1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Archmage Rises - Jokes and Performances

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Archmage Rises integrates jokes and performances into its world.

[​IMG]

In this update I show what I was able to accomplish this week despite being out of town for 3 days. The broader context of this piece is in having many realistic ways to interact with NPCs, and many ways to build or harm relationships. All this is within the pursuit of making lasting friendships that mean something over time.

If you are interested, here is the list of outstanding tasks for Build 11. It is still at 27.

This week's progress:
    1. Found and fixed a major fishing bug
    2. Put in fish images, one for each species of fish, and a special image for empty hook. Fish image size can now reflect the weight. It feels really good now.
    3. Spent a day refining the conversations code from last week. There were about 20 edge case scenarios that I had to sort through, write for, deal with. It's all feeling really good now.
    4. I've always intended to have "tell a joke" as a conversation option (its in the Sims). So I created a joke engine that will create a joke based on several premise algorithms.
    5. Jokes are generated at time of world generation and originate with certain people.
    6. The player can learn any joke by hearing it. If an NPC knows a joke they have a small chance of telling it to the player through a special prompt. NPCs won't tell jokes the player has already heard.
    7. The player can tell any joke they know to someone. Each NPC remembers which jokes they have heard before. Telling a joke utilizes the performance skill, which improves with each successful joke told.
    8. NPCs react to jokes based on success/failure to tell, and just their own sense of what is funny (this will be connected with personality in the future). So a successful joke can still not be funny to the hearer. Oh how i've experienced this too many times...
    9. In a future build: Players can use the Composition skill to craft new jokes. For now you just have to collect the ones in the game.
    10. Added the ability to insult an NPC. This will be utilized in the near future.
    • Something I've always intended was to allow the player to perform in an inn: music, poetry, singing, storytelling. I decided to see if I could use the gambling/conversation system to make a Stand Up comedy act. It didn't take me too long to do so. I'm not going to spend time putting in the other kinds, but now they are possible. All this is to fulfill the original design goal of being like Raistlin and friends supporting themselves by putting on shows at various inns along the shore of the sea of Istar.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.