1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boards Upgraded - Server Move Coming Up

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've just performed an upgrade of our message boards to the last version in the 3.x line of the software. As it turned out, various support posts indicating compatibility with newer PHP versions were incorrect and the version that we were using didn't fully support PHP 5.3.x that we're running on the new server. The plan was to be moving the site and forums to the new server at the moment but that's been delayed a bit since I now had to perform this upgrade as a prerequisite first.

I wasn't planning on ever upgrading to this version since it's only included about 20 fixes for relatively obscure issues that weren't really affecting us, but as it turned out one of them would have been a problem on the new server, so here we are.

The move of the site & forums is currently scheduled to start happening about 19 hours from now.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're reading this, you've made it to the new server!

I've got a few more things to fix up, but the boards should be fully functional already. If you spot any problems anywhere, please let me know!

Montresor likes this.
  3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Where are all the haters now?! ;) Nice and smooth. :thumb:

Taluntain likes this.
  4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Huh, thought we'd moved to the new servers already since the boards were running quite smoothly for me for the past few weeks. Or did RPGCodex migrate first to the new server, which reduced the load on the old server?

5. Taluntain

Media:
    ^ that, yes. I moved the Codex first so I could see how much of an impact it had on the new server alone. Then a while later I started moving the other sites and finally SP last. But since Codex is by far the most resource-intensive, as soon as it was off the old server the other sites were running much more smoothly.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ah, that makes sense. I was thinking the same thing as henkie.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I never really noticed any problems before, but the good news is that I am still not noticing any problems!

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe! Yeah, that's nicely put, Harbs. Same here, btw.

Edit: That was odd. right after I posted that, I wanted to reload the page and my browser told me it couldn't load the page because there were some difficulties connecting to the server.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. Taluntain

Media:
    That was intentional! Well, not exactly intentional, but caused by me doing something on the server, so no worries. ;)

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah! That's good! :) I thought I'd just mention it. I'm so glad it's just you who's causing all the trouble, Tal. :p

11. Taluntain

Media:
    And now after a bunch of configuration changes and optimization, everything's running properly fast as well. Makes using the boards much better, doesn't it? ;)

12. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Bah! Upgrade, fast, who cares? It's not like this was even an issue a few weeks ago or anything. :rolleyes:

In other words, :thanks:. People always take it's working properly for granted.

Taluntain likes this.
  13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow! Come back after a few weeks absence, and the Boards are suddenly like any other site speed-wise. :D :thumb:

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is there any way to have the script that contains the G+ and FB "Like" buttons not hang up the browser until they're loaded?

Now that everything's faster this is slowing things down for me. Most of the page loads but then I can't scroll (or do anything else with the browser) until the "Like" buttons load.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't think either FB or Google provide anything in terms of that. The only thing I can think of is putting them in an iframe, which might work... I'm not seeing the issue you're mentioning though, in Firefox I don't need to wait for them to load. Which browser are you using?

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IE. It's worse when the "Like" buttons are prevented from loading (i.e. at work ;) ) since I assume some timeout condition has to occur before the script completes. Sometimes I even get a popup saying that a script is taking too long to complete, do I want to halt it? But I notice it when at home too.

It's not that big of a deal, just thought I'd mention it.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Could be an IE-only issue... getting these buttons to show at least vaguely the same in all the browsers was a major pain in the ass.

Is anyone else having the same problems, IE or otherwise?

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have that issue with IE at home. Chrome at work is not a problem.

19. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

There is a reason most of us have moved away from the craptastic IE onto other browsers I have no issues with Firefox personally.

20. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

No problems for me - I use Firefox. And yes, thumbs up on the move and update! I didn't really notice problems before or a difference afterwards, but not noticing these things is always a good sign that everything went exceptionally smoothly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.