    When you kill glabrezu in Curst Gone to get Aegis of Torment, you'll still encounter Agril-Shanak later in Carceri.
    Agril-Shanak will have a fight against cornugon named Tek'elach there. That is the same cornugon you could find in Curst underground when searched for Trias.
    If you killed Tek'elach in Curst, Agril-Shanak will attack you in Carceri on sight.

So, we are actually talking about two different glabrezu fiends that arrived in Curst. Aola is guilty for one from cursed box. Dona Quisho is guilty for another one. And most guilty for both are you!

5. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Hmm, I don't think Aoskar is evil, but then again I don't know. The thing is, the Lady of Pain killed him because his influence in the City of Doors was too much, to the point that one of her dabus - Fell - began to worship him. Then she flayed him and cast his broken body to the Astral, and shattered his temples. His main temple still stands as ruins. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Aoskar is evil.

That one about opening portals to bring in fiends was actually one of the Immortal's incarnations.

As for Moridor's fiend, I don't know what it is. When I opened the box in Sigil a berserking Lemure popped out. Easy to kill. I expected the Fiend in Curst to be a Shator Gehreleth using the same Lemure model as a stand in. The fiend definitely wasn't a Glabrezu though, even though that model was used.

That bloody bugger. Immune to Lightning and Fire! But didn't find it too tough.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Rak, thanx.
    Tal tricked me into thinking that Aoskar is guilty for Lower Ward poisonous fumes.

So, Nameless' previous incarnation was portal buster.
    Then why the hell that Lady against Aoskar struggle happened?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Rak got me on that one. He's right, I did a little digging and this came up:

"The Shattered Temple used to be the headquarters of Aoskar, God of portals and doors. He was the unofficial patron of the planeswalkers and symbolised Sigil to many... so many that the one of the Lady's dabus took up the mantle of the priesthood of Aoskar. The wrath of The Lady was swift and quick that day. The temple of Aoskar and all buildings sufficiently near it were immediately decimated, and the once-great deity Aoskar was broken on the Lady's Blades and cast into the Astral plane to die slowly. Time passed, but nobody has forgot what happened to Aoskar. The Athar moved in several centuries later, seeing the temple as a sign that the 'powers' are far from unkillable. However, no other sane member of Sigil even goes into the area of the Shattered Temple: it remains taboo to open a shop or build there, for fear that The Lady would strike them dead for the actions of Aoskar so far in the past. Only the Athar travel there now. It is rumored that the ghosts of the priests of Aoskar still haunt the area, leaving the Athar alone because the massive disbelief that the Athar has for their very existance."

It was taken out of context, but you get the picture.
    As for the poisonous fumes; those have nothing to do with Aoskar at least. Berks have The Foundry to thank for that.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

No, Tal.

Fumes from opened portals are reason people left that area. And when Foundry was made, people started to get back.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Uhm, where did you get that from? Fumes from portals? There are no portals open anywhere all the time...

I thought you were referring to the problems people in the game keep pointing out they have in the wards... The foundry keeps pumping stuff in the air.

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

And the temple isn't in the lower ward. The background confirms what I thought from my brief encounter with Aola in the game. Aoskar is still alive (he protects Aola and can do the teleport thing), but severely weakened by the Lady of Pain (he can't protect anyone else and the teleport thing is rubbish).

11. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm sure there were more temples to Aoskar than just one...
    And seriously, Aoskar is considered dead and forgotten in Planescape. He can't protect anyone, not even himself from that er, uncomfortable position. Lady of Pain left some of the priests alive to watch them die, but that's it. Aola must be one of them.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 18, 2001).]

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31

That thingie about fumes you can learn from Korur, Sebastion and that sick gith woman on the street (I can't remember her name). The fumes came from lower planes thru the portals so people escaped.
    What's that got to do with the Foundry that was built later I haven't the slightest idea.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    What on Earth are you talking about? What portals? All those people are suffering from the fumes the Foundry in producing, for god's sake. They practically spell it out. Talk to the first Harmonium you see in the lower part of the map and he'll spell it out for you that "the fumes from the foundry are killing people in the Ward". So will everyone else.

"What's that got to do with the Foundry that was built later I haven't the slightest idea."

Yea, me neither. What's that supposed to mean? Here, a cut out from the map of Sigil: http://www.sorcerers.net/foundry.jpg
    Notice the billowing clouds of foul vapors so widely recognized they were put on the map? Now if that one doesn't convince you, I give up.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited April 18, 2001).]

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

This is what I'm talking about:

First Sebastion's story:
    This is the Lower Ward, cutter, home of the common people and the industrial side of Sigil. It's not the slums of the Hive, yet it holds no splendor such as the Lady's Ward. The rich say it's because this is the home of the common or *lower* classes. If you ask those who live here it's because of the portals... and the incident:
    "A long time ago this was known as the Prime Ward. People new to the city were placed here and not allowed access to all of Sigil. There were many other restrictions placed upon them as well... Some berk took offense to that and decided to form a rebellion. It went nowhere, of course, until he made a fascinating discovery...
    You see, there are a lot of portals in this area of the city and most of them open onto the Lower Planes. Well, that barmy berk found a way to open them all at once. He allowed *anything* that wanted to come through the portals into the city. It became quite bloody; a terrible war ensued. Anyway, that's why this is known as the *lower* ward. Because of the portals.

Second story:
    Korur:
    Nameless: "Are you feeling all right?"
    Korur: "Nothin' a few years o' death won't cure." He coughs and looks up. "Air's been getting worse in th' Ward o' late. By my reckon, it should level out once th' Great Foundry settles... or a wind blows through from the Spire."
    Nameless: "What is with the air here?"
    Korur: "It's mostly 'cause of all the portals." He has a coughing fit and then returns his attention to you. "
    Nameless: "What do you mean?"
    Korur: "Lots of doors to the Lower Planes here let'n in bad air an fumes an such from who knows what layer of the abyss. That's why this here's the *lower* ward." He laughs. "A jaunt through this area is like breathin' in a meal. Salt, smoke, pipeweed... it's all yellow-blankets of smoke and stinging sulfurous gas that this Ward spits out." He gives you a gap-toothed smile. "Pretty-pretty, hey?"

15. caleb Banned

Sebastion didnt say anything about the portals being the cause of the bad air.He only said the portals are the reason its called the lower ward.Korur said the air should get better when the FOUNDRY settles out not the portals so thank you for proving tals point for him.Anarchists also say it is because of the foundry.

16. caleb Banned

Ah but what do I know I am only a gibberling and you are a........smurf?

17. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Ack! That's funny, what I remember concurs with Extremist! I had better check again as I'm still playing PST.

As for Aola, hmmm. Well, the Athar do not believe in the gods and yet have clerical powers. Perhaps Aola tapped into the same source?

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Ehm, yes, in this case caleb is right. You went so far to prove your point Extremist that you missed you're making a point for me too actually, heh.

Your first story only proves the correction that was made before already; that one of your previous incarnations decided to open all the portals there.

Granted, you second story does prove that a bit of what you were saying holds true, but still:

"Air's been getting worse in th' Ward o' late. By my reckon, it should level out once th' Great Foundry settles... or a wind blows through from the Spire."

This is the major problem. Portals add to it, but the Foundry is the greatest problem.

19. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Heh heh, but if you put it that way it's only a matter of perspective.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

All of speech about bloody air I extracted from dialog.tlk file so why that suspicions?

1. First I repeat what Korur said coz you obviously missed to read this:
    Korur: "Lots of doors to the Lower Planes here let'n in bad air an fumes an such from who knows what layer of the abyss. That's why this here's the *lower* ward."

And more dialogs from others:

2. Ana'zi who dies poisoned by fumes:
    An'azi: She gestures weakly in the air above her. She points toward the Foundry, toward the trash, toward the coal heaps, and then at her chest. As if to emphasize her words, another fit of coughing wracks her and leaves her with bloodied lips.
    (She pointed Foundry - amongst other things. Maybe most of portalz are inside or around it? Or Foundry uses bad air for production?)

3. Lazlo in open-air market
    Nameless: "Why is it called the Lower Ward?"
    Lazlo: "Well, as it's reckoned, the ward's got a mess of portals ta the Lower Planes all riddled through it like cheese, so it does, so I s'pose that that's why the name stuck." He smiles proudly.
    Nameless: "Why are there so many Lower Plane portals here?"
    Lazlo: He shrugs. "It's a mystery ta me as it is ta you, cutter. Not sure if there is a reason fer the Portals as much as just circumstances. Could be the Lady's will, could just be chance, s'pose." He shrugs again.
    Nameless: "Do any creatures ever come out of these portals?"
    Lazlo: "Aye, I've seen it..." He pauses and swallows again. "T'was just last week or so, I saw a couple abishai come through a portal. They talked a good bit an' then one of em went back through. The one tha' stayed is still there..." He frowns.
    (OK, portals are active. Could it be true that besides monsters there is a bad air going thru them?)

Nameless: "Why does everyone seem to have yellow skin around here?"
    Lazlo: "It's the sickness, it is. Caused by the bad air. What with the smoke an all the fact'ry smogs, it can get pretty hard ta breathe easily 'round here." He shrugs. "Somedays, it's not good ta be out when the smogs linger too long... they can scald your eyes right out of the skull, so it's said."
    (Ok, there are smogs from Foundry, but Korur mentioned also some from portals!)

4. Hamrys the coffinmaker
    Hamrys: "Lower Ward..." He leans forward, as if explaining something to a small child. "...you know, it's little known to most newcomers and even people in the Ward: most people think that this Ward gets its name simply because it's not as prestigious as some of the other wards, but that's not it at all. Not at all. Do you know where the name comes from? Hmmm?" He looks at you expectantly.
    Nameless: "From all the Lower Plane portals?"
    Hamrys: He nods, though he seems a little disappointed that you know. "Yes, indeed. These portals to the Lower Planes are actually the reason for the smog in the skies here..." He glances upwards, as if imagining a sky above your heads. "...but I'm sure you are already aware of the conditions that plague this Ward."
    (Gotcha, Tal!)

5. I won't give this all, but Bedai Lihn who is Anarchists' member accuses Foundry for fumes (caleb doesn't lie ???). But doesn't she fill your head with that only to make you angry at Godsmen so you'll accept to help her in diversions against Godsmen?

And that's it.
    Seems that air pollution can be either Foundry's or portals' product. Or maybe even both. Who knows the truth? Lastly you need to hear this from Hamrys (if you tell him you don't know why the Ward is "lower"):
    "Fortunately, my Harmonium training has prepared me for all sorts of hazardous conditions, and after my travels to the Lower Planes, the smog of this Ward is little to bear, indeed...."
    So if Hamrys who is experienced in this stuff lies, then who speaks the truth?

That's my final judgment Tal, so I won't speak about fumes anymore.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 19, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.