1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 3 Rumours

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Slappy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There has alredy been an official denial of the rumour that BG3 is currently in development. But then, of course, it came from a PR guy and PR people are in my experience the biggest and most incompetent idiots in every company. With a few exceptions that I know myself, of course. But really, very, very, few. And none at Atari.

Still, BG3 will happen, it's just a matter of time.

3. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Isn't that project often refered to as "Project Jefferson" or am I really really lost?

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope...there you are! :wave: That's correct. And "Van Buren" is Fallout 3. Fun fun.

5. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

How is it that this information comes to light anyway, I imagine security is pretty tight and development teams seem to be closely knit as a rule. I'm into paranormal stuff and I know that sometimes "secrets" tend to be made up for many reasons.

6. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Maybe the story didn't leak out at all but someone on the internet thought he'd start a rumour and see how many people believed him... ;)

Still, we can all hope.

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ummm ... what's left to do? My character is a god. He shooks Bolts of Glory out his fingertips almost at will.

Epic levels where we take out other dieties?

Fighting yet another rival/Baal-spawn?

I loved the first 2 games and expansions ... but how can you call it Baldur's Gate without keeping at least some plot continuity???

8. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Easy, new character, same location.
    It would be insane to continue the child of Bhaal saga unless he loses all his power and starts at level 1. Even so, the idea is a little whacky.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I hope not, there is nothing else that can be done with the BG series short of screwing it up.

10. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It is called "Baldur's Gate", right? So it must be in or near Baldur's Gate.

Now as for the character, it is the best, for the plot's sake, to create another character(not to continue with the Bhaalspawn), consequently there are more options for the plot of the game.

And now the Bhaalspawn is god/epic level, I think it goes too far to continue with the Bhaalspawn story and play at epic level.

That's all IMHO.

[ June 18, 2003, 09:18: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

11. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmm... the general feeling here on the boards seems to be that continuing with the plot would be a grave mistake, as it would be impossible to do effectively; however, I'm sure the main thing people here are looking for is a game of the same quality and size (in single player mode) that was evident in the first two games in the BG series.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Let's assume they don't nerf your character down to level one. Let's assume that they would continue where ToB left off.

If the idea of the game is that you are now a god. You rose to your power only a few years ago, but you have learned quickly and have a powerful position amongst the other gods. Whatever the plot would be, I've no idea. But it could include some sort of god-level plot of some great coming catastrophe of god-wars or something suchlike, even Ao couldn't/wouldn't stop. Or then, make the plot something less "concerning-the-fate-of-all-the-universe", basically making you as the main character an immortal omnipower trying to affect some changes on the mortal realm of Faerun. Still, now it wouldn't be about your survival, but the survival of your previous companions for example, or an entire country, or Faerun entirely. For evil characters, this same path could be given with the pretense that in the end you would gain even greater power relative to other gods. Remember that the gods of Forgotten Realms are not omnipotent as the christian God in our world is supposed to be. They are extremely powerful, but quite mortal in their own ways. And they're all personalities, much like normal humans taken to new dimensions. This allows for equally much relationship-managing with your new god-character as with the mortal old one.

Making it Baldur's Gate 3 in the same fashion as BG1&2 is really impossible. But using a new engine to make it a sort of strategy:ish rpg where your role was to govern over a wider area than before, and grant your powers to some of your champions fighting your fights on the ground (previous friends), and even appear as your avatar from time to time to really make your enemies run, could be worth the idea. Or then someone could just force you to remain in your avatar, making you unable to return to your godly realm until you had found a way to circumvent their power.

Now I know what I'm saying is ludicrous. But done properly, an rpg of you being a god, could actually be very interesting. Especially since BG has the obviously needed background to offer (this type of a game is no longer about gaining new power, as much as it is of pure dialogue, memorisings, discovering new things about your old companions etc). Like I said, this would be a huge leap from what BG1&2 were, and could really be named completely differently from these two games. But I see no reason why BG wouldn't act as a good name for such a title. First part: you started your life, found out about your god-blood. Second part: you fought your life, ascended to your god-hood. Third part: you started your life as a god, and made your final home in your own realms.

I still believe BG3 will be a flop. But my work's a bore at the moment so I decided to share that idea with you.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Like BG2 and ToB, right? :rolleyes:

For the last time, BG3 WILL NOT BE A CONTINUATION OF THE BHAALSPAWN SAGA. The Bhaalspawn saga was FINISHED with ToB FOREVER. I've repeated this in every single BG3 topic thus far but people are still coming up with this ludicrous idea of the continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga. The developers of the BG series themselves said it is OVER. And that if any continuation was made it wouldn't have anything to do with the Bhaalspawn. Now please, remember this already for the next BG3 post! :rolleyes:

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] So...You're saying B3 won't be a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga?

How about SoA 2: Gateway to Maztica? Or is it CHult? I can never remember. It would be fun to have some sea/ocean adventures.

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Sorry, I'm a bit thick headed sometimes ... just ask my wife.

Here's my point. I know that the Baldur's Gate name has good marketing value. But I have issue using the marketing of the BG name without any connection to the BG story.

IWD & IWD2 had no story in common, but shared the same pathos.

BG1, BG2 and BG3 ... what would be the connection? Not the Infinity Engine I'm sure. I know ... marketing wins over authenticity, but why not market it with "In the Spirit of Baldur's Gate, we bring you MATHETAIS GATE (or some new name). ;)

16. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tal, you misunderstood me
    I didn't mean that it might be in/near Baldur's Gate. I meant that it must be near/in Baldur's Gate(they have to for the title's sake)

17. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Alexander, errr :confused: BG2 and Tob were nowhere near Baldur's Gate, this is what Tal is saying. I really have no idea what you meant, except possibly that they must be 'near' as in near the style of the other games?

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Slappy ... see what you did?? ;)

I'm sure he's giggling at us right now over at bioware's HQ or something ;) :lol:

19. Taluntain

Media:
    LOL. Luckily Bonzo got my point. I was starting to worry.

Mat, the Baldur's Gate name has already been (ab)used for 2 (or is it 3, 4?) console hack & slash games that have nothing to do with the Bhaalspawn saga. So get used to the idea. The name sells, so it will be used. It's one of the most primary marketing strategies of the 20th/21st century. It's all about the name recognition. Actual content is secondary.

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

:yot:

:idea: Just think how well Torment would have sold (even with the same appalling advertising) if it had been called something along the lines of - "Baldur's Gate ™: Planescape: Torment" with (in very, very small writing) 'Not a Baldur's Gate ™ Game'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.