1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate: EE - Barred from Sale, BG II: EE Delayed

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Jun 20, 2013.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Well it's with sad news I bring word of an official statement posted on the Baldur's Gate website.

Trent Oster explains that due to legal problems surrounding the Baldur's Gate license, and with the publisher Atari, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition may no longer be purchased from the Apple App Store, or the Beamdog game service.

Also this means that the release of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and patches for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition have both been delayed indefinitely.

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
    Trent Oster
    President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's....very disconcerting....

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    GOG has a sale ... click on the link at the top of page ... BG1 Complete ... BG2 Complete ... get EasyTutu ... you're all set.

Just sayin'.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Heh. That won't work if you want to play on your iOS or Android device :)

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Bizarre that all the parties got to well beyond the initial release stage before deciding there was some problem. :bad:

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    At this point I can only imagine it has to do with money, and who gets how much of what.

8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What contractual issues can turn up so late after release?
    It's not like some lawyer found some random bit of code or art to copyright. Or is it?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Like I said: I'd imagine it's money.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Who knows...Beamdog had agreed to only create new content and improve graphics, not change the original content. Maybe there is an issue there, as their patches/updates have added more content, not just fixed bugs. Like I said, who knows....

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm with BTA on this... Atari smelled money to be made by being a pest and since that's one of their few "talents", here we are.

12. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just one more reason to hate Atari... not like I needed another one.

Serious, hardcore facepalm on this one! Oh, and this: :bang:

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Atari ... grrrr... :nolike: ...

[​IMG]

14. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Does anyone know what the issue is specifically? The general money answer is kind of obvious (why else would anyone cause a fuss?), but what I don't get is that in order for this project to have taken off at all, contracts with all interested parties would have had to have been finalized long ago. You can't just say "No, I don't like the contract anymore" and back out of it, so someone must be getting sued. Who? Why? For what exactly?

15. Blades of Vanatar

Actually, you can. It happens all of the time between big businesses. It's not so much of threatening to pull all of the way out, it's more like taking a different stance/changing your stance with a different interpretation all of the sudden on some of the wording. I see it big time in the Aerospace industry. The big guys, escpecially when they are the "Customer" really like to play hard ball about not paying in full. They ask for more and more and give you less and less in return. Who's the bigger company in this issue? Answer that and you'll find your culprit.

Gaear likes this.
  16. Myrkul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is pretty infuriating, and here I was hoping they would allow BeamDog to change more in BG2 instead of just adding their own content. Hopefully this all gets resolved quickly so they can go back to working on BG2:EE

17. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I didn't think BG:EE was such a money-making project that it warranted this kind of interference from Atari (if our assumption about evil Atari is concrete).

Oh well.

18. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My guess is Beamdog is perhaps asking for more money, or advances, due to the fact that development is taking a lot longer than originally expected. They have made comments in the past about how, as a small development shop, any delay in their schedule is painful. Perhaps they have run into major issues with the Android version, haven't received full payment, and just can't keep going without some additional influx of funds. And Atari is telling them, too bad. Your contract states x, y and z and so we don't have to pay you another red cent. Or perhaps Atari has decided they just aren't happy with the way things are going, and are trying to pull out.

I'm totally just spit balling here, of course. Regardless, this doesn't appear to bode well for BG2:EE, much less BG3.

I'm just grateful for new IPs (Project Eternity, Torment ToN) that aren't tied to D&D/Atari. Never much liked Atari. Used to love D&D CRPGs. Now I think both are pretty much a total waste of time and space.

19. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Got my copy at Steam.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blasphemy! "Kneel and Repent!"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.