1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Auction House

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 & 4' started by The Great Snook, Jul 10, 2012.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I haven't figured out how I feel about this.

As a positive, if they are going to improve what actually drops so that 99% of the drops are not useless, that would be a good thing.

As a negative, I have liked the safety and security of using the AH to upgrade my stuff. I have also loved when you find a good item that you don't need and watched it go up in value on the AH. My best was selling a ring for 50M gold

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Typical Accountant...:p

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah. Thanks heaps for perpetuating the stereotype, Snook. :p

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I will never understand why some people strive to be in the 99% :)

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Apparently they will remove the auction house from Diablo 3 with the upcoming expansion/DLC. Or patch it out of existance for those that don't get the DLC.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nothing that I have read so far about the expansion fills me with the urge to get the game. Particularly when buying it would mean having to buy both the base game and the expansion, and that would be an $80 US hit (closer to $90 Canadian, and over $100 after taxes). That's just a tad higher than my self-imposed limit of $5 per game. :)

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm still buried in tax season so I haven't bought the expansion yet. My son has and it has rekindled his love of the game. He has been playing with a lot of buddies almost nonstop.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't gotten it. I'm in no rush to do so. Not even sure that I will.

My previous D3 experience sort of soured me on the series. It has a lot of redeeming qualities, but I wish they had followed the Diablo 2 formula a bit more closely. I realize that they've moved closer to that since (removing auction house, adjusting loot, etc.), but, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

And what's more, my son is much more interested in Minecraft these days, so it's not likely he'd want to take time to play with me even if I did have it.

I guess I'm just not super psyched on Blizzard anymore. I didn't even bother to get the second StarCraft 2 title. I prefer playing Terrans to Zerg, and terrans were covered in the first title.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Zerg storylines are generally pretty depressing to me. I'm sure the Protons (sp?) story will end the story with another pyrric victory. Blizzard stories tend to be predictable and depressing that way.

10. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For me Starcraft just really isn't 3 games, and I couldn't care less about the new units that are added to existing factions (felt like I had a good number of units already). I couldn't really see myself buying a game just to play the Zerg (which as a hardcore turtler by nature, just doesn't appeal to me very much), and the same will likely hold true for the Protoss, though they fit somewhere nicely inbetween the Terrans and Zergs in terms of their offensive/defensive prowess.

And what's more, when it come to strategy games I'm much more inclined towards series' like Total War, Paradox Titles (e.g. Crusader Kings 2, Victoria 2, HoI3) or more turn based style games.

I enjoyed the heck out of the first Starcraft 2 title, but it's a style of gaming that I'm becoming less and less interested in. Starcraft is more of the get in and kill your opponent as quickly as possible type game. I prefer to slowly build up my empire over a long campaign rather than playing a bunch of small skirmishes that are over in 10 - 20 minutes tops.

11. henkie

Media:
    I still love some RTS from time to time, just as I still love to play M2:TW from time to time. Starcraft just was never quite as fun to me as any of the earlier C&C games. Nowadays I still find Red Alert 2 and Supreme Commander to be the best RTSs that I've played.

The gameplay in Starcraft, the limitation on the number of troops you can build, the frankly annoying storyline where first you fight for good, then you fight for bad, then you fight a losing battle until you finally win a pyrric victory (for Starcraft: Terran, Zerg, Protoss, in that order - for Warcraft: Humans, Undead, Night Elf (Orcs just kind of try to flee the mayhem) - rinse and repeat for the expansions).

Also I'm not very good at RTS, I like to turtle, to have a strong base defense and win from that kind of strong position. It's a pretty bad tactic for online, but I don't play online so it's ok. However, for Star/Warcraft, the unit limit makes this impossible offline as well. I just don't like that kind of limitation.

12. Splunge

Media:
    At least when I went off-topic from the thread title, I was still talking about Diablo 3! :p

Edit: Although these days, I guess off-topic posting is better than none. :D

13. Marceror

Media:
    Wait, what were we talking about again?!?

14. henkie

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.