1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Avernum 2: Crystal Souls - A Worthy RPG

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, May 10, 2017.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Avernum 2:Crystal Souls is a worthy RPG according to 5 minute gaming.

https://www.facebook.com/5-Minute-Gam...

Rating 8.1/10

I purchased this game off of G2A.com for $1.15 and I have played it for about 6 hours now in the last 2 days. What I have discovered is a really fun game that indeed hits that old school mark for an in depth RPG with lots of options, decent writing and somewhere near 50 hours of gameplay. That's right. 50 hrs of GOOD gameplay for under $2. And if you're like me and you enjoy this game, the Indie producer Jeff Vogel at Spiderweb Software has produced a whole host of these games with his in house engine.

My party of 4 characters consists of an archer, a priest, a thief, and a fighter. I have a mix of the available races including humans and as well as a feline and lizard companion. Combat is turned based and each of your characters has a set amount of action points per turn. On your turn you may move, attack with a melee weapon, use a ranged weapon, Perform an action like using an item or a special move, as well as casting any spells. Now I didn't take a wizard in my party, but I do have that priest and she is continually casting wards and healing spells.

When you are not in battle, the tunnels and caverns are only uncovered as your party enters them, making for some surprising encounters along the way. This particular cave system is 2 levels deep, and I spent about 2 hours exploring all of the nooks and crannies before encountering the main chieftain. I also had to run back to town once to resupply my guys and bring back one of my party that had been knocked unconscious.

There are quests to be gathered aside from the main story and the writing has been excellent thus far. Once I bring this chieftain's head back to town, I will be richly rewarded...I hope.

When you do reach enough experience to level your characters, I found the system to be deep enough to individualize my party. The first thing you can do is bump up one of their main stats such as strength or dexterity, which will help with evasion rolls and the amount of damage you are doing, and then you actually get into the skill tree where you can choose from melee skills, acrobatic skills, ranged skills and a whole host of options in between. You can't just randomly pick all over the skill tree though as a base skill in one area allows you to pick a connected skill, but the latest choice you make can never be higher than the base skill - you can also only bump up each option once per level so no dumping 3 points into your polearm skill during one level up. The last tab, the traits tab allows you to take special skills or bump up your base skillset again. You can take things like Quick learning to get faster XP, Deadeye which will improve your ranged abilities or even something like Improved dexterity, which will bump up your base dex by a +1 - so in essence this level you may have been able to increase your Dexterity by a total of 2- which can be handy.

In conclusion I am going to recommend this game to anyone that likes an old school RPG. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are good enough, and the interface is a heck of a lot nicer than the old games from the 90's. Mr Vogel has no doubt spent thousands of hours crafting these games for us, and his love of the genre shines through. So check out Mr. Vogel's games and support him. I can tell from this game alone that He does have our best RPG interests at heart.​

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.