1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3...it's official (almost)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Late-Night Thinker, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

you got that right. Dark alliance... I had more of a roleplaying experience playing Diablo1.

2. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Dark Alliance...nnnoooOOOOOOoooo...why did they do it Boo? WHY!?!?

I'm definately looking forward to a completly fresh story that has little relation to the characters in bg1+2 but is still based on the sword cost etc.

Will the game be using the same ruleset from bg2? Are they allowing you to use your character from bg2 too? I can tell I'm going to get as impatient with this as I am with FO3 and NWN2...grrrr

3. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm afraid of this BG3. Atari always uses henchmen.

The beauty of BG1 and BG2 is that you have a party of different characters with different attitudes and goals, you control them and it works like a charm. None of that NWN bull***t where my henchmen ALWAYS do the wrong thing. :mad:

So, BG# should...

Have the option of that BG2 look, so you have better view of where your party's standing.

Have a party in the first place, like BG2, with their own quests and goals.

Be non-linear, so you can explore all you want.

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I haven't looked too much into this, but is there a chance this is actually going to be Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3?

Someone please show me something that says it's not!!!

5. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I certainly don't hope they use 3,5 edition if it's a prequel of the BG-saga, because they reason Bhaal made so much offspring is because he knew he would die in the Time of Troubles, which in turn was the conversionpoint of 1st edition to 2nd edition. 3rd happens even later then that.

And personally I play AD&D 2nd edition and hate 3rd. I have no intention of having to plan all of the feats of the character from the start or choose from a million races or subraces and billions of prestige classes.

I would probably buy it after having read good reviews of it, but if any of them say it doesn't capture the charm of BG1&2 I won't. I don't want to have my memories of the best game ever ruined by a badly made sequel.

6. Wordsmith Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey guys, I'm very new to the message board but this place has been very helpful to me since I have just recently started playing Baldur's Gate 2 again. I blew the dust off the CD and installed this game, and I'm still just as caught up with it as I was back when I played it for the first time four years ago. I never got to finish the game (stopped at chapter 9) but I've restarted the game from the start with SK and a couple of mods to make up for all those lost hours of playtime (hey, it's still fair, at least IMO ! :) ) And this site has been so helpful and has opened up my game options a lot wider: I downloaded the Solaufin mod and look forward to that tough battle, and I got a couple of voice packs to make the game more enjoyable for me personally (Skie and Xan voice sets!). Thanks guys, for keeping this site so well polished and teeming with goodies that I can plunder, thanks for all of the inputs!

Moving on to the future, I am very much looking forward to Baldur's Gate III, if it will ever be. I think personally that the lack of single-player traditional RPGs in the market is due in large part to the widespread dominance of MMPRPGS in role-playing world. I mean, if you take a look at gamespot.com, at least 8 of the top 10 anticipated role-playing games are massive-world types. I heard that massive-world are very addictive and fun, but since I think spending $20 a month to play a game is a tad wasteful, I prefer to stick with traditional RPGs. Unfortunately, most major game companies don't share this view since massive-world is much more profitable for them. Talk about a rock and a hard place!

I also agree with all of you that say that TOEE and NWN wasn't quite the game to beat BGII. TOEE was beautifully rendered, but with slow scroll rates, low XP cap, and turn-based fighting, it was just a travesty. Even with the huge bug fix, I never got into the game. And strict party-alingments? That was just the nail in the coffin. NWN was such a lackluster looking game compared to BGII. The environments were always dark and similar in appearance, and your character was completely lifeless. You knew that you were playing a video game instead of being immersed in the world. And a henchmen instead of a party of adventurers? For shame.

I think my last hope for a good, semi-traditional RPG is in Vampire: The Masquerade, Bloodlines. But with the Half-Life 2 delay and the big ambitions of the game, I'm thinking I might be let down yet again. :(

My question is, why can't developers make a fully 3-D video game with RPG elements? This might sound ridiculous, but I think combining the graphics of Max Payne 2 (I chose this game because it moves very fast and still looks beautiful even with old graphic cards) and the deep RPGing of BGII. Just my personal pipe dream.

Well, thanks for listening to me.

"Onward!.. to our doom."--Xan

7. Aldur Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, considering that Baldur's Gate 2 and ToB was probably one of the best games I have ever played in my life, I would have high hopes and expectations for Baldur's Gate 3, which is what I shouldn't be doing therefore if BG 3 turns out to be bad, I won't be as dissapointed ;P

On the other hand, Neverwinter Nights appealed to me only because it was based on the same idea of the BG series and I turned out seriously unamused. I mean, WHERE ARE THE SHAPESHIFTERS!?! Now I know they are in the 2nd expansion pack but I couldn't be bothered getting it after I got the first one.

I would've also thought that if BG 3 came out, it would present quests for you to complete based on your final choice in ToB (I became the Lord of Murder, Muwhahaha!) but will probably turn out to be a dissapointment like NWN.

BTW, I'm back :) !

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, an example of a 3D rpg that is still very immersive is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Eventhough it uses large portions of the nwn engine, it shows it doesn't have to be as bleak and unimmersive and can actually have great decors to play in. And eventhough it used some henchman system, that one somehow didn't suck, although it doesn't replace a good turning off of the party ai (which I always did in BG and the like). The biggest problem with henchmen is that spellcasters are too strategical to be left on automated.

9. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Oh ,men, I need chance my underwear. I really love BG series, and BG3 will be a obligate purchase.

10. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

When is the rumored released date?

Also I actually like the NWN henchmen thing because it did give the party members more personality and so on.

11. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Y'know...considering what is being said about this game by Atari, I'm not very sure I'm going to be that eager to play it. Most important fact to be kept in mind here, is that the guys who made the first two games and the expansion have quit...which means someone else is going to be making this game, which means...its going to be...different.

Might be better, might be worse...but will definitely be different. And that distinctive flavour BG2 had, will be gone.

On the other hand, Dragon Age is being touted as the spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, and I must say...the way ToB ended, there was a proper sense of closure to the story, and I'm frankly more excited by DA than BG3.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    BioWare made all Baldur's Gate games, not BIS.

13. Hero_Braveheart Gems: 1/31

i think that since the end of ToB was choose to find your own way or become a god, that this game will be finding your own way. I've no idea what the level cap will be like but i hope you get to go in and around baldur's gate, that would be kool. in 3d could be ok but wouldn't be right with BG, as it wouldn't seem right if it was D+D 3E rules.
    ah well i hope it doesn't suck.
    theres my view

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Tal: I was talking about the people who were on the development team...not the company.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Considering very few people have left BioWare (and no important ones who worked on the BG games that I know of), it makes even less sense then. So what WERE you trying to say?

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well...it was to my understanding, that the people working on the Jefferson Project aka Baldurs Gate 3 a few months ago, were disbanded along with BIS shutting down.

The people who had been working on the Jefferson Project, have quit, and Bioware is developing BG3 with another team of developers. That is what I was trying to say. Though I think I might be a bit confused about the whole thing.

Pay me no mind :p

17. Taluntain

Media:
    BG3 was being made at BIS, yes, but the project died along with BIS & Interplay. Whoever is working on BG3 now (BioWare themselves would be very unlikely, considering the other games on their plate) is starting from scratch again.

18. meuble Gems: 1/31

But ... Sadly, BG1&2 weren't total pieces of junk, so the case don't apply :p
    I'm also scared the hell out with a BG3 without Ie :(
    But, as say before, money rule the world (too bad). As long as they don't try to make a Planescape 2 without me on the team I'll be fine.
    And by the way, hello everyone =)

19. Sir Goulum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I can safely say that Bioware ain't making BGIII. Also, I can safely say that Jade Empire should come out soon, since my neighbor is donning a Jade Empire t-shirt. :D

20. Taluntain

Media:
    We know BioWare isn't making it, we've posted about it in the news a few days ago. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.