1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Cleric multi-class help

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Aragirb, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Aragirb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello everyone i just want to know from expierienced multiclassed clerics what is the best to multi class to? 16cleric/4fighter or 16cleric/2paladin/2fighter or even something else oh and please post the 2 most helpful domains for a more on the melee side type of cleric thanks!

[ June 18, 2003, 15:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For a fighter type cleric I wouldn't choose the 16cleric/2paladin/2fighter combination, because the Paladin levels are quite useless because at lvl.2 a Paladin hasn't got any spells and is a worse fighting character than a normal fighter and as I remember right you will get some bonus skills to choose from as a fighter.
    Anyway, I don't see a use to dualclass a cleric to a fighter, because with the cleric spell strength of one you become for some time as good as a fighter, and than your cleric rocks !

[ June 18, 2003, 14:38: Message edited by: Sephiroth ]

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If I were to multi-class a cleric and fighter, I'd be tempted to go Cleric 18/Fighter 2. That will give you the first two fighter bonus feats and maximize the number of spells your cleric can get. Besides which, if you stop at 16, you will not gain any 9th level spells.

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

Oh, I oversaw the question for the best domain for a fighter cleric. I would say magic is a perfect domain for your cleric, you will get magic armor, wich increases your armor by 4 and it also gives you stoneskin.

5. BigStick Gems: 13/31

And probably War as well.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Animal is a good domain. It increases your summoned companion by one rank, so a LVL 1 cleric gets a spirit wolf ... somethign better than a badger to help him/her.

Heal is good also, increasing the potency of your heal spells.

Paladin/cleric worked for me. Not uber-gaming, but it fit my personality.

Fighter/cleric or barbarian/cleric is good for a tank.

7. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

To Sephiroth: The only use for having 2 levels of a paladin in the 16c/2p/2f build would be to get his saves vs throws it would give me +5 to all my saving throws...and if i get 16cleric and 4 in any fighter like (paladin, fighter , barb) i get 4 attacks per round...and level 9 spells just suck for a cleric

8. BigStick Gems: 13/31

OK, if you don't like the 9th level spell selection, then I'd go straight fighter for the extra 4 levels. Unless you plan on having a high charisma (a +5 would require CHA=20), you'll be better off with a fighter.

What race are you planning to play? Only human & half-elf would work well with the cleric / paladin / fighter combo. If you stick to cleric / fighter you can also play a dwarf with no XP penalty. That would give you an added CON boost that a fighting cleric might need.

9. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

hrmm i was planning on getting a lot of charisma an no strength...any thoughts on this :confused: i thought at char start it be best to do 16chrisma - 18 wisdom - and i think its 12 on constit for the left overs...and then put my 5 stat points on charisma so i get 21 at lvl 20

10. BigStick Gems: 13/31

It really depends on what you want your character to be able to do well. If you are building an undead hunter, then yes, by all means put some points into CHA. However, you stated that you were looking to build a melee cleric, which to me, means a heavy-armor wearing, toe-to-toe standing, tank of a spell-casting character. For that type of character I might distribute the stats like:
    STR: 14 + 2 (16,20)
    DEX: 12
    CON: 14
    INT: 10
    WIS: 15 + 3 (4,8,12)
    CHA: 12

I would never start a character with an 18 in any stat. It just costs too much to be able to do anything with the other stats. What you're saying is that you want to design your character like:
    STR: 8
    DEX: 8
    CON: 12
    INT: 8
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 16 + 5

This character would not be able to carry much after donning armor, would have trouble hitting anything with blade or bow, would trip over his own feet on occasion, and is definitely not one of the sharper tools in the shed. But if that's the type of person you want to play, then, yes, I'd have to say to go with the paladin levels, just to get the saving throw bonus. At least he'd have something going for him besides his winning smile. :D

11. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

yes but you must have forgotten you get a automatic 18 strength using divine power and an extended one would be even better which i would get...but then again i dont know is there any point in getting strength in this build if its under 18? from what i know i dont believe it helps at all it will still go to 18, and i was looking through ur stat points being distributed , and why put anything in dex or int? if you use heavy armor the best the modyfer will go is 1 and int wont do anything

12. BigStick Gems: 13/31

I don't know how long Divine Might lasts, but you don't get it until about 7th level, later if you take any fighter levels before then. How're you going to be able to collect any kind of rewards if you can't carry them and your armor at the same time for at least the first 6 levels? How will you survive until then? With an 8 strength, I think you can carry about 53 pounds without being slowed. I'm not sure what plate and a large shield run, but I'll bet it's close to that.

The 4 points in Dex were kind of a stab in the dark. I don't usually play heavy armor chars. I think that you can still get a +1 to your AC from DEX while wearing heavy armor, but if not, I'd move 2 of those points elsewhere. I'd at least put 2 points there so that I don't get -1 to my AC with an 8.

I put points in INT so that I don't lose skill points. Clerics get few enough of those to begin with, so it's nice not to lose half of them due to a low INT.

13. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

hrmm bigstick do ya go messenger like AIM or somin we can talk constantly? its a pain having to wait for an answer for awhile just for a simple question :-/

14. BigStick Gems: 13/31

Nope. I'm at work and can only check when I should be working, but my boss is elsewhere. ;)

Try checking some of the character guides here and at BioWare's site. They should give you a lot of the same information and at a speed more to your liking. :) They offer several different ways of putting your character together. You may well find just what you're looking for, or at least get some good ideas.

Here's where you can find some of the walk-throughs and guides on this site.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  15. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

ya ive tried to read some of them and most of them are very off...only a few good ones for wizards and sorcerers , all their cleric ones are not good unfortuanitly =/ so i guess we talk here =)...about the dex i was planning on getting war domain which gives my +dex and the cats grace so i wouldent need any...and i was gonna get trickery for the improved invis to get the very nice 50%concealment which i find the best for melee fighting....and by the way i play on a server not single player so i wouldent really need strength.....so do you think it be best for me to get 18wis/16char/12consit..? since i dont need str/dex/int at all...(since im only gettin concentration and spellcraft for skills) i dont really see any other good spells for cleric..and i also gonna use dragon slippers..for fear immunity and immune to knock down =) and they got +2 dex too :)

16. BigStick Gems: 13/31

You sound like you're utterly convinced that you have the best build for you. All I can say is, try it out. If it doesn't work for you as well as you hoped, retire that character and start another.

One last suggestion I might add is to reduce your starting WIS to 17 to free up 3 points and use those in strength. You can add the point into WIS at 4, 8, or 12 and still hit a 20 charisma by level 20. I play multiplayer as well, and I don't always trust my fellow party members to carry my stuff for me. ;) I think you'll like the added carrying capability.

P.S. - You might want to try this build out in the SP campaign to see if you like it. I do that quite a bit. I play through the first 3-4 levels to see if I like where it's going.

17. Aragirb Gems: 1/31

thanks ill try that :)

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31

Hmm... I started with a Dwarf fighter and after 10 level I multiclassed him to a cleric. Now he's 10 fighter/6 cleric. And I haven't played NWN for quite some time so I can't help you much.

About the domains, I say War and Magic are the best...

...Aaaah... if only there was the Mysticism domain.

19. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

OK from experience playing with these characters, if you want a tank cleric, go with 4 fighter/16 cleric. You'll want to make sure you have the apropriate wisdom to cast spells at each level, and that needs to be natural wisdom. Items that increase wisdom will not allow you to cast spells, so be sure by 16 you have your charisma up to 18. Do not take it any higher. Also, go with strength and const. as your other stats. You'll want at least 18 strength as well, but items can help you out. Divine power is ok, but when it wears off, you'll wish you had decent strength naturally. Besides, with bull's strength, you can get it up to 23. Const should be the third stat you work with. Get at least 14 if not more. Dex you don't need, but have at least 10. If you have enough points, get 12 so you'll get a bonus with full plate. Keep int and cha at 8. Get yourself a really big sword. Get some full plate. Go kill stuff. Oh, and for domains, be sure and take magic and trickery for domains. You'll be glad you have access to stoneskin and imroved invisibility uness your server has stoneskin potions readily available. If so, pick air instead for the excellent damage spells. And there you have it. A lean mean fighting cleric coming to smite you down with his god's vengfull wrath. Enjoy ;)

20. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I'd prefer higher charisma than that. Turn undead is really nifty and can blow away many enemies at certain tombs and labyrinths.

personally I'd say fighter2/cleric18

perhaps a pally level instead of a cleric level, if one ever get that high a level.

When I completed the game my first time I was only level 14 (rogue1/wizard13) and wondered how the heck you'd ever get a 20th level character.

Trying my second run through with a fighter/cleric since it's the most suitable combo for NWN, and because it's a cool character :D

As for the min/maxing business, I dont think much about it. buffing up wisdom and getting spell focus enchantment you can hold monsters at the latest levels, which would be a real ***** to fight otherwise. There are many ways to make efficient characters, I like to turn/destroy the dead and hold/dominate the living ;)

Knockdown is an incredible powerful feat, especially against wizards. This is a must feat for any tank ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.