1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Becoming lawful good

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by vitamin, Aug 17, 2012.

1. vitamin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I finished my first playthrough but TNO ended up as neutral good. And now, I'd like to know why actually I failed to become a lawful character? Is it really that difficult? Do I need to be pay extra attention to all my deeds and conversations from the very beginning? And if something went wrong, there are no chances to make things right later on?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Now that you've played, read Dan Simpson's walkthrough. It will show you the options for alignment.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    To become more lawful, always tell the truth, make vows and don't break them, and always remain serious.

To become more chaotic, lie to people, make vows and then break them, speak to skeletons and zombies before you learn how, make jokes, and tell everyone your name is Adahn.

An example: When you bring Nodd the news that you have found his sister Amarysse, you can either tell him the truth, that his sister is a harlot (Lawful), you can tell him that she is a "servant of sorts" (Good), or that his sister is a foul w***e (Chaotic+Evil).

4. vitamin Gems: 2/31

The point is that I was actually keeping to these rules for most of the time. Maybe with a few exceptions in earlier stages of game (didn't know that speaking to undead would be chaotic) but I got a feeling that my later actions didn't have any effect on my alignment. I became neutral good when exploring Lower Ward or Clerk's Ward and after that nothing changed at all. And that doesn't seem right to me.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are very few places to be more lawful. A walkthrough will show you that.

6. vitamin Gems: 2/31

So becoming lawful isn't that simple as I thought. BTW, when TNO can become lawful good for the first time in the game? Is it before meeting Ravel maybe or much later?

I would rather not read walkthrough yet as I'm going to play this game second time really soon. But I'd like to know how one can tell whether a particular action will effect my alignment? AFAIK, there's no evil-good meter in this game as there is one in Arcanum for example.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I usually manage to become lawful good in the Buried Village, if I go for that alignment. I become neutral good soon after leaving the Mortuary.

Some specific Lawful actions:

- Choose the "Truth:" option whenever available. Or even better, "Make Vow:".

- Tell Nodd the truth about his sister, that she is a prostitute, not a "servant of sorts".

- Tell Sere the Skeptic in the Gathering Dust bar the truth, that she does look old.

- In the Buried Village, accept Ku'u Yin's quest for free and bring him his name and number. He will then offer you to take it. Accept it - this makes you MUCH more lawful!

Some specific Don'ts:

- You can click skeletons and zombies to examine them, just don't speak to them.

- Don't speak too much to Barking-Wilder, and *don't* ask to join the Chaosmen! Just wanting to join them is Chaotic! :)

- Don't break any vows! If you intend to break a vow, it's less chaotic in the long run to just tell a lie to begin with.

- Don't tell people that your name is Adahn.

- Don't sign more than one Death Contract in the Gathering Dust Bar (you can sign Death Contracts with three different Dustmen; but signing away your body more than once is not very lawful:)).

- If you promise Hargrimm and Stale Mary to keep the Silent King's secret of just why he is so silent, keep your promise. Ratting (sorry!:)) on him to Many-As-One or telling his tale to Yves the Tale Chaser means breaking a vow.

- By all means do NOT accept the Entropic Blade from Coaxmetal. Yes, it's one of the best weapons in the game, but doing so means releasing Coaxmetal which is both very Chaotic and very Evil.

- If you must kill Trias, bring Vhailor along, then make a vow not to kill him. Vhailor will do it for you anyway, and you can loot Trias' corpse for the Celestial Fire blade without losing Lawfulness. :evil:

General tip:

- Speak to as many people as possible, in particular all named characters. They often offer quests or are related to quests, or offer other bonuses through conversation. That includes entering buildings, including private houses, and speaking to the inhabitants.

- Do accept all quests (for free, in order to be more Good!). They often offer options to become more Lawful.

vitamin likes this.
  8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Look for a walkthrough that is sectionalized. Many will have sections about advice and tactics w/out spoiling the game.

9. vitamin Gems: 2/31

After reading Montresor's reply I'm pretty sure I won't need to read any walkthroughs for info on alignment anymore. BTW, many thanks Montresor for your great post. I must say that I'm very surprised that it's possible to become lawful good so soon. Looks like I made lots of mistakes in my first run. But I'll keep in mind your tips and try better next time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.