1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Book Reviews Index

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been wanting to open a thread like this for a while now, but I never got around to it. However, now that Kitrax approached me with a similar idea, I think it's high time I started one.

Now, the problem I am faced with here is that if we have a single thread for book reviews, then comments on every book review also have to be posted there, and the whole thing becomes one big, hard to follow mess of reviews and comments.

What I propose for now is that this thread here serves only as an index for the reviews which you will post as separate threads in this forum. Eventually, if there is enough interest, we can move the whole book reviews thing to a separate forum, but this should work well enough for now.

So, how does the whole thing work? Very simple. You open a new thread with the author's name and book's title (e.g. Terry Pratchett - Going Postal Review) in the Booktalk forum, post your review there (doesn't need to have a numerical score at the end), then post in THIS thread with ONLY the title of your review thread and a link to it. I'll put a placeholder post in this thread as well, so that when people post links to their reviews in this thread, I'll be able to sort them alphabetically into a neat index. I'll post an example of one of my reviews so you can see what I mean.

Now, for the rules...

1. Please take some time and effort to write your reviews. They don't need to be a mile long, they can be shorter than my own example, but you can take my own as a general template. It's not one of my best, but it should serve well enough in this case. ;)
    2. If your book is a part of a series, you should write which series and where the book fits in inside your review as well as in the notice you post in this thread.
    3. Only post reviews of books you have read completely. Don't post a review of a book you've read 30 pages of and then say the whole thing sucked so much you couldn't read any more. That can't be an objective review of any book.
    4. If you like (or dislike) something in a book, make sure to explain your reasons sufficiently. The readers of your review aren't able to guess why you didn't like something, for example, if you don't provide arguments for it.
    5. Please post as few spoilers about the book's plot and characters as possible. Descriptions are fine and necessary, but going into more detail about things revealed only later in the book is really not desirable. No one wants to have his or her reading experience spoiled too much!
    6. Multiple reviews of the same book by different board members are fine. The reviews will be indexed by book author/title as well as the name of the reviewer.

If there are any questions, please post them here or PM me and I'll update this thread with clarifications, but don't post them here so we can keep this thread focused on its indexing purpose.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Book Reviews Index

Brown, Dan - The Da Vinci Code (Harbourboy)
    Cornwell, Bernard - The Winter King [The Warlord Chronicles - Book #1] (The Kilted Crusader)
    Erikson, Steven - Gardens of the Moon [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)
    Erikson, Steven - Deadhouse Gates [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #2] (Harbourboy)
    Erikson, Steven - Deadhouse Gates [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #2] (Chandos the Red)
    Erikson, Steven - Memories of Ice [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #3] (Harbourboy)
    Erikson, Steven - Memories of Ice [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #3] (Chandos the Red)
    Erikson, Steven - Midnight Tides [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #5] (Harbourboy)
    Erikson, Steven - Bonehunters - [Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #6] (Harbourboy)
    Feist, Raymond - Talon of the Silver Hawk [The Conclave of Shadows - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)
    Feist, Raymond - King of Foxes [The Conclave of Shadows - Book #2] (Chandos the Red)
    Feist, Raymond - Exile's Return [The Conclave of Shadows - Book #3] (Chandos the Red)
    Hobb, Robin - Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, Ship of Destiny [The Liveship Traders Trilogy - Books #1, #2, #3] (Apeman)
    Hobb, Robin - Ship of Magic [The Liveship Traders Trilogy - Book #1] (Harbourboy)
    Hobb, Robin - Shaman's Crossing [The Soldier Son Trilogy - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)
    Kemp, Paul S. - The Erevis Cale Trilogy (Gothmog)
    Keyes, Greg - The Briar King [The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)
    Keyes, Greg - The Charnel Prince [The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone - Book #2] (Chandos the Red)
    Martin, George R. R. - The Hedge Knight [A Song of Ice and Fire - Prequel] (Taluntain)
    Martin, George R. R. - A Game of Thrones [A Song of Ice and Fire - Book #1] (Apeman)
    Martin, George R. R. - A Feast for Crows [A Song of Ice and Fire - Book #4] (joacqin)
    Martin, George R. R. - Fevre Dream (Spellbound)
    May, Julian - Intervention [The Galactic Milieu Trilogy - Prequel] (Aikanaro)
    Mieville, China - Perdido Street Station (Aikanaro)
    Pratchett, Terry - Going Postal [Discworld, book #33 by the SP list.] (Taluntain)
    Salvatore, R. A. - Promise of the Witch King [Sellswords Trilogy - Book II] (Solus)
    Salvatore, R. A. - The Halfling's Gem [Icewind Dale Trilogy - Book #3] (Harbourboy)
    Scott, Martin - Thraxas [The Thraxas series - Book #1] (SatansBedFellow)
    Vance, Jack - Tales of the Dying Earth (SatansBedFellow)
    Williams, Tad - Shadowmarch [Shadowmarch - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)

Most of the fantasy books reviewed and discussed in this forum are listed, in order, on SP. You can support SP by buying through those links! But even if you don't intend on buying through our links, you can still benefit from the ordered lists: http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. Taluntain

Media:
    Pratchett, Terry - Going Postal [Discworld, book #33 by the SP list.] (Taluntain)

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Steven Erikson - Deadhouse Gates - Review
    (Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #2)

Deadhouse Gates

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon - Review
    (Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #1)

Gardens of the Moon

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Steven Erikson - Memories of Ice - Review
    (Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen - Book #3)

Memories of Ice

R. A. Salvatore - The Halfling's Gem - Review
    (Icewind Dale Trilogy - Book #3)

The Halfling's Gem

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

George R. R. Martin - A Game of Thrones - Review
    (A song of Ice and Fire #1)

A Game of Thrones

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

George R.R. Martin - Fevre Dream - Review

Fevre Dream

9. Harbourboy

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

11. Taluntain

Media:
  12. Harbourboy

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Robin Hobb - The LiveShip Trilogy - Review
    (Ship of Magic, book #1)
    (The Mad Ship, book #2)
    (Ship of Destiny, book #3)

The LiveShip Trilogy

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Steven Erikson - Deadhouse Gates - Review
    (Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen) - Book #2

Deadhouse Gates

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Julian May - Intervention - Review
    (Prequel to The Galactic Milieu Trilogy)

Intervention

16. Harbourboy

Hobb, Robin - Ship of Magic [The Liveship Traders Trilogy - Book #1] (Harbourboy)

[In the future, everyone please post notices here in the same format as in this post, so I can copy/paste them into the list directly. Thanks!] -Tal

17. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Martin Scott - Thraxas [the Thraxas series - Book#1] (SatansBedFellow)

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Keyes, Greg - The Briar King [The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone - Book #1] (Chandos the Red)

The Briar King

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Feist, Raymond - Talon of the Silver Hawk [The Conclave of Shadows - Book #1](Chandos the Red)

Talon of the Silver Hawk

20. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Bernard Cornwell - The Winter King [The Warlord Chronicles - Book #1] (The Kilted Crusader)

The Winter King

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.