1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG TotSC No Disk in Drive problem

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by frizzy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. frizzy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

(apologies if this has been asked a hundred times before...)

Installed TotSC over BG. Try to go to Ulgoth's Beard, game asks for Disc 6, I put Disc 6 in disk drive, and all I get is the screen saying "No Disc in Drive Place CD 6 in Drive"

Disc 6 worked for the TotSC install and for starting the game, but it's not recognized if I actually try to go to the Ulgoth's Beard map.

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't know which OS you are using, so you may need to use an admin account and deal with UAC to edit an .ini file. It would also help to know if you have more than one CD/DVD drive on your system or if you reconfigured your system in such a way that the drive letters are affected since you installed the game. Hopefully these generalized instructions will allow you to figure it out, but I have a tenancy to be too technical.

First, insert the TOTSC CD in the drive. Wait a second for it to mount. Then go to My Computer (or Computer in Vista and 7) and look for the CD. Take note of the drive letter for the CD-ROM.

Now check your Baldur.ini file in C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate.
    That is, Open My Computer, open the C drive, open Program Files (It's "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit operating systems,), then open a folder called "Black Isle", then "Baldur's Gate".

Find Baldur.ini, a configuration file. If you have your views set to hide extensions (the default), note that there are two files called Baldur, one is the game program with the symbol of Bhaal, the other has a generic icon, you want the latter.
    Open that file with Notepad.

Near the beginning you should see a section marked "[Alias]" It should look something like this:
    Code:
    [Alias]
    HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\
    CD1:=F:\CD1\;G:\cd1\
    CD2:=F:\CD2\;G:\cd2\
    CD3:=F:\CD3\;G:\cd3\
    CD4:=F:\CD4\;G:\cd4\
    CD5:=F:\CD5\;G:\cd5\
    CD6:=G:\CD6\;F:\cd6\

Look at the line that says "CD6" in your file. Make sure that the letter between the equals sign and the colon matches the drive letter you have TOTSC installed in. If you have more than one CD-ROM (or DVD-RW), make entires for all of them. I myself have two CD-ROMs on my old Win98/XP system, the original CD-ROM on drive F and a CD/DVD burner on drive G. Look at my example and see how there are two entries for each line separated by semicolons, you can do the same. Otherwise yours will only have one entry and no semicolon.
    If you put entries for all your CD drives on all the lines, you don't have to worry about which drive to put the CDs in and you can reduce disc swapping.

Hope this helps, if I'm being too technical I can try to clarify what's unclear.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, did any of this help resolve the issue? Let us know. We can't be of further help without feedback.

4. frizzy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Turns out it was one of those "assertion failed" problems... didnt' notice at first because in Win7 the blue screen doesn't pop up anymore and it took me a while to notice the icon to click on to bring up the error message...

so I did combinations of reinstalls, full reinstalls, patching, reinstall as admin until some combination fixed the problem - for now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.