1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best race for a sorcerer?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by countduckula, Sep 9, 2008.

?

What is the best race for a sorcerer?

1. Human

40.2%
  2. Aasimar

24.4%
  3. Drow

24.4%
  4. Other

11.0%
  1. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The more I think about it, the less I agree with you.

Consider a lvl 10 non-ECL party, each character having 45,000 exp points when they reach lvl 10.

To reach that same experience award plateau, that ECL+1 party would have to be level 11 while the ECL character is level 10. Thus the party would still count as being lvl 10 for purposes of calculating exp. Thus each one of them must have at least 55,000 exp. Which, by incident, is just about 20% more than the 45k that the non-ECL party had.

Edit: Forgot the actual point. The Non-ECL party will count as level 2 party upon their first level-up, while the ECL+1 party still counts as level 1 even if it now has 5 level 2 characters. Meaning the ECL+1 party WILL gain more experience until it reaches the non-ECL party's average level. But in order for this to happen, the five non-ECL characters in that party will have to be one level higher than the ones in the non-ECL party. QED.

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] An ECL is always a disadvantage to your party's level.
    The dynamic XP system will partially mitigate the ECL penalty by giving a proportionally higher XP bonus.:)
    BUT, ECL will always stay a penalty, because you need to be lower level to get higher XP gains. At best, you can get your non-ECL party members up a level or two at most, but otherwise the increased XP is just to lessen the level disadvantage.:(
    If you mean that you can get 5 party members up to a higher level momentarily, then don't forget that you'll pay for it by getting less XP sooner.
    The dynamic XP system isn't fluid, it's incremental, and this makes it harder to determine whether you'll even get this advantage.

3. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
  4. Sir Rechet

But that's the whole point of it. You'll end up with one character that has the same level as you'd have if you didn't take any ECL races with you, plus five others that have UP TO one more. That's certainly not weaker, on the contrary - rather distinct advantage in my book.

Just to clarify, a level 10 drow is counted as level 10 character for purposes of exp awards, not 10 + 2 = 12 as you seem to assume. Yes, in that case you'd be two levels behind with that character with "nothing" to show for it. But that's not how it works in IWD2.

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Let's not go into the Drow Sorcerer vs Human Sorcerer 1 on 1 discussion please. As a veteran of similar discussions let me be the first to say they usually don't end well.

-Ahh yes, the price of power is indeed steep. Personally I actually bring two Bards instead of one to maximize the effect. Double Tymora's melody to a party with only two full time casters and taking the summon route? Yes please.
    -As for the melee issue the best axes in the game are actually the ranged ones so no biggie.

-Personally I don't see the sense in bringing a whole ECL-race party unless one cares to appreciate the first few hours of toil. The Drow SR is meant to protect him from potential harm. I don't see the sense in abusing that by repeatedly dropping fireballs in front of one's party.

-Actually, the best defense against a high level spell is another high level spell. I really don't think anyone should have their Sorcerers make critical saves if it can be avoided.

-I do not understand how "nothing too elaborate" buff spells and items can add a +17 bonus to a Human Sorc while only giving the Drow a +10.
    -Don't underestimate the prowess of a Sorcerer in full buffs (and quite a few of those will not be his own)
    -Consider that to get to this setup the human will have to already be on Isair/Madae's stronghold. On the other hand the Drow gets to keep his SR for the rest of the game (the other 95% of it).

-And there are some that don't give a save. Characters also automatically fail on a save of 1. (in d&d I think this is called "critical failure", iirc)

-Amen.

-True, except when "every advantage" comes into the equation the Clerics, Druids and other members in the party will also have their say.

-A false assumption. Between Death Ward and a staggering amount of other buffs that Clerics and Druids have, both Sorcs should not have too much trouble getting high saves and no small amount of protections. That was the whole point of having a party.

-I just realized I've rephrased everything JT said.

-True, but that is poor arguement against what makes a Drow Sorcerer less powerful. A Drow does not need to be 2 levels higher when he can do his job with only what he has, with a Human or other Wizard to compensate for the lost spell level. The presence of a primary caster (the Wizard) also relegates the Sorcerer to a purely "nuker" role. This fixes the lost spell levels perfectly because the Drow's disadvantage is all but minimized to the mere damage of his nukes. Why? Because unless someone comes up with a Sorcerer with four arms for simultaneous casting, the nuker will remain focused on damaging spells and while the primary caster will takes care of the more delicate, save-dependent spells.

-For 95% of the game, the Drow and Human will have similar saving throws and in the remaining 5% the sheer amount of buffs and protections a party can dish out can have an amazing effect on the lowly Drow's saves

-When the Sorc is caught vulnerable enough for one to pray that his HP advantage should matter, it probably won't

-Unfortunately, the game is not exactly ideal and monster HP won't exactly scale along with damage either, resulting in overkill in most cases.

-Mix-ins should be a whole party concern, not a single character's. A Sorcerer should not be using Cera Sumat especially sincea fighter character can put it to much better use.

-No they don't. But it is possible to go overboard with them, which would not be advisable except for "bait" characters.

For all that I don't feel like I made much headway and I'm as tired as ever.

The main difference between our opinions Coineineagh is that you think of the most powerful Sorcerer as a single powerhouse for the ideal situation, while my opinion is based more on synergy and the current situation. Given that we probably won't agree on what's best until Christmas.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. coineineagh

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You consider your sorcerer to be an arcane fire spellslinger:flaming:, while your mage concentrates on advancing fast, to get important high-level spells. This doesn't go up for my mage, since my DG Illusionist already has 3ECL, and the mix-ins actually put her behind my sorcerer.
    I try to see my illusionist as a rogue/mage, but with a strong emphasis on the spellcasting, so that she can't really be considered auxiliary.
    I see my human sorc type as more of a warlock (accidental roleplaying, though she'd be a white witch due to her alignment), with plenty of fire and necromancy:cool:, but still room for taking up some transmutations and enchantments in Heart of Fury. I disagree about the importance of Cera Sumat in melee, but this is likely because I have access to numerous mod items, and mod-enhanced items:smash:. Mods aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you'll find the greater challenge rating of Tactics4IWD2 quite addictive if you try it.
    Some items are much better in normal mode, and I value Cera Sumat mainly for its 16SR, though it remains a decent combat weapon too.
    Don't get me wrong; I value the discussion, and appreciate everyone's input. It's useful for (re)learning the game rules, and potentially devising even better characters. I had totally forgotten the +2 s.t. that drow get, until JT reminded me, for example.
    I still believe that the human sorcerer is the most suitable member of my powergaming party, and I just updated my IWD2_4dummies guide where she remains almost unchanged (i now add a level rogue after sorc20 so she can wear Crow's Nest, that's all). My 4th version should be available on the boards soon.
    I also didn't know that Jukka/Sir Rechet was still around, and I'm glad to hear he's renewed interest in his guide. The new insight into SR and Evasion in another thread looks very promising. Since I do 'versatile powergaming', I don't feel like I'm competing with 'Ultimate Powergaming Guides' like JUPP.

The versatility is where we differ here, Scythesong. I try to make my characters as versatile as possible, at a minimum of sacrifice. Ultimate charaters were developed for a singular purpose, and do excel at that, but they have more limitations and vulnerabilities.
    With the example of spell protections, your drow starts with higher saves at level 1, and SR. It levels slowly, and aquires new spell levels later, but gets +1DC:), which pays off when it has reached all levels. Its SR continues to progress at a steady pace, as do its saving throws. It's definitely a good character; one of the best, most 'ultimate' casters in fact.
    My human on the other hand, doesn't start with the drow's +2 saves:o, or SR. But it levels faster early on, which is a distinct advantage in the difficult early game. A sorcerer should primarily cast spells, (spell) defense is of lower priority. Once it takes a level paladin (which I do at level 7), it gets a significant boost to saving throws, taking it significantly above the drow, and this will only improve double-speed, as it advances in levels and Charisma. Once 2 mix-ins are taken, it is at the level of its drow counterpart. When paladin and monk mix-ins are combined, it gets protection from sky-high saves and monk Evasion, that the drow can't achieve without penalties. As I mentioned earlier, the human can also acquire the maximum of 50SR with items and buffs.
    The character I just described has the most layers of spell protection I can think of, and it is just one of its many versatile traits.

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    I'm not saying I'm mad or anything. I enjoy debates. I just don't think we can come to an agreement with this one.

I meant that you're building your Sorcerer so he is the best that a Sorcerer can be given IWD2 mechanics, spells and items. Versatility is a natural side effect. Your Sorc could probably solo the twins in HoF with few or no reloads and win.

I'm building my Sorcerer so he synergizes best with the rest of the party. Focus is preferred instead of versatility, since versatility is viewed in the scale of a party rather than individually. The Human bonuses are nice, but pales as a necessity. SR is preferred because magical harm (friendly or otherwise) is the one type of damage nigh-unavoidable by micromanagement and tactics. Drow higher Charisma makes DC's higher and grants an extra casting, along with mundane bonuses. Item distribution is seen in the eyes of a party rather than individually, so maximizing a single character is difficult and impractical. Drow stats (saving throws, HP, BAB) actually advances very similarly to a Human's until mid-high level, at which point powerful protection spells become available.
    Holy Aura, in particular, has a less known side effect. It grants the party SR which stacks with the buff, allowing the Drow to nuke his own party at leisure. The -2 class levels help minimize friendly damage.

Yes my Drow Sorc is a spellflinger. :p The Wizard is never of an ECL race, so besides having the highest DC in the party he's reponsible for casting the save-or-bust spells and a few nukes/buffs/debuffs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. KFX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This isn't actually true. +2 ECL does not directly translate into "2 levels behind" because the game checks only character levels, not effective level when calculating how many XP you should get for combat. Any race with a +ECL will need more XP but also increase the amount of XP the party gains, negating the penalty somewhat.

Personally, I voted Human because 1) getting to minimize the INT is too much of a powergaming opportunity to ignore and 2) DAY BLINDNESS. Day Blindness gives a flat -1 to anything your Drow does when outdoors, taking away most of the benefits from the increased stats right there. The only thing left after that is the spell resistance, which is indeed very useful, but not enough to lose nine whole character points for IMO.

9. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    KFX: You can minimize INT with a drow too. Spellcraft isn't mandatory.
    Day blindness is annoying but *most* of the most important areas of the game are indoors or underground.

10. KFX Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Technically no, but the +20%-to-damage feats it enables are so much better than anything else on offer for spellcasters, featwise, that it might as well be. Not picking those feats is gimping your caster.

'Sides, a Drow doesn't get to reduce his INT all the way to 3... nor raise his CON all the way to 18.

11. Sir Rechet

That's true. ECL only matters relative to the rest of your party.

A drow in a party otherwise full of ECL zero characters - such as the Rogue(1)/Wizard(x) from the original UPP - is really going to be dragging behind in power.

A human in a party otherwise full of Drows and Deep Gnomes is going to end up a couple levels higher.

Therefore, the original poll is rather moot point, as long as the rest of the party isn't specified.

And yes, +20% bonus to elemental damage is HUGE. 15th level Sunfire suddenly becomes as effective as if cast by 18th level caster -- except that it's capped already at 15th level. Likewise, a 20th level Delayed Blast Fireball jumps from 20d6 to "24d6", i.e. as if cast by a 24th level caster. There's no way you can compensate for such losses elsewhere.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If they cast haste a sorcerer can be competitive in any race....

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You may need to be banned for that joke. . . .

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ... ever since the threat started I've been resisting, but someone had to go and resurrect it. You know you've had the same thought -- be honest now.

15. JT Gems: 12/31

Media:
    But Jukka, the elemental spells aren't the most powerful to begin with, especially in HOF (you mentioned a 20th level caster). Necromancy and enchantment spells are better.

More importantly, the powergaming advantage to minimizing INT with a sorc is most likely going to be more points in STR or WIS, which just don't matter.

Human sorc:
    CHA 18 CON 18 DEX 18 INT 3
    WIS 10 STR 9 or perhaps WIS 3 STR 16 and a throwing weapon, though I prefer a longbow with highly enchanted arrow for the improved range.

Drow sorc who goes for elemental feats:
    CHA 20 (worth at least two feats over the human)
    CON 16 (disadvantage)
    DEX 20 (advanatage)
    INT 12
    WIS 3
    STR 9

Second guy is better IMO

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  16. Sir Rechet

Quite frankly, Slings are better than bows any day of the week, twice on sunday, ASSUMING you have the STR for it. Bows no longer get automatic +1 attack per round as they did in 2e rules, and Rapid Shot works just as well with Slings.

17. coineineagh

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Whether STR on a sorcerer is irrelevant, depends on your play style. High STR sorcs, properly buffed, are good in melee. It just breaks the roleplaying spirit of the game.

As for enchantment and necromancy being better than evocation: not really:o. In HoF, enemies are so often resistant or immune to those effects, that they also become poor. Buffs are the ultimate spells in this game; there's no need to overcome enemy immunity, resistance, or saving throws. That's also why melee should not be dismissed, not even for your sorcerer!

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    At least T2Bruno's joke made sense.

19. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

...no it didn't...

Would somebody be kind enough to explain it to half drunk idiot?

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Casting haste means you seriously speed up -- race (not elf/dwarf/human, but 100 meter sprint) . . .

Pretty self explanatory (note the name of the thread . . .)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.