1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cathedral in Alley of Dangerous Angles

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Sprite, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Could someone please tell me how to enter the cathedral in the Alley of Dangerous Angles? I have looked at all the walkthroughs on this site and while the text has given me lots of spoilers that prove it's enterable (aargh! spoilers!) I can't find a picture with the entrance marked. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Open a map screen then click on red circle twice to position a cursor over the entrance.
    That should do it.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    u can simply scan over the south eastern part of the structure until u fint the entrance and then let ur char's make their own way there

4. Sprite Gems: 15/31

I hadn't realized that those red pointy things on the map indicated the entrance- I thought they were centered on the structure they pointed to- so that has made my game-playing experience much more fun. Thanks for the tip, Extremist!

Maybe you guys can help with another related problem though- by the time I finally got in, it seemed like the quest had expired.

Potential Spoiler
    I had this demon in a box that I had to take there to be exorcised by the priest in the cathedral. But the priest didn't give me any conversational options related to this box, so I looked at it again and found it had disappeared from my inventory, leaving a big jewel that seemed to have been pried loose from the box. Do you have any idea how this happened? Did the demon escape and pay me with the jewel for schlepping him around like I was some kind of taxi service?

And: any good reasons for becoming this priest's disciple? I usually play clerics so I like the idea (I really miss that class option in this game), but on the other hand it sounds like it could bring down the wrath of the Lady. Oh, wait, I bet this is covered in the faction read-me: if so please forgive me!

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Normally the priest takes the gem as payment but if u couldn't talk to him about it then i guess you must have somehow opened the box accidentally. YOU keep the gem If YOU open the box and kill the demon. However.......

Potential Spoiler
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    If you do the quest properly you can later in the game kill the demon which is banished by the priest. The demon appears around curst gone and leaves a nice belt plus giving you a whopping 200,000 exp aprox.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Ok, this is a total SPOILER about it all *evil grin* :p

First, I'm 100% sure that you opened the box. When you opened it, there should appear some yucky monster to fight. Did it happen?

And then you got the gem from the box in inventory.

As Bonzo said, if you don't open the box, you get the gem from Aola in Cathedral too, but he banishes the monster in a way you fight it later in the game and the monster then becomes pretty hard to kill (but also more rewarding). Aola will keep the gem as a prize, but you can steal it from him or buy it (300 coins normally, 200 coins if your charisma is 13 or better).

Be sure that you find Mar and mock him about that box when you got the gem (he'll hide in a building without roof - see western section of the NW Hive map).

The gem is not worthless - there is an wizard in Ragpicker's Square who needs it (the hut south of Mebbeth's).

-----------------------------

Do become disciple of Aoskar! You'll get mazed after you try to exit Alley - in that maze you'll find kickass weapon and an item you're already searching for.

One thing more, if Aola falls in trans, just exit the Cathedral then reenter and he'll talk to you again.

7. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] That sucks totally. I opened the box, killed the demon thing and got the gem thinking I did a good job at avoiding the whole go here, do this trip. I guess I should have followed instructions?

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Thehehehe...

Come on! That's roleplaying - you do what you want to do in role you chose. It's not like most of BG2 quests where you have only one option - almost anything in PT can be done in several ways...

Besides, don't tell me that you won't finish that gorgeous game at least once again after you deal with it now! ;)

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Now that I have returned from Carceri I have followed your instructions, O Extremist, and I do indeed have a neato weapon as a result of having become a disciple of Aoskar. BUT! (Tell me you didn't know this was coming... ;)) I am stuck in that darn maze! I thought I followed the instructions pretty well but obviously my character's intelligence is higher than mine. Is there some trick I'm missing?

[Edit: and in answer to your question, I went back to an earlier save game and tried opening the box, so I know what you are talking about, but no, that hadn't happened yet when I got to the Cathedral. I did pass it from person to person a lot as I had a full inventory- maybe I opened it by mistake. Thanks again for all your help with this quest- although I'm embarrassed to *need* so much help!]

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited August 15, 2001).]

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Walk through the third portal (going clockwise) on the right hand side from the bottom up (SE corner). You'll be teleported to the other side. Now get back to the same portal that you just went through without going through any other portals, and this takes you to a portal which is alone (does not have an opposite). Go thru this portal and poof, you're out.

Make sure to explore the maze first and find your journal and the nifty hammer though.

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Thanks Taluntain. I thought I'd tried that with all the arches but I guess I missed that one.

Does anyone know if this is the standard maze you go to if you annoy the Lady of Pain? Do you go to the same place if you worship her via that rag doll?

I have to report that I am LOVING this game!

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Baby, if you love this game then I love you! That a girl! ;)

Ok, ok, lemme cut the fuss out...

Yes, it is the same maze you get into if you worship or mock the doll or if you kill a dabus, BUT...

THE SPOILER

If you already got into maze for the first time by any of the ways to get Lady's attention, second time she won't return you to maze - she'll kill you (for testing immortality against wrong creature)!

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 16, 2001).]

13. Ipsian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] If you kill lots of Dabus (whats the plural of Dabus? Dabuses?) and civilians etc then you get mazed. Correct? I've heard from people who have completed the game that you return to the hive, so if you kill lots of hive dwellers then, does she maze you again or kill you outright? just outta interest o' course

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

If you piss her by any way, there are only two possible consequences.

You piss her by one of these things:
    - becoming disciple of Aoskar
    - messing with her doll (while you're in Sigil)
    - killing dabuses (not dwellers IIRC)

First time you piss her - she mazes you.
    If you piss her EVER AGAIN - you're history.

15. Ipsian Gems: 1/31

touchy minx ain't she ;)

16. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Does the game just end if she kills you then?
    I know it says in the manual that "Powers" can kill you outright, but im thinkin' that this is good (for the charater, that is) because then you dont have to do the Fortress of Regrets-thingy.
    But the question is: What Happens if she kills You??

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] The game stops. For good.

18. Masa-mune Gems: 1/31

If you piss of the lady twice she kills you for good so you cant do the fortres of regrets.So what happens to a man that dies without his mortality?

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Lady of Pain is goddess.
    Nameless One lost mortality NOT by goddess.

What makes you think that Lady of Pain can't destroy Ravel's things?

20. Masa-mune Gems: 1/31

So by killing you the transcended one dies too.So what hapens if someones mortality dies? :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.