1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best SOLO? Berserker/Cleric...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Klimax, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Klimax Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

After reading this excellent article on this excellent site:

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/BCsorc.zip

I would like to play BG2 with that Berserker/Cleric but I'm unable to create it. In multi-class you can do a fighter/cleric but the Berserker seem to be use only in single class.

Someone have an idea? (or a better advice for soloing)

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You cannot use kits when you are multiclassing. You can become a Berserker first then dual class into a Cleric later on provided you are Human and have a certain amount of Wisdom.

3. Klimax Gems: 4/31

Ok, so the document talk about 9th level...

I start BG2 at 89000XP Berserker7 human Wisdom 18 (for Cleric spells). 2 level later (Berserker9) I will dual-class to Cleric1 and loosing all my Berserker attribute until I reach Cleric10?

Is that right? That does'nt seem to be an easy way to solo.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When dual-classing, you need 15 in the primary stat of the class you are dualling from (berserker - strength) and 17 in the primary stat of the class you are dualling to (cleric - wisdom). And as Sarevok said, you can't have a kit in a multi-class (unless you cheat and use Shadowkeeper).

Edit - @ Klimax - correct. It's not easy (but I've never actually done it).

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

If you're soloing, and looking for true power, don't dual class until you hit level 13 as a fighter.

ON EDIT: If you don't know how dual classing works, I'd venture to guess that you're not very experienced at this game. If this is true, I'd suggest playing with a party or, if you insist on soloing, go with a multiclassed Fighter/Mage/Thief.

BTW, a Sorcerer or Ranger/Cleric multiclass is the most powerful solo character IMHO. I've played the Berserker/Cleric, and it does kick some big-time butt too!

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I believe, although I don't know because I have never done it, that it is not so bad because at that stage of the game, you get so much XP that it doesn't take very long to get the XP required to get your cleric level up to the same as your Fighter level.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, what harbourboy says is true, especially so when soloing. You'll absolutely fly through the first few cleric levels as you need so little XP to advance in the beginning. I think Level 2 occurs at 1,500 XP - if you're soloing, that's about one encounter. Heck, if you time it right, you should be able to dual class to a cleric right about the time you a leaving Irenicus' Dungeon, and you get something like 30,000 XP upon escape. That will immediately launch your cleric to level 6 (Off the top of my head I think level 6 for a cleric is at 27,000 XP.) You can get your fighter abilities back before you leave Waukeen's Promenade.

8. Klimax Gems: 4/31

I will dual at level Berrserk8 125000XP just for the extra berserk/day and exit the dungeon about Cleric6.

Thanks

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You might as well wait until 9 then, and get the extra weapon proficiency.

10. Klimax Gems: 4/31

If I take an + on war hammer with berserker and an + on war hammer with cleric, will they be cumulative when the Cleric will be at level 10

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    First, I definitely agree with dmc that if you are going to get to level 8, you may as well wait until level 9. You get an extra proficiency, your THAC0 goes down by one, and you get another d10 hitpoints with the bigger bonus if your fighter has a high constitution. If you only plan on going to level 8, I would recommend dual-classing right at the start of the game, when you are level 7.

But to answer your question - no. They aren't cumulative at all. If you place one point in war hammers as a berserker, and another one point as a cleric, you will still have one when you re-activate your berserker class.

Here's how it works - as a berserker you can place proficiency points in any weapon proficiency you please, and have up to five proficiency points assigned in any given weapon class. However, since you're going to be dual-classing to a cleric, it makes no sense to place these proficiencies towards any weapon that is unusable by a cleric, as they'll be completely wasted. So basically, your choices are: War Hammers, Flail/Morning Star, Clubs, Maces, Quarterstaves and Slings. If you go up to level 9, you'll have 7 proficiency points to distribute (fighters automatically get 4 proficiency points at character generation, and then get one additional proficiency point at levels 3, 6, and 9).

I would probably recommend you pick two weapons from that group, placing two proficiency points in each, and then assign three points to two weapon style (I'm assuming you're dual wielding). For the sake of arguement, let's just say you put two points in flails/morning stars and war hammers (that would probably be my pick).

Next, when you switch over to a cleric you get two proficiency points at character generation (or in this case dual-class generation) and additional proficiency points at levels 4 and 8 previously to getting your berserker levels back. As a cleric, you're only allowed one point in each category, and since you don't want to place any points into war hammers, flails/morning stars or two weapon style, as they aren't cumulative, I would recommend putting one point in each of the remaining cleric chioces: slings, quarterstaves, clubs, and maces (although I'd probably take slings and maces as the first two when I dual-classed).

Once you hit level 10 as a cleric, all of your old proficiencies come back, so your ** in war hammers and flail/morning stars will reappear, as will your *** in two weapon style. Every fourth level thereafter you'll get an additional proficiency point (the first of which will occur at level 12). At this point, additional proficiency points may be placed into any of the categories, and you can take any weapon of your choice out to a total of 5 proficiency points if you so desire.

12. Klimax Gems: 4/31

Wow, what an answer. :)
    Thanks for all ;)
    Now that everything is clearer, let's start this game :) :) :)

13. Thehobbit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

im very confused.. when you dual class you become sooo very weak at lvl 1.. how can you then level up on Solo???

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thehobbit - because you will only be SOOO weak for about 20 minutes - which is about how long it will take you to gain 6 or 7 cleric levels.

15. Thehobbit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

and you would gain these lvls by doing fedex missions?

16. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    An easy way of doing things would be to wait until you're ready to cash in the XP reward of a quest then, dual class. At this point you're level 1. Talk to whoever gave you the quest, and complete it. If it's a "heavyweight" quest, you get something like 50,000XP dumped on you. All of a sudden you're almost halfway to regaining your old class abilities. Not a very elegant solution, but it works.

17. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Another trick is to add a mage to your party, scribe all of your scrolls to that mage, and then boot the mage. You'll split the XP between the two of you.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Or a theif and get him to pick the lock to every chest in the city - If you dont actually open the conatainer you can't get in trouble.

19. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Or get Jan and do both :)... Cheese rocks!

20. Klimax Gems: 4/31

Out of the Irenicus dungeon at Berserker9/Cleric8. It was very hard to kill goblins with a Cleric1. With the animated dead things become really easier.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.