1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Can't Defeat Pelendralaar

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Spent 2 hours trying. I send my fighters in, get him down about 50% or so and by then he has toasted my healers on the back line. He then makes short work of my fighters.

One problem is that I can't flank him since he just parks himself on the narrow path. I've held back to try to lure him out but he just sits there and casts devistating spells. The last time I couldnt even bring 3 fighters into the conflict because he was too far down the narrow path.

Any tips?

2. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

SPOILERS

Hmmm. Pendee was a pushover for me. Got him (or it) on the first try with lots of HPs to spare. I wonder why?

I was able to attack him with both of my characters. Does one of the uber weapons stun or disable dragons or undead? I seem to remember just using the dreadsword and deathspike, though.

I think there are some damage reduction items you can use, but I'm not sure on this. If I remember correctly he was immune to my magic.

Make sure you haste your fighters and give them all the protections you can, and damage enhancements as well. I'll try to recall my tactics...

Maybe it was just because I had 2 level 30 characters with 150 or more HPs each?

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

He does over a 100 hp of damage in some of his attacks. I need to fork over deathspike to a fighter I think. My thief simply can't hit him effectively and he can't flank for the sneak attack. I think I might put him on healing duty and try just 2 fighters.

Did you manage to flush him out of his narrow path?

4. Thrasher91604

There was room enough for both of my characters to melee him, so the spawn point area narrowness didn't affect the battle.

I do remember that at some point he turned around as if he were trying to flee, but since there was no room for him to move, I got a few extra attacks.

If I hadn't uninstalled, I'd bring up my save for the battle, and see what I was using. I think the deathspike should help alot.

Hope this helps! :)

5. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Yeah I think I'll try to bring Deathspike to bear. Its pointless to have a triple damage weapon that can't hit - or perhaps I need to use bull strength on the thief first. BTW I think he turned around on you to do a tail attack. He has sooo many attacks :(

6. Thrasher91604

LOL! So that was what he was doing! I thought he was turning tail and trying to run....

7. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Alright so tonight I'll give it another try. I'm giving it 3 hours and that's it. Its bugging me to no end that I havent "finished" the final battle after a good 140 hours of playing.

I suppose if I have to - I'll use the character editor to cheat through with a GOD party - but I havent quite reached that level of desperation. Yet! ;)

8. Thrasher91604

Todd -

SPOILERS BELOW

Also try using the uber anti-dragon sword with your other frontliner. Make sure your frontliners are wearing CON, STR, and DEX increasing items. There's some great gloves / gauntlets that help with STR, CON, and DEX, i seem to remember. Also, there are some fantastic rings you can get from the idol. The idol gives much better rings once you've been to the elven catacombs. Some +6 attack rings come to mind, perfect in conjunction with the deathspike. It's a random thing so just reload until you get the right prize. :D

I'm sure you know this, but another must is hasting your party! Doing a prayer, holy might, stoneskin, plus all other combat enhancing buffs you can lay on should make it more doable. Don't spare a thing for this battle!

You might want someone with high dexterity, good reflex saving throws, and evasion (or even better, improved evasion) in the line of fire, with your other characters out of the way of the breath weapon. Reflex and evasion is key without elemental protections. Give the other front-liner fire resistant items and buff with fire protection spells.

It's awfully hard to use your clerics to heal a front-liner while getting sprayed with dragon breath. Use your paladin's lay on hands ability, since I think it can't be interrupted by breath damage. Also, there were some heal potions and rings I think, use them first before bringing your clerics into the line of fire.

Let me know if this helps!
    Thrasher

[ March 23, 2006, 23:12: Message edited by: Thrasher91604 ]

9. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I am pleased to report that the undead dragon is now un-undead. I didn't get a chance to read your post before making the attempt - but here is what I did - in case anyone ever gets to this point LOL.

I balanced out my Spell Resistance Items across the board and healing salves to the healers. Then I switch the Daemonclaws of Gr'Zak (+5/+5 Double damage gaunlets) to Gillian (my ranger) using the Draedsweord Demoniac but left Tudo with Deathspike. Durwyn (Dwarf Fighter) kept the Baneblade Movian.

First I brought everyone low on the platform while Kya was still clining to life in the hopes that the Dracolich would step out some onto the main platform to give my fighters more access. Luckily he did. Not enough to flank with Tudo, but enough to bring 3 fighters to bear.

I sent in the fighters right away and hasted them as soon as my wizards got a turn. That did the wizards in though - they got smoked in the second round to Dragon flame for -32/-22. ROFLMAO!

Faeril had to cast "Freedom of Movement" and "Remove Paralysis" on Durwyn twice - despite the +20 spell resistence of the Baneblade Movian. Go figure. I actually got an attack of opportunity in one round which really surprised me - that really hurt the Dracolich. On the next round he did a tail attack and took out Tudo for -8. Technically still alive ;) He never even got a hit since he couldnt flank. He was fodder but at least he absorbed an attack so he wasnt totally useless.

In the end my Ranger was hitting for 70+HP and Durwyn for only 25+HP. Tudo 0. The Daemonclaws of Gr'Zak were really the deciding factor. Every hit for my ranger was pretty potent. I'm pretty certain Pelendralaar would have smoked me yet again without the gauntlets.

BTW, that "victory" song was just plain painful LOL. HA HA HA. You know what? I kept playing after and got all the praise from everyone. It was a pretty nice way to end things. I really think POR2 is unappreciated.

So there it is. All 150+ hours of POR2. I'm done. Time for OBLIVION!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help Thrasher ;) I'll definately stick around this POR2 forum to help other brave adventurers. Myth Drannor is a great game!

10. Thrasher91604

Congratulations, and you're most definitely welcome!

Quite the epic finale you had! Mine was much less traumatic, but certainly satisfying!

We are now, both members of the club who refused to believe the game bashers, and proved them wrong by beating AND enjoying Ruins of Myth Drannor. :lol:

I think I'll buy the book and wallow in appreciation! :eek:

[ March 24, 2006, 22:35: Message edited by: Thrasher91604 ]

11. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Whoops its 3AM and I just stopped playing Oblivion LOL. Get the POR book its great. I was surprised how good it was - I just finished it yesterday!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.