1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG Prequel anyone?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Elfen Lied, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

The ending of TOB pretty much means no sequel, but what about a prequel to the whole series?

I doubt they would make a game where you play as the child of your character from BGII, even if in some of the epilogues for the various NPCs it says they had a child with your character.

I wouldnt mind a game set during the time of Balduran, Balduran is who the city of Baldur's Gate is named after.

or maybe some kind of spin off, you cant really get a sequel to TOB, as well your character can be lvl 40 or higher, and that is far too high a lvl to start a (new) game at.

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Or maybe the child of the child of Bhaal ;)

doohh

[ September 17, 2007, 12:39: Message edited by: Shaitan ]

3. Elfen Lied

like i said I doubt they would do that

4. oiseaugrande Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I dont know how you figure there wouldn't be much of a story line for a BG3 set after the events of ToB...its been a while since Ive played, so here's what Wikipedia says the ending is:
    **MAJOR Spoiler**

Ultimately, the player must vanquish all competitors and be presented with the choice of ascending the throne of Bhaal and becoming the new God of Murder, or destroying it and returning to peaceful life as a mortal. The Main Character may also ascend the throne of Bhaal and banish Bhaal's evil essence, becoming a deity dedicated to good and righteousness.

Seriously, how could you NOT come up with a wicked BG3 after that?? Picture this: farmer, devoted to his crops (just south of Baldur's Gate) and the quiet life is waylayed by a group of mercenaries from the (Moonshae Isles), who are some kind of advance force ready to lay waste to the sword coast. It just so happens that this same farmer happens to be the God of Murder. "You just @&#%$& with the wrong country bunmpkin!"
    Like wow...replace Moonshae Isles with another kingdom around BG...I mean the possibilities are endless!! Baldur's Gate prequel: :( . Baldur's Gate Sequel: :) !!!

5. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Er, actually, isin't the announced Baldur's Gate III suppose to be a prequel of sorts set many years ago (albeit unrelated to) before the events of BGII?

I remember reading that somewhere before... I think it was in an interview in PC Gamer.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yep. Though considering how long ago that's been, it doesn't mean that the plans haven't changed since then, given that nothing came of that particular BG3 idea.

7. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If its made its going to be in 3.5 rules. Or 4th ed. That would completely ruin the game for me. I hope it never ever gets made. The BG saga ended really well after all. I`m kind of hoping for a dragonlance game, or something like that. I`m kind of tired of the Forgotten realms really.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Any new game coming out now will be 4e, definitely.

9. Elfen Lied

yeh i heard something long time ago, i just thought id get your guys opinions on it.

10. oiseaugrande Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Black Isle was thinking about making a BG3 called 'BG3: The Black Hound' but it wasnt going to have anything to do with the BG series at all... the only reason it incorporated BG into its title was because of copyright/rights ownership issues. It was scraped, thankfully, cause word on the street was that it would have a hard level 8 cap!

11. Elfen Lied

lvl 8 WTF???

thank god it was scraped

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I find low level adventures more interesting. People don't simply step on traps because their uber character "can take it", and any fight is a challenge.

Baldur's Gate is a place on the map of Faerum, people. In fact, it didn't even appear in SoA or ToB. Thinking that a game without Bhaalspawn cannot be called "Baldur's Gate" is very narrow minded.

On the other hand, if it does not relate to the Bhaalspawn saga (either as a prequel, or a sequel), it should not include the "3" in the title.

13. Elfen Lied

those BG games on console (Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance) dont have Bhaalspawns in them do they? so why couldnt one on PC

The hobbit is the prequel to LOTR, but its almost like its own book, why couldnt a new game be like that? it can be part of the series (some how not sure how though), but works perfectly fine as a seperate entity

14. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wouldn't mind seeing a Prequel that included the likes of Gorion, the Mirrorshades, Firkragg(sp?:S) and other various characters which tie into the plot before you were raised (or even born). Sure, we all know how it ends, but there could be quests like trying to track down Sarevok in Baldur's Gate. I would much rather have a prequel over a sequel...just my thoughts.

15. Elfen Lied

I really just want a new game in the BG series on PC, it doesnt really have to be part of the Bhaalspawn saga, but a new game that is as huge and as well thought out in terms of story and characters as the original series was.

the ones on console were ok, butthey could have been better.

16. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I would like it if in the BG prequel they could explain how you got your Bhaalspawn powers in the first place. I don't know... maybe like having some sort of microscopic critter in your blood that makes you be able to do magic things. I think an explanation along those lines would be just perfect. :rolleyes:

[ September 24, 2007, 23:06: Message edited by: Giles Barskins ]

17. Elfen Lied

its more like how a gene is passed from one generation to the next, rather than a "bug" or other microscopical creature or thing

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

It's explained in the game as the "essence" of Bhaal giving you the power. Depending on your alignment you bend it to be anywhere from chaotic evil abilities to lawful good (cure light wounds to Larilocs(SP) minor drain). It's all explained and covered in the BG1.

A BG game (not titled BG3 maybe), but still containing BG in the name would be nice to see. Especially if it was a campaign setting that covered the history of Baldur's Gate or it's various involvement with so many of the other city-states in the region, like Waterdeep. Both cities combined forces multiple times to fight off everything from troll armies to goblin+devil armies.

If it's a BG3 prequel then it would be neat to play as one of the many groups getting involved with Bhaal's plots. Maybe a path to be one of his followers or someone like Gorion, who steps in to prevent massacres from occuring.

19. Elfen Lied

this idea seems the most logical/possible i think. some game that has BG in the title but isnt part of the bhaalspawn saga, like the BG: Dark Alliance series on console were.

20. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I think one of the main issues with trying to get a good immersive and expansive game these days is cost though. You'll never see games like BG and PS:T and FO2 because unlike then, the cost of adding content that may not be discovered isn't worth it. Too much is being put into graphics because people can't seem to play games unless they are state-of-the-art in appearance. So a new BG game would definately turn out to be a NWN2 type flop, despite the opportunity for a really good plot hook.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.