1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3...it's official (almost)

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Late-Night Thinker, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I thought I heard that Atari had their grubby little mitts all over BGIII

2. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Atari got the nod from Wizards of the Coast to produce AD&D games from their campaigns and the classics. BG is an origianl creation from BioWare.

We can expect to see Atari make several new and recycled adventures, but none of them will look or fell like BG or IWD. They will look and feel like Pool of Rad and Temple of El Evil. Not bad games, just not as popular either.

3. L. Westerlund Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I personally don't believe they can come up with a storyline like the earlier games. The story of the Bhaalspawn was put to an end in ToB. It was a damn good one, and they should leave it be now.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't get it anymore. Is it being made by someone ar are we just dreaming? If you do not know for sure do not react.

5. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

ok, is it still in development now? Sorry, but I'm still in the previous phase: denial. I can't accept it's not being made. I want it...

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Any real information would be helpful, or just a concise recap of what we know to date.

7. HaleyF Gems: 1/31

Here's how I feel about BG3.

I personally feel that the original BG saga is the best video game, computer game, or any other game at all that has fallen into my hands. I am even in the process of saving up $$$ to buy a computer for the sole purpose of playing those games again.

Although the idea of a BG3 intrigues me, I don't think they could pull off a prequel or sequel very well. The overall quality of the game from the first BG just can't be beat. For my personal tastes, if a BG3 were to come out, I would like to have the original saga upgraded. A new game, but same characters, same story, some plot etc. I would just ask for better graphics, gameplay, more items/spells/monsters/classes/races/a few NPCs... I don't think anything about the story needs to be changed or added to any way, in fact I think it would be distasteful to do so. I just love the games so much that all I would want is MORE of what they already have. Maybe a few more areas or subplots, ya know, more hours of gameplay and such.

To sum up: I think BG is the best game that exists. If a BG3 comes out, I think it should be the same as the original BG1, only upgraded to be what more modern computers can make it to be.

Cheers to my favourite game of all time.

p.s. Any estimates as to when and if a BG3 is coming out?

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    While I think an updated BG series has potential, I think an updated Fallout series has much more potential and would easily replace BG as the greatest of all time. As far as I can see, the party system is the only advantage BG has over Fallout.

My point being that an 'upgraded' BG wouldn't be that much of an improvement. BG is pretty much the standard for many aspects of game play and the recent experiments by gaming companies have not proven terribly fruitful.

On that note, also realise that, while many sequals/prequals are crap, BG 2 was a sequal, as was Fallout 2. The potential of a sequal to awe and impress and overall be good is entirely dependant on who makes it. If an organized, professional team of die-hard BG fans were to make BG 3, the results would be pure gold.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Let's face it, folks - we've been kickin' this thread around for nearly 2 years now. BGIII ain't happening. :o

At this point, as far as I'm concerned, I'm relegating the possibility of a Baldur's Gate III to the dustbin on history. Whoever's been in charge of the licensing for the last few years is obviously incapable of formulating a decent business strategy. A new Baldur's Gate RPG game would be a slam-dunk for any publisher, they just need to put the damn thing out. If development on it were really happening, we would have seen some kind of screenshot or whatever by now to generate buzz. But nothing. The series is dead. As much as I wish it weren't so, I'm afraid it is. I hope I'm wrong.

/me goes off to play "Amazing Graze" on the kazoo, remembering the BG series fondly :(

10. Caldera Gems: 1/31

^

What Death Rabbit said is absolutely what I believe is true also. I could not have said it better myself. I wish he was wrong (as does he) but, no news, no screenshots, not even "we are still making it but it's taking a long time".

We need to face it . . . it's gone.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nonsense. It's just a matter of time. One way or another, it will get made. Atari's not going to let such a hot licence go to waste. You'll probably start hearing about BG3 again after NWN2's release.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Slowly more and more people play RPG at some form or an other. WoW will add more as will the game that will get released. Remeber that shooter, doom. They made a part two and placed it on the shelves. times changed. Suddenly doom 3 was made. ToeE was a flop because only 3.5 ed players could understand it and that mkes a company like atari to back off. BG3 will come after they have decided what to do whit the liscense. Maybe Atari will sell it or go bankrupt.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

ToEE was a flop because the game was ridiculously cut, unfinished and boring. The rules are still the best part of it.

NWN 2 will also feature the 3.5e ruleset.

14. Merlanni

Media:
    That too, but as I said the 3.5 ruleset is to much to chew for many players. NWN did the right thing to make it playable for the masses.(Yes at some points it was to easy)

It is essential to adapt the ruleset for PC. Also for bg3.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh well - maybe I'm just being a Negative Nancy. I still cling to my prediction, though, and will gladly eat crow if wrong. Crow mercilessly slaughtered by the Flail of Ages,that is.

16. HaleyF Gems: 1/31

Pardon my ignorance, but I keep hearing about 3.5e and 1e etc. I know it means the engine, but what are the differences between them?

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually, it means the rules used. The 3.5 edition D&D rules is the latest version.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's also possible it's going to be sold to someone else. Read this news post and you'll see Atari is in serious trouble.

19. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Sounds like good news for gamers everywhere! Down with Atari! Atari is the devil! :evil:
    I couldn't resist, but does anyone show interest in BG 3? As has been previously stated, that will be a tall order to fill. I would understand if companies were a little leery about buying the rights to such a game.

20. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

well, bg3 is almost certainly in the proverbial toilet... however, i'm looking forward to fallout 3. i'm curious to see how bethsoft will handle it. they say they're all fallout fans, so hopefully the spirit will live on. hey, maybe even NWN2 or Dragon Age will be good.

but you know what? i really miss black isle. it was their team that put that indefinable sense of fun and awe into the originals.

oh, and on a parting note, toee really was awful. but i LOVED grappling!! i used to travel around to marshy areas just to struggle with giant frog tongues! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.