1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle Horrors! Can't beat them!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Nov 2, 2001.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm down in those mines with all the slaves and guards(not Naskal). I made it to the 4th floor and now I cant bet the Battle Horars. They dont seem to have any weeknesses. Is their anything that will help me?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ack! Be a little more careful typing your topics; you're making work for me. :p

If you're where I think you are, you can avoid the Battle Horrors if you wish by disarming the traps that spawn them.

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Yeah, those guys are tough, but better to learn how to beat them now because for one they give you 4000 exp each and you will run across them again. As far as I know these guys are immune to missle weapons. So I pound them with magic as they approach and send my best tank at them, protected from evil, chanted, protected from fire, etc. if possible. And have them go at it, once the horror focuses on your main tank everyone else can gather round and try to get some hits in as well. Good luck. Oh yeah, I have stunned them with Chromatic Orb before, very handy...

4. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Yes, chromatic orb is great against them.

5. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I used the wand of frost against them with great effect.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I disarmed the traps... Always have the fighter with the lowest AC and with the Golden Girdle (+3 vs Slashing) on that fighter. Cast some evocation-magic with the mages and good archers can damage him with Arrows of biting for example.

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Here's an idea...

Get your toughest 2 guys and set them up as bait ... let the horrors fight them and while they should dish out some dosh to each other, get a cleric handy to heal your guys (also load your guys with healing potions etc.) And then, let your back 3 take up missile fire on the horrors ... that should hopefully get a few down ...

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

yeah but it also damages you. Just disarm the traps or use my tactic :)

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Guess its more practical, but my idea is more fun! and sometimes in certain circumstances, dangerously frustrating!

10. War Nerve

Blah...just use chromatic orb. It's only a level one spell so it's cheap, and you'll usually be able to stun them. No need to use anything more complicated.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Talking about frustrating exciting ideas, maybe you can charm one of them with Algarnon's Cloak and then let them kill each other :)

12. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try sending your thief in to trip the traps and then draw the first Battle Horror out. Have all your people in the back toward the door and have someone ready with a web or tangle spell. Have a person that can use a wand of electricity off to the side. Once the Battle Horror is trap with the web/tangle spell, bounce the discharge from the electricity wand back and forth off of the walls. That should take care of it in short order. Just be careful, you could end up wiping out over half your party if you do it wrong. Safety tip, make sure th person using the wand is protected from electricity.

13. War Nerve

Or else...just cast one chromatic orb! :)

[We've seen your opinion for the third time now; you don't need to repeat yourself when others have different ideas. - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 12, 2001).]

Fine, fine...

[This message has been edited by War Nerve (edited November 13, 2001).]

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

With my thief-only party, I could also trip the traps with the Fighter/Thief. The other thiefs where hidden in Shadows and the Fighter/Thief had the Boots of Speed so he ran back and hided in shadows again. 2 thiefs per Battle Horror, 1 was death in the first attack and the other one was poisoned and killed by the Burning hands of the Illusionist/Thief.

15. DaemonSlayer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I found that if you cast dispel magic on them they can't kill you (they can only render you unconcious)!

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

That is very strange. Maybe the swords they have are from the cleric-spell that creates a flaming blade?

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Hmm, i shall have to try that lout sometime ... any idea what weapons the horrors carry? or is it just purely a flaming sword?

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

When it would be a spell, I say it is the lvl 2 cleric spell Flame Blade. The only problem is that his spell has a duration (4 rounds +1 round per 2 levels) and I don't think that after some rounds the sword would disappear :) I think it is just a bug.

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Ah well, there's no harm in trying right? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.