1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bards with Wands: an uber solo recipe

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Har, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Har Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yes, gamewise, this Bard is no real fun to play. Wiping out whole hordes of enemies just by spewing out loads of fireballs and summons gets boring rather quickly. I really, really wouldn't want to go through the whole game with this guy.

The fun in this character, for me, has been to figure out the easiest and quickest way of getting uber; trying to figure out the most rewarding fights, the easiest way of dealing with them, and the best order in which to do them. This turns the whole experience into a puzzle, which has been a welcome twist to the game after playing it in a "normal" way for lord-knows how many times.

And a nice puzzle it has been; I've been playing solo's for a long time, and have seen a lot of my characters turn uber, but this guy is really something. You really can get totally uber before even doing the Naskhell Mines, without having to do any hard fighting on the way.

I've written a small walkthrough, showing the run I ended up with. I haven't had time to polish it yet, but if anybody is interrested in doing some proof-reading, the draft is available here:

http://69.93.175.187/Bards with Wands.zip

Taluntain, any chance of this walkthrough ending up on the site once I have completed it ?

[ January 30, 2006, 01:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Of course... just send it in.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Very nice!

4. Klorox

Any update on this, has Har ever sent it in?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, it'll go up with a site update in a day or two.

6. Klorox

Coolness. I'm really looking forward to it.

7. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, me to.

8. Har Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've finally completed my guide to this bard, and Taluntain was kind enough to add it to the site, so it is now available for your reading enjoyment!

It is in the Tips and Tricks-section of Baldur's Gate, but here is the link for easy access: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG&f=BG/BG1-Bards_with_Wands.zip

I must say, this whole experience has been a great twist on the game for me, and I've picked up a lot of tips which I'll use again in more normal runs in the future.

Thank you all for the help on this one, and I hope you'll like the end-result. Who knows, you might even try this bard for real..

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

I'm following your guide at the moment and *gasp* you forgot about the Ring of Wizardry hidden in a tree at the Friendly Arm's! It gives you - wait for it - 9'000 gold pieces!! :D

10. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

glad you resurrected the thread.

missed it the first time around and am thinking about giving a solo bard a try now

11. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've been going insane with this for about a month now, LOL.

I've started eight separate solo games now in vanilla BG1 (plus Dudley), one for each class. So far, I've gotten each one of them as far as the bard walkthrough takes you, so they are all around level 5 and ready for the Nashkell Mines.

I still need to install an xp cap remover and a higher levels ruleset, though, or I don't think the game will be any fun at all once I've hit 161,000!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.