1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG2:EE style stats for Gord?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Eyebreaker7, May 24, 2016.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I just ordered the book so I can re-read it after about 20+ years. All I can remember is that they list his stats and such in the back of the book. I googled around and found his stats and equipment & I'm wondering what they would be for BG2EE:

Str 17 Int 16 Wis 14 Dex 18 Con 16 Cha 15 Com 14

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    What's the problem? It's the standard 6-stat split apart from Charisma which is split into Charisma and Comeliness. Comeliness is basically his Appearance score as it's called in some systems.

You can just ignore the Com score and that's it since by default Charisma includes both (which is stupid but whatever).

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The problem is simple, I'm not sure if his stats should be different? Maybe they changed throughout the series of books? I've only ever read the 1st one. Didn't know there is more until I started looking into Gord again. Looks like I have some reading to do :1eye:
    Does anyone know if his stats change at all? Up or down?

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    What difference does it make?

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I'm wanting to try him as my main character :1eye:
    Hmm. Do you think he'd have any kit? Didn't think about that until now.

6. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Assuming you want to dual wield a dagger and shortsword, you could go with swashbuckler, since they get to put 3 pips in dual wielding. the big disadvantage there is that you lose the ability to backstab.
    Another possibility is to go dual class, since Gord is a human, and go Fighter/Thief. (I'd go either pure or barbarian kit for the fighter part.)

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Wait rogues still can't put 3 points into dual-wielding? I thought that was fixed.

Maybe it's just with Rogue Rebalancing mod...

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Wow, I haven't thought of Gord in a really long time. A quick look at the wiki and I think I have all of the books except the last two (which came out after an 8 and then a 10 year wait). I wonder if they hold up? I may have to track them down.

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    For some odd reason I don't like the swashy but why choose barbarian for a dual?

10. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    To be honest, it all depends on if you are going to solo or not. Barbarian gives you several benefits, the biggest of which is the rage ability.
    Rage will protect you from charm, hold, fear, maze, stun, sleep, confusion and level drain. This is a big deal, because if you are going to solo you won't have many other ways to protect yourself against these status effects, especially since you won't have any spell casting abilities.

The biggest disadvantage to going barbarian over fighter is that you can only put 2 pips in any weapons style, instead of 5.
    However, considering you'll want to dual class at lvl 13 at the latest (and i would advice dualing as soon as you hit level 9), you're only ever going to be able to get 5 pips in one weapon anyway, so you won't be making the most use out of at least one of your weapons (Assuming you go with a shortsword+dagger setup like Gord is described using.)
    Still, the difference between 2 or 5 pips is +2 to hit, +3 damage, and 2 attacks per round (with that specific weapon.)
    The fact that Berserkers can't wear anything heavier then splint mail doesn't matter at all, you don't want to wear anything that would disable your thieving skills anyway.

TL, DR; If you are going to solo, go with barbarian, so you can protect from game-ending status effects, though your damage output will be lower. If you are going to create a party, or take some of the existing NPC's along with you, then go with fighter for the higher damage output.

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    No soloing here. I always have a full party. Never enough room either. Lol.
    Going to dual at 9 then.
    Thanks everyone :tie:

12. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Yeah, you get 4 proficiencies at character creation, you can put 2 in any category at the start. you'll want to put 2 in either daggers or shortwords (whichever you want 5 pips in) so you can put the ones you get at lvl 3,6 and 9 into it as well.
    I'd suggest putting the remaining 2 points you get when you make the character either into the other weapon OR into the dual wielding style, since thieves can only put 1 pip into either, so putting 2 pips into it as a fighter will give you the most out of your proficiencies.

Alternatively, you can choose to dual at 13, so you can put 5 into shortswords, and 3 into dual wielding as a fighter. you can then later put 1 point into daggers with the proficiency you gain as a thief. (or simply dual wield two short swords instead.)

The problem with dualling at 13 is that you'd need to gain 880000 exp to get to thief lvl 14 and regain your fighter skills.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.