1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] I have just started my first ever game of Baldur's Gate II. Here are my initial thoughts so far:

Character creation - I like these kits. They add some nice variety to the character creation process.

Subquests - I like the fact that the subquests I have encountered so far have some purpose. In BG, I felt I was wandering aimlessly around the wilderness looking for quests just to get more XP which is not much of a role-playing reason. But in BGII, I'm looking for quests so I can raise the 20,000gp to free Imoen (no spoilers please as to whether this is a vain goal or not) so at least the subquests support the thrust of the main story.

Graphics: These are OK but the character sprites are a bit pudgy.

Dialogue: There does seem to be an awful lot of dialogue and I'm getting a bit sick of those NPCs piping up with their 2 cents worth all the time when I just want to get on with the game. The dialogue is occasionally amusing but I can see myself getting tired of it pretty fast if it carries on like this too long.

All in all I am enjoying things so far. This looks like it might be quite a good game......

2. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Just wait Harbourboy, if you have Aerie in your party be redy for her to drive you to drink. Oh my wings, oh my poor bad sucky life. There is alot of useless banter but the rest of the game is quite good.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

you find the banters annoying? Lol I practically replayed the game with some special line-ups just to hear (well read) some banters I hadn't heard before. except with Aerie, I can't stand her either, she's quite annoying.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    "Might"?!?!? It might be a good game, but I assure you it is a GREAT game!

Oh, and Aerie is not annoying...she just needs a good "thrusting" to get here to change her tone of voice. :love: :rolling:

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'd stay away from Aerie - she's old enough to be your great great grandma's grandma!

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I like Aerie, sure she's like 16 year old with a crush at first, but that changes with time.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What's with this Aerie bashing? Don't you know that in the end she is almost as bad as Viconia? :shake:

Harbourboy, just try to follow the dialogs a bit; I'm certain they get pretty interesting after a while. ;)

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@HB: Sacrilege!!! :shake: J/k. :shake:

But seriously, BG2 is the holy grail of RPGing on the PC, you're going to love it.

Ah...I only wish I could get to play BG2 for the first time all over again. That first playthrough with my elven Assassin was soo great. :love:

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So Harbourboy, after all of the discussion of which PC you'd take: who is it, and who's in your party now?

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bion, you might see from another thread that I couldn't get my Paladin's ability scores to transfer over from BG (I must have been doing something wrong). I got so annoyed that I started a new character, a single-class Kensai, loosely based on The Bride from Kill Bill (see another of my threads). I only get to play for about half an hour a day so progress is slow. We're currently helping Nalia (along with Minsc and Jaheira) sort out what's going on at her house.

It's going well but I keep getting these long-winded dreams every time I rest.......

11. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

Those do continue Harbourboy, but I agree with everyone else, great game. Your gonna enjoy it alot. Even though I despise alot of Aeries banter, I did keep her through the entire game. I like the banter between Keldorn and Viconia. Ha Ha.

12. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ahh, I missed that turn of events...

Did you ditch Yoshimo?

And I still think you should consider putting Anomen and Kelsey (get the mod) together in your group... I mean, BG2 is all about having annoying dialogue pop up at the most inopportune times...

13. Tiberius Gems: 6/31

Ha, exactly. I did ditch Yoshimo the second time I played. The first time I did not. Bud I wish I would have, I think I could have made a better choice with someone else.

14. Harbourboy

I left Yoshimo behind at the Copper Coronet. His hiding ability was good but I was never going to use his traps so there was no point in wasting XP on having him hanging around. Nalia can handle any required theiving for the time being.

I'm desperately trying to avoid reading any Walkthroughs and to follow the general flow of the plot as much as I can as I know I only get one chance at seeing this game for the first time. For example, I've headed straight off to Nalia's house because that is what she has asked us to do. Who knows if that will turn out to be the right thing to do or not? We'll have to wait and see (although we don't have much anti-Troll ammo.......)

[ October 08, 2004, 00:09: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You know, that's funny because Viconia is older than Aerie.

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You haven't played BG2 yet? What took you so long?

17. Harbourboy

It took me over a year to finish Icewind Dale II and another year to finish Baldur's Gate I. Before that, I hadn't heard of Baldur's Gate II so I've gotten to it as fast as I could.

18. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I dislike Aerie because in any large scale fight when you can be flanked I seem to need to divert a combat character to keep an eye out for her because she's so damm FRAGILE! Which of course involves a higher chance of my tanks succumbing to the enemy...

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just get into this game and your social life gets put on stop for a week or two. Believe me. It is absolute quality, you will love it.

Enjoy.

As a sidenote: Come on England! Kick those sheep shagging Welsh twats off the park!

20. Harbourboy

A week or two?? How on earth can you finish this game in a week or two? I reckon I might be finished by April 2005, but only if I really make a concerted effort to spend all my spare time playing.

That's why I like these games - they are such value for money. $20 for at least a year of entertainment!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.