1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG II - newbie thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Some might even say "three" redeeming qualities. ;)

Don't worry is you slow down a bit, HB. I'm trying to catch up, and my party is on werewolf island in BGI!!!!

2. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Geez, HB, how many days of vacation does Arya get anyway? It's like the Bhaalspawn unionized or something...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hello - yes, I have been away on summer holiday for the last two weeks. Didn't seem that long at the time but coming back here makes it seem like an eternity. Because I was away from the PC, not much to update here. Arya and the gang have just about finished with the Drow (I think) as we're about to do some jiggery-pokery with those dragon eggs but it all seems a bit complicated.

Benan - no we have not had to fight any dragons yet.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Welcome back HB. I haven't posted any comments but I have been following your adventure and missed you.

5. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

ty for the update, do tell us when you get back above ground : )

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wahey - hello Chapter 6. At last. How many more chapters are there in this game. Finally we have made it out of the Underdark after much buggering around with fake fake dragon eggs etc. No idea what we are supposed to do now but it seems like we have to go and find Bodhi (yet again).

Arya is now Kensai 12 / Thief 17. Levelling up for her is no longer very interesting because she already has stacks of thief skills and doesn't really seem to get much benefit from new Thief levels. I can see why there is little point in having a fulltime thief in this game.

One of the cool things that has happened is that I have found a missile weapon that Arya can use. Previously she has had a weakness in that it was difficult for her to deal damage from a distance (due to Kensai restrictions). But now she has found a fiery dagger that can be thrown and returns which she can use because it uses the dagger proficiency. This makes her a really well rounded character now.

7. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

hm thats interesting...well yes you have to go find bodhi now!!!well i ADORE chapter 6 and 7 the best things happen during those two chapters. Well thieves are a nice class i prefer though assasins.try it once hide backstab, death. its funny

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The betrayal-within-betrayal dragon eggs quest is one of my favorites in the game. So many ways you can solve the quest, and so many interesting possibilities to try out.

HB, you're going to be happy having a true thief once you hit level 23 and HLAs kick in. I won't spoil anything, but prepare for some really interesting and powerful abilities :)

You don't need to rush to find Bodhi - you can take your time and finish any quest you left pending before going to Spellhold. There are also a few new things to do around Amn in this chapter.

9. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

I've just finished my BGI game and have started my SoA game, Im completly ripping off what HB has done so far and it seems to be going well, I feel I have cheated somwhat as I imported all my old equipment in...

I've gotta say if you've been enjoying it so far HB your gonna love the last few chapters, I wont spoil anything for you but I will say it gets better...

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Re: SotC:

I'm doing the same as well. I just made it to chapter 6 with my gnome Illusionist/Fighter. I imported my stuff too, but I ended up leaving most of it in Irenicus' dungeon or just ditching it for certain reasons.

1)My ring of Wizardry works completely different.
    2)My two handed sword +3 now has fireballs randomly eplode from it.
    3)The sword "Spider's Bane" didn't give "Free Action"
    4)Two Helms of Balduran is waaay cheesy

I actually only held onto a few identify scrolls and my robes (they give +1 to AC against slashing weapons). I figure Irenicus might have left those alone.

11. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

@HB: I cant remember, did you take this game on from BGI or was this a fresh game?

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think it was a fresh game.

You're pretty close to the end of SOA. But if you count TOB, then you're roughly half-way there.

13. Harbourboy

This is sort of a fresh game. Arya was a paladin in Baldur's Gate but when I tried to transfer her to BGII I couldn't get her stats to come across (it made me re-roll - an issue that nobody else ever seems to have encountered). So I took the opportunity to restart her using a new BGII kit - the Kensai.

Splunge - only halfway there??? This is going to take months! How on earth do any of you people manage to play this through so many times?

14. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Half way in terms of XP maybe, but in terms of playing time somewhere between 50% and 65% IMO.

Well the first time you try something, you try half a dozen or so tactics untill you find one that works. Second time you go right to the thing that works. Oh, and you hit enter a lot, to get through the dialogs fast. ( well its not like I've not seen them a bunch of times already)

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

We dont have anything else better to do :D thats how...

I've never heard of anyone that had to re-roll for the stats (probably somthing to do with the kits), although I have heard a lot of people have winge about somthing that happens to their PC after imported into SoA!

16. Laertis Gems: 5/31

Actually i had to re-roll the stats also once with an imported BG1 character. But i hadn't ended the game with him nor reached the limit of the experience in BG1. Maybe it has something to do with it?

Btw, great thread.

17. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

I used all the tomes and finished the game, I imported my final save and it worked perfectly... which stats were changed?

18. San Ti Gems: 5/31

its not sooo cheesy if you just import some of the items in but it still a spoiler to SoA

19. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

I did reck it slightly by doing it, if I find its too easy by the time I get out of Irens dung heap I'll pluck up the courage to drop everything... even my golden pantaloons...

20. Laertis Gems: 5/31

That only happened once...and it isn't the stats that change. The games asks to roll the stats in the character building screen after importing it. It's like importing a character normally but instead of only asking for the spells, thief skills, weapon proficiences, looks & sound and name it also asks to roll the stats...strange. But as i said it only happened once for me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.