1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bane's 6 dead minions battle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Artas1984, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I killed them without too much struggle, even though the battle was tough, i was disappointed that my sorcerer could not do much about them, so i had to melee them most, which is a bit disappointing having in mind that my sorcerer killed Chapotek and Thoraskus. I'd like to replay the battle but need advice on how to manage the spells. Which of those 6 would be most susceptible to spells?

I sure as hell know i am not casting on the monk and that half-demon half-giant spawn.

2. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:

I took some time to dig through all 6 of the lost followers and give you all the stats - i did my best trying to format it so you can see what will and won't work on whom, but it's still a pretty big wall of text.

First off, you should know that they are all equipped with items that give them the following effects :
    Immunity to panic, poison, sleep, petrification, confusion, berserk, charm, paralysis, slaying effects, stun, blindness, silence, slow, feeblemindedness, disease, deafness, intoxication, nausea, enfeeblement, bleeding, energy drain, and death magic, as well as debilitating AoE effects like grease, entangle and web.

They are also granted immunity to specific spells, namely : vampiric touch, Emotion : Rage, Emotion : Hopelessness, Emotion : Despair, Finger of Death, Mental domination, Wail of the banshee, Flaying, Bless, Bane and Chant.
    This means that you're pretty much left with your damaging spells, and a lot of these guys have very high resistances to either magical damage all together, or to specific elements.

Inhein-Who-Was-Taken - Lvl 24 Cleric.
    10 STR/20 DEX/10 CON/30 INT/20 WIS/9 CHA
    Saves - 14 Fortitude/ 8 Reflex / 14 Will.
    Resistances - 0 Fire/100 Cold/20 Electrical/0 Acid/10 Spell/0 Slashing/0 Bludgeoning/-5 Piercing/0 Missile/0 Magic Damage.
    Permanent Detect Invisibility by virtue of an item.
    Spells Known : Draw Upon Holy Might, Hold Person, Animate Dead, Circle of Blades, Divine Shell, Blasphemy, Symbol of Hopelessness, Tremor.

Should be targetable with spells by virtue of her relatively low saves, though still very resistant to electrical damage and immune to cold.
    Worth taking out first because of her damaging flame strike/death spells and the animated dead she summons.
    Seems to be less resistant to piercing damage then to bludgeoning/slashing, but will take damage from all 3 types of damage.

Broken Khree - Lvl 20 Monk.
    18 STR/20 DEX/18 CON/12 INT/10 WIS/10 CHA
    Saves - 18 Fortitude/24 Reflex/18 Will
    Resistances - 10 Fire/10 Cold/10 Electrical/10 Acid/15 Spell/5 Slashing/20 Bludgeoning/-5 Piercing/20 Missile/0 Magic Damage.

Has the deflect arrows feat, so missile weapons are useless, and has high elemental resistances so most elemental damage won't hit either or will be resisted, and most spells are useless on him by virtue of his high saves.
    Is permanently hasted by means of an item, so no dispel/remove magic will work.
    He is vulnerable to piercing damage, and will also take slashing damage, but is immune to bludgeoning damage.

Kaervas Death’s Head - Lvl 20 Fighter. (Duergar)
    30 STR/18 DEX/20 CON/9 INT/9 WIS/9 CHA
    Saves - 25 Fortitude/6 Reflex/6 Will
    Resistances - 20 Fire/20 Cold/20 Electrical/0 Acid/0 Spell/20 Slashing/0 Bludgeoning/20 Piercing/20 Missile/0 Magic Damage.

With his very high elemental resistances (except vs acid) most if not all damaging spells won't be useful on this guy. He is also immune to piercing and slashing damage, as well as to missile weapons, but not to bludgeoning damage.

Atalaclys the Lost - Lvl 24 Wizard.
    10 STR/20 DEX/10 CON/30 INT/20 WIS/ 9 CHA
    Saves - 18 Fortitude/ 8 Reflex/18 Will
    Resistances - -5 Fire/100 Cold/20 Electrical/0 Acid/20 Spell/0 Magic Fire/10 Magic Cold/0 Slashing/0 Bludgeoning/10 Piercing/10 Missile/0 Magic Damage.
    Spells Known : Magic missile, Snilloc's snowball swarm, Dispel magic, Haste, Lightning bolt, Slow, Mordenkainen's force missiles, Stoneskin, Vitrolic sphere, Circle of Death, Disintegrate, Mass Haste, Finger of Death, Power Word : Stun, Horrid Wilting, Flaying, Summon Monster VIII, Aegis, Black Blade of Disaster, Executioners Eyes, Mass Dominate, Power Word : Kill, Wail of the Banshee.

High spell resistance, and immune to (non-magical) cold damage, and very resistant to electrical damage. no immunities to slashing/bludgeoning, but is resistant to missile/piercing damage. is vulnerable fire, so try using fire based damage on him if any.
    No resistance vs Magic damage, but I'm unsure if he casts Aegis on himself, if he does it would give him an additional 15/- acid/cold/fire/electricity resistance, +5 deflection, +3 spell resistance, +2 saves, and also cast Stoneskin, Minor Globe & Freedom on him.

Jaiger of the Fanged Season - Level 20 Fighter. (Archer)
    18 STR/20 DEX/ 14 CON/10 INT/10 WIS/10 CHA
    Saves - 14 Fortitude/20 Reflex/8 Will
    Resistances - 0 Fire/100 Cold/20 Electrical/0 Acid/30 Spell/0 Slashing/0 Bludgeoning/10 Piercing/30 Missile/30 Magic Damage.

Has high resistance to magic damage, and with a high missile resistance + the deflect arrows feat also pretty much immune to missile weapons. Also immune to cold damage.
    With his low stats he is quite vulnerable if you can close the distance and attack him from melee range though.

Veddion Kairne - Lvl 20 Fighter. (Half-giant)
    30 STR/18 DEX/20 CON/19 INT/19WIS/20 CHA
    Saves - Fortitude 18/Reflex 10/Will 12.
    Resistances - 100 Fire/50 Cold/100 Electrical/0 Acid/30 Spell/0 Slashing/30 Bludgeoning/30 Piercing/0 Missile/0 Magic Damage.

High elemental resistances, completely immune to fire and electricity, and a whopping 50 resistance vs cold, so even with his low reflex saves most spells won't be useful at all. He is also resistant to bludgeoning/piercing weapons, but not to slashing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. Artas1984 Gems: 1/31

Seriously xosmi, what a detailed inquiry. Thank you, i applaud your effort. Perhaps this statistic should have been used in some kind of FAQ.. This party is quite boring it seems, so many predetermined immunities.. I think i will pass on replaying against them for the second time.. NWN HOTU Grimgnaw's "welcome to hell" party was more fun than this.

Funny, i did not know about most of their weakness points, rather than strength points, but i've managed to slay them all with swords, even that rusty dwarf. Also one of my summons, either an efreet or a cacodemon managed to last the whole fight and did a good distraction job.

4. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    yeah, i should modify the text a bit, what i in some case call immunities are not true immunities - the half giant *is* resistant to fire and electrical damage since he has 100 in those resistances, and i'm assuming those are percentace based, but i'm guessing that the values for the other resistances are based on the damage reduction as used in the IWD ruleset.
    This means that with 30 in resistance vs bludgeoning, you could potentially still do damage to him with a blunt weapon if your damage was big enough.
    i.e. a resistance of 30 would block the first 30 points of incoming damage from sources of blunt weapons, meaning you'd have to do at least 31 damage or more to penetrate it.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Aren't there two versions of each of these - one for normal and one for HOF?

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    As far as i know, HOF mode does not change enemies stats/save/resistances.
    All it does is increase HP and EXP awarded for killing them.
    HP increase is a base value of 80 + 3x their normal HP
    EXP is a base value of 2000 + 4x the regular exp awarded for a kill.

7. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    An old copy paste, my info may be erroneous because i have Tactics installed

Kaervas Death's Head
    30-16-22-10-12-10
    200HP, 16fort, 10refl, 10will, 24AC
    lvl20 Fighter w/axe
    resistances: 20fire, 100cold, 20elec, 0acid!, 0 Spell Resistance!, 30slash, 10pierce, 10 missile, 1 luck. weakness: {acid} spells, and bludgeoning/acid melee

Veddion Kairne
    34-16-20-18-14-18
    240HP, 16fort, 12refl, 12will, 26AC
    lvl 24 Fighter w/hammer
    resistances: 100fire, 100cold, 100elec, 20acid, 50SR, 10slash, 10blud, 10pierce, 0 missile!, 10magic dmg. 1 luck. weakness: ranged is best

Broken Khree
    22-16-16-10-28-10
    160HP, 16fort, 16refl, 16will, 27AC
    lvl20 Monk w/fist
    resistances: 10fire, 100cold, 10elec, 10acid, 30SR, 10magicfire&cold, 5slash, 30bludg, 10magic dmg. 1 luck. weakness: melee or ranged w/pierce/(slash)/acid

Inhein-Who-Was-Taken
    10-20-18-12-30-10
    160HP, 16fort, 10refl, 16will, 26AC
    lvl20 Cleric w/qstaff
    resistances: 100cold, 20elec, 30SR, 10magiccold, 10slash, 10bludg, 5magic dmg. 1 luck. weakness: melee or ranged w/pierce/fire/acid

Jaiger of the Fanged Seasons
    20-30-20-10-10-10
    264HP, 17fort, 11refl, 11will, 24AC
    lvl22 Barbarian w/longbow & greataxe
    resistances: 100cold, 20elec, 32SR, 20pierce, 20missile, 20magic dmg. 1 luck. weakness: melee w/slash/bludg/fire/acid

Atalaclys the Lost
    10-16-16-30-20-8
    88HP!, 11fort, 11refl, 17will, 24AC
    lvl22 Wizard w/dagger
    resistances: 100cold, 20elec, 32SR 10magiccold, 5slash, 5bludg, 10pierce, 10missile, 10magic dmg. 1 luck. weakness: general melee w/fire/acid

It appears my info is quite different from xosmi's. What i can reccommend is killing Atalaclys before Inhein, because the wizard can do a lot of damage and disrupt your plans, while the cleric will get a few summons at worst. make sure summons are the first thing Broken Khree sees, because he needs to waste his insta-kill no-save monk ability on them, not on one of your party.
    Veddion seems buffed in Tactics; I had to kite him, while Kaervas was simple to gang up on.

At start, summons kept Kaervas, Jaiger and Broken Khree occupied. Veddion hit too hard to even be inconvenienced by summons. The team started spread out, so one could run if Veddion approached him/her, as the others kept fighting.I dispelled Atalaclys and ganged up on him.
    Then I went for Inhein, ignoring her summons, enduring their damage. After, someone cast a Banishment I think.
    One of my party keeps on running from Veddion, to keep him occupied.
    Karvas, Jaiger and Broken Khree will have killed their summoned interference by now, so they approach the party one by one. Jaigervswitches from Greataxe to Bow and does high damage at range. A few hits are unavoidable, because Kaervas and BrokenKhree are on top of the party.
    Kaervas, Khree and Jaiger eventually fall one by one.
    The targeted party member is still running from Veddion, careful not to run too far, so he keeps targeting him/her. Only a few support spells and ranged shots could be snuck in between the running.
    Once Veddion is last, everyone employs the wisp lights tactic: ranged attacks until he drops. With magical ammo of course.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. Silvershadows Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:

Well, the saving throws might be a little inaccurate. For instance, a lvl22 Barbarian with Dex 30 should have 17Ref (assume he does not take Lighting Reflexes/Snake Blood/Luck of Heroes). But I may be wrong, since they could be specially modified by developers or modders.

Most of them except Jaiger and Khree should have poor Ref save. So if your party level is high enough (ie.lvl15+), you can cast Tremor (Clr8, Drd9), Creature failed a Reflex save will be knocked down for 3 rounds. And, of course, better lower their saving throws before you can cast any spells. If you do this fight with lvl13~14 party, you might need to employ Divide and Conquer strategy. None of them seems to be immune to Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, so just encase anyone who is deemed too tough to be taken down in short time and deal with the vulnerable foes first.

- Kaervas Death's Head

Formidable warrior with high hp but poor saving throws. Spells like Lance of Disruption (Wiz3) or Sol's Searing Orb (Clr6, Drd6) can do a wonderful job here. He does have some fire resistance, but the damage caused by Searing Orb is so vast that he can only resist a small part of it. Lower his saves before casting Searing Orb.

- Veddion Kairne

Veddion's SR can be lowered by Lower Resistance. If you think he is too tough, just encase him with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere at the beginning of the battle ( after lower his SR, of course). In vanilla you need to use slash weapons, in tactics you probably need spells like Lance of Disruption or maybe Star Metal Cudgel (Drd4). (BTW, one of many weird things in IWD2 is that Dispel Magic is actually subjected to spell resistance! -_-!!! )

- Broken Khree

The most troublesome one.... for spell casters. There is no other way than hack him down with blade. Oh, in IWD2, both Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm can be negated by Mirror Image.

- Inhein-Who-Was-Taken

Sol's Searing Orb has devastating effect on her, a druid or a cleric can take her down in 2 or 3 rounds. Inhein's undead minions may cause some trouble. Undead have good Will save but poor Ref/Fot save, so in this case Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is better than Banishment or Dismissal, unless you are facing a horde of undead!

- Atalaclys the Lost

The most dangerous one. Atalaclys can wipe out the entire party single-handed, but he is also the most vulnerable one. Like Inhein, Searing Orb has devastating effect on him; a divine caster can take him down in 1 or 2 rounds. And, of course, the Mordenkainen's Force Missiles is..... well, let's say nobody wants to be hit by Force Missiles x7 and this makes the cleric the most suitable person to fight Atalaclys. Clerics can cast Divine Shell (Clr6, Selune6), the spell renders the caster completely immune to Force Missiles and range attacks. In fact, protected by Divine Shell, the party cleric can "solo"(sort of) both Atalaclys the wizard and Jaiger the archer.

- Jaiger of the Fanged Seasons

The harmless one....as long as he keeps shooting his mighty longbow at party cleric, who is protected by Divine Shell. Before you cast any spell on him, don't forget to lower his SR.

In general, the battle plan is:

-Cleric casts Searing Orb on Atalaclys and attracts Jaiger's attack

-Wizard(s) isolates Kaervas with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

Also, with Mirror Image and proper protection spells, arcane caster(s) can “Tank” both Veddion and Khree

-Druid keeps throwing Searing Orb at Inhein (any undead she summoned will be encased by Otiluke's Resilient Sphere)

~ (This should maim/disable four out of six) ~

-After both Atalaclys and Inhein are dead, turn your attention to Veddion and Khree. Since the party wizard(s) served as "meat shield", you shouldn't have too much trouble to deal with them.

-Take care of Jaiger

-Dispel Otiluke's Sphere and take care of Kaervas

-Take care of any undead you encased earlier

Afterthoughts:

1.) In IE games, wizard is the true "Meat Shield" -_- !!!

2.) You need proper formation to do this fight (to protect the vulnerable party members). To achieve this, you probably need to cast Sanctuary on everyone before enter the fray.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  9. sansserif Gems: 1/31

I completed this game once, and recall I lost half of my party in that fight, however, like you mentioned, my sorcerer also killed Chapotek and Thoraskus (Disintegrated Chapotek, actually. Forgot what spell I used on Thoraskus, maybe Horrid Wilting.. They didn't seem much of a threat.)

But that was four to five years ago, and I might be better now..

Anyway my thoughts (or what I remember) regarding the six:
    -Inhein who was taken - I think she's the weakest and goes down the fastest
    -one of the six can be taken down with insta-death spells (I think it was finger of death)
    -the monk was really tough :p

and I think I reloaded this battle 6-7 times till I got sick of it.

In BG2, the worst fight (in the same sense) you could get would probably be the Final Guardians of the Keep, but you can cheese in BG2, I guess, compared to IWD2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.