1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 2 Mod Editor Sought

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm looking for a more or less full-time editor responsible for updating and maintaining the SP list of Baldur's Gate 2 mods. The mod editor would initially be responsible for adding all the BG2 mods not listed on SP yet, including all of the details and descriptions. Once the list is finalized, the mod editor will be responsible for keeping it up to date by regularly adding newly released mods to the list, and updating the existing entries if necessary.

The requirements to apply for this job are:

- basic html skills
    - interest in the modding scene
    - preparedness for a commitment to a long-term project (1 year minimum)
    - good writing skills
    - the ability to put regular effort into your work without having to be assigned deadlines (or, in the case of deadlines, being able to meet them)

The benefits of this job are:

- full staff member status with all the perks and benefits if you prove yourself
    - an SPS account for as long as you remain the mod editor

---

I need to emphasize strongly that none of the benefits will start rolling in until the brunt of the work (updating what's already on SP) is already done, so if anyone is looking for easy gain with little work invested, please don't bother applying.

If, however, you have plenty of time and genuine interest (along with everything else listed above) to dedicate to this project, send me a PM with a short description of why you believe that you would be suitable for this job.

If there are any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Do you mean this page? http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_mods.php

I'll point out there exists a fairly comprehensive list of mods already (for all Infinity Engine games, not just BG2) which contains links and brief descriptions for mods, tools, and other resources--the PPG Modlist. Most other online communities keep it linked as a sticky thread. http://modlist.pocketplane.net

It doesn't seem like much point to duplicate work and have your own list, when there's already an all-encompassing one out there. :) I notice your page mentions this list already, at the bottom. It might make more sense if it were higher up, and mentioned directly in the links threads posted at the tops of fora.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll point out that practically all mods for all the other games covered on SP are already listed in their game's respective mods sections on SP.

And that the PPG mod list has always been stickied here; in the ToB forum for the last few months.

And that the mod lists on SP have been around for years before the PPG one, and that when I said the same thing about the redundancy of making another one (the PPG one), PPG didn't seem bothered about their own redundance... I told jc (IIRC) back then that I'd be happy to let him update the ones on SP, but he didn't seem interested. Funny, that...

So SP isn't duplicating anything; quite the reverse. All our mod descriptions to date are our own (i.e. not taken from the PPG list), and our mod lists have been around for years before the PPG one. And where the PPG mod descriptions are usually a line or two, we make the effort of compiling a bit longer descriptions. So I'm only looking for a person to update and expand our BG2 mod lists, where the plethora of mods pretty much requires a full time person to keep things up to date. Everything else around here is pretty much up to date (and if anything's missing, feel free to PM me and I'll add it).

[ April 01, 2006, 01:04: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was about to post that I usually use Pocket Plane's for BG2 because I could never find anything in SP's section (it was a disorganized mess). Then I thought I should take another look at SP's list and found it to be much improved.

Think I'll use SP's from now on. :)

5. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks, the reorganization along with updates should bring everything in the BG2 mods section back on track pretty soon.

6. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Would the editor have free reign to alter the layout of the mod section, or would he/she be required to adhere to the existing categorization? (SP-hosted mods listed at the top, separate listing of mods over 15MB, etc.)

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, if it made sense to change something, I don't see why not. But I think it makes logical sense to have what's actually hosted or mirrored and downloadable from SP on top of the list (not that the list of categories is that long anyway). And the separate listing of bigger mods is another thing that I feel makes sense, because it's useful for people on dial-up.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That was the best mod ever. One it's great features was that it was bug-free and the download time was the same whether you were on dial-up or broadband.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.