1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cannot enter Mortuary, Apothecary, or Curiosity Shoppe

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by bobisimo, Jun 14, 2008.

1. bobisimo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm not sure if there is anything that can help me, but I appear to be stuck in my playthrough. :(

The bug: I cannot enter the Mortuary, the Apothecary, or the Curiosity Shoppe anymore. I had been able to, but now I cannot. There may be other locations I can't go. When I try to do these things, I get the auto-save, and then crash to desktop.

The install: I installed the 2-CD version of the game (pre-patched to 1.1) and then installed the Fix Pack, then Unfinished Business, and then the Tweak Pack patches. I finished by installing the widescreen mod. I used the latest versions as of a week ago or so (when the news was posted regarding these three patches).

The complication: I wanted to try some different resolutions so I re-installed the widescreen mod a few times during my playthrough to mess with different resolutions. Is it possible this broke the above areas? Also, the greater complication is that I noticed the game running with less stability, so I copied my saves and re-installed everything as above (which, as I've read, was probably the biggest mistake).

Work-around: Is there anything I can do? I tried deleting the two area files from override (0609 and 0612 I believe). I tried using the TeamBG Torment mod to give myself the items I had not yet bought from the Curiosity Shoppe so I could move on further. I tried leaving the area and coming back.

Am I pooched? Is there absolutely anything I can do aside from starting over completely? I've finished about every quest up until now. I've been so thorough. But knowing I'm supposed to come back to the Mortuary at some point on the critical path, and knowing I can't do that, makes me think I'm stuck.
    Help?

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    There's a known bug with getting into the Mortuary in the 2-CD version. Have you tried every possible way of getting into the mortuary? Aside from just walking in, you can ask the Dustman near the door (forgot his name) to "sneak" you in if you pretend to be dead, and you can (of course) die anywhere in the Hive, which will take you back to the slab where the game begins. Does either method also crash the game?

3. bobisimo Gems: 1/31

When I started the game, I had no troubles moving back and forth between the hive and the mortuary. I usually re-entered by talking to the Dustmen at the gate, though I also slipped in via death a few times. Now, the game consistently crashes on load. The only thing I changed, like I said, was that I re-installed the game and all the same patches.

:(

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There may be problems with saved games after a re-install. If so, you may have to start over again. :(

Can you enter the Mortuary by dying or having Pox smuggle you in? There is a crash problem with the first floor which doesn't affect the second floor.

You will need to enter the second floor of the Mortuary towards the end but you don't have to enter the first floor.

5. bobisimo Gems: 1/31

Thank you for the responses!

Well, I tried speaking with Pox and it worked! I don't know why I didn't try that before. Sorry!

So I tried entering the upper floor and lower floor and all of that worked, too. I then left the place and spoke with one of the Dustmen and I am now able to enter the Mortuary! Yay!

But I think I may still be stuck. I still cannot enter the Apothecary or the Curiosity Shoppe. I also realized I cannot enter the Linguist's house, either. At the Festival Hall, I went to the private Sensate area, and spoke with Ravel. She said that I needed to find the door and the key and to know the key. I can enter the Forge to find the door, so I think that's OK. But from what I understand I can't do the other two things because of the areas that are blocked to me.

But I am not completely sure what to do, so I may be wrong. Am I wrong? :)

6. Nordom Gems: 1/31

if you cant get to the linguist your in trouble, apothecary not so much

7. Qwinn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This issue is currently under a lot of discussion on the UI mod forum over at Spellhold Studios. It is specific to the 2CD version of the game only - it has to do with the game being unable to decompress certain area files that are compressed in the 2CD version but not the 4CD version.

Lots of details here, though I'm not sure if they'll help you with your current game.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=37619

The issue does indeed predate any existing mods. It makes me go "ngggg" every time I see a thread where someone asks "I'm looking to buy the game, is there a difference between the 2CD and 4CD versions?" and someone invariably replies "Nope, no difference at all."

Qwinn

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.